[RELEASE] Nordschleife Tourist v1.65 beta

Discussion in 'Locations' started by pleclair, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Had a quick testrace and saw this too. I checked the AIW and there was a little slowdown under the bridge. I normalized this. The main problem seems to be the start finish line. The line is 500 meters away from the grid and it looks like the car on pole has to reach the finish line first. If car number 2 is in lead it hits the brakes until the car on pole is in front.

2. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Sorry, I should have elaborated instead of just pasting in the original text. By "artistic choices" I am meaning all the things that are not realistic (24h race campers and fires in the Tourist version, the old or imaginary curbs, etc.). And yes, "that" conversion is the one I am talking about.

It was just a point to ponder...not something you have to worry about or distract you from the great work you are doing.

3. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Well, the 24h objects are totally optional. I thought it was clear when you install the track in the mod manager.

There is no other difference between track detail max and high, beside these objects, so if you want them, you enable them, if not, you set it to high...

I don't think this can displease to anyone really.. I prefer having them around, even if they dont look at their best, even if in normal tourist lapping, they wouldnt be there... i like to think these people would come see me race if I was there alone on the circuit :p

4. pleclair

pleclair Registered

I have just fixed my AIW, fixed the garage path, they now exit the paddock smoothly, and join the fast line smoothly as well.

Thanks for hinting me in the right direction! I will test it some more and send the update later today.

EDIT: I also noticed this behavior, that the position must be kept until start/finish.. but with your AIW, the race started further away from the start/finish, so it didnt helped... the original grid starts a bit closer, in front of the paddock, so it's less of a problem...

5. bwana

bwana Registered

+1 really I don't get people complaining at all ?? its kinda weird .. If they don't like it, simple, don't drive it .. The work that has gone into this piece of art is astounding and people should be grateful.

Keep it up

6. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Its a project in development and Pleclair welcomes comments from users. 'don't drive it' is kinda counter productive in that sense. I think Pleclair does quite a good job in honouring certain requests and ignoring others, its his project. but it don't mean people shouldn't comment, after all this track is mainly for passionate geeks so one can expect passionate comments as well, comes with the territory :)

7. pleclair

pleclair Registered

@Tosch:

Any idea why my new AIW works perfectly in the dev mode, and I tested everything, ai from pit, ai around lap, race works too. I just raced it.

But when I package it and try it in real mode, it crashes at the end when loading it. I don't get it. I just delete all the paddock waypoints, and created two new paths marked as 1st pit extension, and rebuild the corridors after.

The only other thing I did was to fix the start finish line by moving some waypoints around and smoothing it. I dont believe it is related to this.. so its must be because of the new pit paths?

EDIT: I have found my problem! I had it before, but I didnt remembered what I had done to fix it. After re-reading my post to you, it ringed a bell... I created the two new paths in the pits, but forgot to cap the end. Seems this works in the dev mode, but it crashes in real game.

Fixed now... will test it some more in the real game some more and send the update later.

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2014
  8. pleclair

pleclair Registered

I agree with this. I welcome comments and most of the time, I'm happy to answer requests as well.

But honestly.... there is only two reasons I can see why they create such a fuss... the first is obvious.. they add another layer of difficulty to the already difficult track. But again... it should be even harder than this, if we would have proper racesurface damage and bumps.

The second is, it's not as it is in real life. This I can understand better. However, if you had seen what I seen, the track is far from being accurate. It looks alike, but is far from it. In fact, it's so different that it could never be made accurate.. thats why a start from scratch would be needed.

So, if you can accept the fact that its not accurate, why you can't accept some changes? Even atm, with the side stretches, it makes a lot of screenshots from default camera locations more interesting... it's not like this sort of thing is never found on road sides...

@Denstjiro, I know I started replying to you, but when I say you later down the post, I'm not referring to you, but other people that dislike the kerbstones. I know you like them. :)

EDIT: But you have to understand that I have spent many hours to get them in... maybe professional modelers would do this in a blink, but I don't... it was done by hand, extruding every polys... so it took a while to do all around track, and I won't spend as much time to get them out just because of few dislikes them... I'm sorry... can we please speak of something else now?

9. Tosch

Tosch Registered

When you delete stuff like the pit path all connections (pit spot to pit path, garage location to pit path) are lost. rFactor has to rebuild them. To make this happen you have to leave the track. When you load the track again (in devmode) rFactor creates the new connections. Now you have to do a "final" save waypoints to store the information about the connections in AIW.

10. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Didn't say I like'em, I don't mind them. subtle difference. and I mainly don't mind them because you decided it is going to stay. as an artist I can relate to that. it not just a technical project, it's very much a creative project as well and that is always open for debate but ultimately lies in the creators ball court-thingy.

I have to say though, when you say its not accurate anyways, so whats the problem with those kind of changes. then you might as well add a loop to it. because its fun and not accurate anyways.
    I think people mentioning the curbs are going for something that might not be accurate but are going for the closest thing. and in that sense I agree that adding stuff that should not be there....might be an ongoing issue.
    Mind you, I don't even know if they where there at one point or another. but there is some weight to those arguments when aiming for some sort accuracy. If those curbs where never there then its a fantasy element added on a track where fans can get quite obsessive.
    you inherited and obsessive audience Pleclair, and that is both good and bad :)

11. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Absolutely. I am not a Ring buff or fan so to me this idea of the kerb discussion is disproportionate. Maybe the people don't understand the bits I highlighted from your post and think it's an actual accurate representation? I understand wanting things to be as real life, for example I'd be super keen on accurate Suzuka/Rouen/Mosport/Spa, but if a project to convert them was already something off, I'd never get hung up on it. Personally I'd wait for a version that fits my needs and wants - even if it means not being able to drive them - and the Ring being so much bigger than the ones I listed, for example, I can give more leeway towards inaccuracies. But some people really are fixated with the Ring that they just want it.

12. Voltaic

Voltaic Registered

@ pleclair

Can you please update the thread's title and place the latest version's link on the 1st post. Avoids confusion. Thank you!

13. canastos

canastos Registered

Great job so far, pleclair :D

Just a "little" hole I've found when doing a relax lap
    [​IMG]

byyyyyyyye

14. Ecco_pRv

Ecco_pRv Registered

+1

…great work, looking forward to your next AIW update. 100% challenge accepted!
    ;-)

15. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

If you are reading the thread, you'll see that it is on purpose that the thread title is not updated.

16. GTrFreak

GTrFreak Registered

Hi there folks!

Been following almost every page in this thread and I want to thank you pleclair for your hard work, sweat and tears..
    I really appreciate your work, a lot!

Now, I didn't reply to the whole 'kerb-discussion' but at this point I just have to give my opinion.

I know this version of Nords isn't accurate to the real-life counterpart, to start with. I do like the amount of atmosphere this track has as opposed to the more sterile GTR Evo version. Therefor, I was incredibly excited when I found out you wanted to convert this track to rF2.

I get more and more excited with each update but when I saw you had added those kerbstones (out of nowhere) I was really surprised. I understand this is your project and you may decide what you want, and don't want to do with it. I just think you want to give yourself and the whole community a fantastic experience with this project. The difficulty is with every person driving this track, everyone has their own opinion about it.. Nothing to be worried about, IMO.

I do understand the fuss about those kerbs. We all love simracing, we all love track detail and atmosphere. We also DON'T drive NFS shift (those tracks are not THAT bad actually) because we don't like the arcade additions to those tracks. They don't 'feel' real-life or natural at all. So when you do add them, it actually worsens the immersion.

Saying that we would like to get those kerbs removed because of driving bad, and getting off-track a lot is well.. bollocks (as brittish people say, I think)
    It's because it feels unnatural and WHEN you go off-track, spinning, the car can even get launched. That causes a lot of unneccesary mayhem and when you think about it, those kerbs would immediatly be removed for safety reasons in real-life.

So, to put it short, It's not about being too difficult, it's about a lower immersion-level and unneccesary damage. I also hope you rethink your decision because this track/project is way to awesome to lose popularity among rF2 fans because of those unneccesary and unrealistic additions.

Nevertheless, great work and keep it up!
    You're awesome

17. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I completely agree with this last post. Every track has inaccuracies due to technological and human limitations (3d capture+modeling). However, when these are avoidable and do not help getting a better experience they will be automatically rejected by many enthusiasts.

It is your project preclair. You decide how you do it. However, I positively now that when you put a lot of time into a track you also like other people enjoying and appreciating your work. I guess you will have an internal fight with yourself to decide the way to proceed in future versions. Cheers

enviado mediante tapatalk

18. pleclair

pleclair Registered

I sort of wished to wake up to another discussion, but those darn kerbstone coming back :)

@SPASKIS, you nailed it just right... I feel like a singer that wanna sing what he wants, but ends up singing what the recording label wants him to.

What if we make a compromise and lower them instead? At the moment, they are 10cm high, what if I make them 2-5cm high? That should be the best of both world... cause that texture wasn't made up, it was already there on the road side, I simply extruded it to give it volume. I would guess those aren't exactly flush to ground, are they?

On a different note, I have these interesting videos I made up yesterday while practicing and trying to beat the AI at 100%... Actually beaten the AI fastest lap with the FISI 2012, and the F2... I also ran the FR3.5, but I was about 2-3 seconds slower than 1st, and that put me in 7th position.... but those weren't race laps, but practice laps... so the stress is less on me, I race better. I'm not used to race and handle high amount of stress for a long period, I need to work this out.

Enjoy :) No driving aids used beside auto clutch :)

19. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Indeed, they would be lower ;)

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2014
  20. pleclair

pleclair Registered

I knew these weren't exactly flush to ground.. I might have went a bit high with 10cm, but it looked good to me. Not sure when these will get worked on, but eventually they will.. :)