Bad Ping When Online - Please Help!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ho3n3r, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

So, I joined an online race somewhere on Thursday, where I noticed that the cars were weaving madly, like they were slalom skiing. I thought it might have been a temporary thing, and they even restarted the server.

That helped none, and then in the second race's qualifying, someone told me my ping was very bad - 600ms to 1100ms. I was baffled. My usual ping is around 200ms in rFactor 1, GSC and the like. And turns out I wasn't the only one.

Then I decided to ping the actual server's IP via command prompt, and what do you know - solid 190 - 200ms pings, consistently. Thus I thought there were gremlins on the server, rather than on my PC.

Then I decided to join a Nurburgring race somewhere else on Saturday, only to see that my ping is still massive, and this on a totally different server.

I must make aware that I changed the "Max Data per Client" or whatever the setting is called in Multiplayer.ini to 128, as recommended for lagginess before I joined on Saturday.

So, can anyone perhaps advise why I would have normal international ping, but have it be so exaggerated when actually online?

Thanks for any advice.

2. Luc Devin

Luc Devin Registered

200ms is already much then search server near you
    I sui 60ms but if I go on ISI servers I'm in the 150 -170
    And replace the multiplayer cause it works perfectly

3. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

How is South Africa "near" Europe?

The problem is not the 200ms ping, the problem is the 600 to 1100ms ping, which is obviously caused by something about rFactor 2, because I also had a 40 lap rFactor 1 race without any issues, and ping of 200ms. Then I tried rFactor 2 right after that race, with Firewall and AVG DISABLED TOTALLY, still same, bad, high ping.

There's really nothing I can think of to try anymore - it must be something in the game that exaggerates the ping the higher it goes, or maybe matchmaker? Anyone else have any further ideas?

4. hoover

hoover Registered

Are you racing over wireless? Some people have reported problems racing online with the launcher open, but we've never been able to confirm this one in internal testing.

Cheers, Uwe

5. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

Thanks for the reply, Uwe.

Unfortunately, it isn't wireles, it is ADSL. It is also fine in rFactor 1, as always. Thus, it seems rFactor 2 is creating some extra latency which is not normally there in its predecessor.

How do I race without having the launcher open? Good old Alt+Tab and then closing it there?

Thanks for the feedback.

6. ErnieDaOage

ErnieDaOage Registered

If u open the launcher hit the ADVANCED tab on the right and theres a box to check which says "Close this application after succesfull start of the simulation" right above your data path.

7. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

Nice, thanks :D Here's a like for your post.

I will try this later tonight...

8. hoover

hoover Registered

As far as I'm aware the people reporting the "launcher high latency" problem all raced over wireless (shame on them ;)), so I don't have any high hopes this will fix your problem. It's worth a try though.

It might also help to post your player.ini file or start with a fresh one if you've been updating this build for quite a while.

Uwe

9. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

Haha, indeed shame on them :p No, I mock, I was still one of those a mere 16 months ago... ouch.

With a base latency of 200ms to begin with, when everything is well-oiled, it might even be mimicking the same results as 3G, thus showing the same symptoms. Not likely, but you never know.

Also, I purchased the game on the 9th of June 2012, and have been running auto updater ever since. Do you think this is long enough to cause latency issues, and if so, do you know which files that are updated in the process, could possibly cause high latency?

I will post my player.ini here as well, maybe it'll give some clues, but I haven't changed it much.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2014
  10. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

You can save your PLR, Config and Controller files and reinstall everything. I'm sure it will help after all this time.
    View attachment 11458

11. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

Thanks. I'll do that after the first 2 suggestions ;)

12. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

OK, so after trying all of the above, I just screwed it and did a complete reinstall, and it is 100% fixed now - thus I have no idea what the cause was.

But thanks for all of your assistance, really appreciate it...

13. hoover

hoover Registered

Good to hear a re-install appears to have solved your problems.

Uwe

14. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

How much CPU are you using?
    Read the bottom FAQ query on this page:
    http://rfactor.net/web/rf2/rf2help/

15. 88mphTim

Possibly returned you to default settings. If you put higher detail on again watch your CPU usage.

16. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

No idea what the CPU usage, or indeed the cause was, as stated in the previous post, but it's solved now, somehow, due to a full reinstall.

By the way, in that FAQ it states that 150ms and higher pings can be a problem, whilst pings from South Africa, and surely other countries as well, are never less than 180ms, in fact mostly arount 200ms - yet rFactor 1, Game Stock Car, Simbin titles etc. have never given issues. What is it in rFactor 2 that would make it so fragile towards 150ms ping, and would you have any way or ideas to optimise this in the future?

Thanks for reading my post.

17. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

Aha. Gotcha, will check it out. :)

18. 88mphTim

Pings above 150ms give a range of problems in any software. Racing with a ping above 150ms might not appear to be a problem, but if you are racing someone else with that ping, it is a third of a second before the other guy sees what you did, then two third of a second before you see his reaction to it. I'd recommend no higher than 150ms with rFactor 1, too.

19. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

Have really never had an issue with rFactor 1, with my SA ping. In fact, I ran multiple races in rFactor 2 with my South African ping in June last year when I re-bought it, and never had any weird issues like this. ;) Are you saying I must stop playing a game that I bought to play online, online?

By the way, I quickly maxed out my graphical settings in the game itself, and while the game stutters, like it will inevitably. the ping is still normal, i.e. around 200ms, but CPU usage is at 70-80%.

Hope this means something to you.

20. 88mphTim

Nope. I'm not quite sure how you're getting that from simple advice that pings above 125ms can cause issues. Doesn't mean they will. Spikes are far worse, and the bigger a ping is, usually the more hops and the larger chance of there being a break somewhere, and spikes. Lower pings are just better, for many reasons. :)

With stuttering, the ping will not be stable. There will be spikes. Spikes are the problem, not the base ping necessarily. Again, please read the FAQ linked, specifically:
    Essentially, any time you have lots of visible cars, you might be getting spikes, due to CPU usage capping out.