Best cheapest upgrade from 2 core to play rF2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PMC, Jul 29, 2013.

1. PMC

PMC Registered

Not sure if the title best describes what I'm asking , but simply there's a lot of people out there that will need an upgrade.

At a basic level this means cpu, motherboard and ram ,also graphics card and maybe power supply and disc drive need to be upgraded, oh and maybe XP. This is expensive and as much as we would all like to have the the top of the range gear,and for a lot its out of reach.

If your smart enough to build your own pc you can save money by using your case and hardrives and maybe XP but hey most cant do that.

But for those that have halfa and can utilise what they have what is a good cheapest option.

In my mind the best upgrade for the average user would be an I5 ,not a K, basic board and a GTX6XX and about 700w power.

Even this is expensive , and to add a new case ,hard drive and OS ,well I could retire.

2. DrMabuse1963

DrMabuse1963 Registered

I-5 3570K
    ASUS P8Z77-V LX2
    EVGA GTX670 FTW Signature2 2GB

3. whiplash

whiplash Registered

For my case (Core2Duo E6750@3600, GTX275) it's very clear my bottleneck is the GPU. So for myself, i am looking to upgrade to GTX760 in the next months. I am not sure though if my CPU can keep up with a new-gen GPU, but let's see.

When it come's to power supplys, don't just buy "power", get yourself a decent brand (beQuiet), thats one of the most important parts of a system, especially when overclocking is more than just an option. For single-GPU systems, 500W are more than enough.

4. DrMabuse1963

DrMabuse1963 Registered

@whiplash , when you dont need to upgrade the complet PC , buy a GTX 460ti/560ti , or an Ati 6870 , sell my old GTX 480AMP for 110€ at ebay , this time a lot of people sell her old cards there . MfG

5. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Here are a couple of good options, though they do require that you put the pieces together. These are normally listed as barebones kits, and if you look around you should be able to find places that sell them already assembled for a bit more.

AMD based kit: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8147880&CatId=332

Intel based kit: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8021624&CatId=333

These are not state-of-the-Art systems, but should do well along with a decent GPU for gaming. If you need the best, these are not the way to go. The AMD has a very small SSD drive and 450W PSU and the Intel has a normal drive and a 500W PSU. Both have 4Gb of RAM and are upgradeable.

These are not necessarily my recommendations, but they are options for those looking for ideas.

6. Andreas Binz

Andreas Binz Registered

E6750 + GTX 760 is not a good team.. i think you become ~50-75% of the cardpower with that cpu ;)
    Currently your system is balanced with E6750 + GTX 275

A monitor resolution is nice to know.

7. Dave Millard

Dave Millard Registered

I have been running an E6750 for years, I have a Sapphire 6870 that pushes a triple screen setup like a champ... who needs an upgrade ;) .

8. [NAR]Steve

[NAR]Steve Registered

Dave, stop n go for speeding in the pits :p

9. Dave Millard

Dave Millard Registered

10. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

@PMC...
    Dave seems to have provided the proof.
    I've heard several people say that RF2 only uses two cores currently. I have not verified that.
    If you do not yet have a good fan or are using a stock unit, I'd highly recommend the CoolerMaster Hyper 212+
    That fan should allow possibly a bit more overclock. They run about ($20-25).
    Try for at least 2.9-3.2 GHz, but don't go so high that the thing starts 'throttling'.
    If memory serves me correctly the default was around 2.66 GHz on that processor.
    I'll go further and say get at least a 2GB videocard. I especially liked the GTX560Ti.
    That you can probably find for less than $150 now.
    I was running RF2 (in cockpit) very 'fluid' at 87-92 fps at a resolution of 2304 x 1440 with everything maxed out for quite sometime on one.
    Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2013
  11. PMC

PMC Registered

Thanks for the input guys,

I realise that 2 core will run rF2 reasonably well but my old core duo and 9600gt didn't quite cut it ,only bout 25 fps on grid and didn't go much higher.

So I went with,

I5-3470

700W PSU

ASUS P8B75-M LX (The cheapest,DX11 compatible, no SSD support)

4GB RAM Kingstone

ASUS GTX660

LG MODISC DVD Drive (The cheapest)

TOTAL: A shade under $700

And I can confirm this is a great upgrade . With everything except texture detail (medium) on full I can get a good 80fps plus on the grid at Silverstone with 10 cars .

The only problem I have with pushing everything to max is the texture detail ,any higher than medium and it wont finish loading the track and rF stops working (I think it was a runtime error).I also used the UTES for this and notice a texture error for those also.

I'm still using 32 bit W 7 Ultimate, will upgrading to 64bit and 8GB RAM help me push the texture detail higher or is this the limitations of this system. I have trilinear set in texture filter ,will changing that help.

Thanx again for the help , i'm very happy :D

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2013
  12. DrMabuse1963

DrMabuse1963 Registered

Hope the GPU got 2GB VRam , on Silverstone i got a useage by 1,7GB VRam .

13. PMC

PMC Registered

Yes its 2GB OC Edition and if the green line ingame is gpu? bout a third left

14. DrMabuse1963

DrMabuse1963 Registered

15. PMC

PMC Registered

ok I will have to go over those setting ,I now have a horrible black strip across the start line now, wasn't there before I tried a few more settings so I resorted back and the strip is still there .Thanx for help

16. DrMabuse1963

DrMabuse1963 Registered

Sure the Prob is the Game ? Try an other Game , maybe its the Ram , bevore i fix the Volt Settings in Bios i got a lot Probs with too much ( Auto ) Voltage .

17. PMC

PMC Registered

This is the issue [​IMG] Sorry I don't have another game to test ,I have rF1 but that's hardly a test

18. DrMabuse1963

DrMabuse1963 Registered

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2013
  19. PMC

PMC Registered

It seems to be only Silverstone ,I put HDR on and put the profile in and didn't help, Is there a HAT file or something I can delete and try rebuilding

20. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Delete "rF2DataFolder\UserData\Log\CBash\SILVERSTONE_GPLAYOUT.cbash"
    "rF2DataFolder\UserData\Log\CBash\SILVERSTONE_GPLAYOUT.rrshd"
    and all files inside "rF2DataFolder\UserData\Log\Shaders"

rF2 will rebuild all files next time you start a race.