GT Pre-qual event for the 6 Hour Race Sign-up thread

Discussion in 'Online Racing Discussion' started by Guy Moulton, Apr 18, 2013.

1. dgronvalls

dgronvalls Registered

Dino and I was practicing some now. And when we do the swap the setup changes. Anyone else experiencing this problem? We have both assigned our setup as default.

/David

2. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Hi all,

Me and Mauserrifle can not participate because we just found out that the session would end too late for us :p (23.20 for Mauser and 00.20 for me). Sorry for this.

Our sign up can be canceled.

Would have been fun session for sure :/ Time zone differences have been a problem for me all the time I have played rf2 online.

But I hope others have good time tommorrow!

3. dgronvalls

dgronvalls Registered

I must sign Dino and I out of this event. We did some more testing today with the swapping and couldn't get our setup to transfer during the swap. I can't say if it just changes to factory default setup, or only certain values change.

4. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

Are you changing things on your pit menu?

5. dgronvalls

dgronvalls Registered

Only driver and tire pressures, and the changes are going far beyond what can be changed in that menu, for example Dino wasn't even able to reach sixth gear on the S/F straight.

6. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

This is a pre-qual event. If it should happen that more teams sign up for the 6 hour event than we have slots for on the server, those who participated in this event will have a guaranteed spot in the 6 hour event.

We are going to look at the Corvette tire wear, but in what we've seen so far, the fastest strategy is to pit every 30 miniutes or so for tires and in a 6 hour event this is not optimal. In the 6 hour event there is a team working on tweaking the Pescarolo P1 car to make it more suitable for the race and the GT car is TBD. If the Ferrari F430 GT3 that PetraGTC has almost finished is ready in time, that will be our GT car, otherwise it will be either the Z or Godzilla.

But for this event to test settings, get driver swaps down and test the system/server the Corvette is perfect. Tire wear works very well over a 30 min stint with these cars.

7. hoser70

hoser70 Registered

Sounds like fun:

L. Williams (hoser70) / M. Patton

8. lonestar29

lonestar29 Member

First post mentions a password will be 'available before race'.
    Will that be sent to inbox, or posted here?

9. Hermmie

Hermmie Registered

I was wondering the same :) 2 hours to go.

10. guod

guod Registered

Pre-race drivers meeting.

Items in this thread, but to consolidate info...

Format:
    Practice: 2:00 PM EDT /18:00 GMT (120 mins)
    Qualifying : 4:00 PM EDT / 20:00 GMT (15 mins)
    Warm Up: 4:15 PM EDT/20:15 GMT (5 minutes)
    Race: 4:20PM EDT / 20:20 GMT (1 hour)

Driving Aids allowed:
    Auto shifting
    Auto clutch
    Low Traction Control
    Low Stability Control
    Low Anti-lock brakes (ABS)

1) Change of plans -- no server password. But everyone should have checked to be sure they can connect to the server before official practice.

2) For the start of qualifying, only the starting driver should be on the server. The other driver should join as a spectator. Be sure and use the "+/- spectate". If you're unfamiliar with it: http://tinyurl.com/cxbctuy

3) We have a private Teamspeak 3 channel for each car should driver decide to use it. Pick any sub-channel you want. The sub channel is numbered 001 > 016. Connection information is here for those interested in using the Teamspeak 3 channel: http://simhqmotorsports.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3691108

4) Please do not use text chat during qualifying or the race unless it is critical. Race Control messages will be marked with a ">>>>>>>" at the end of the text chat message. I (race control) will be doing global announcements across the Teamspeak 3 channel.

5) Please make sure everything on your machine is working prior to qualifying. We won't be able to hold up the event for an individual. Very sorry. We want everyone to join and have a great time.

6) For the driver swaps, we will probably have multiple cars in a pit box. We have this resolved for the Mid-Ohio race (we think!) but patience please. If you come into the pit and a car is in your slot, either go around another lap or wait for them to complete.

7) We will be using a safety car with settings so it will not come on-track unless there is a serious accident. This has worked well in practice but if it is a problem in today's race, well will fix it or drop it for Mid-Ohio and the SCES racing series.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2013
  11. Luc Devin

Luc Devin Registered

12. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

unlucky, lucky06. :eek:

Sorry, couldn't resist... I hope you find someone :(

13. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

From guod:

Driving Aids allowed:
    Auto shifting
    Auto clutch
    Low Traction Control
    Low Stability Control
    Low Anti-lock brakes (ABS)

14. guod

guod Registered

Server rebooted.

More drivers than we expected, so that's a good thing. :)

And we seem to have just found a bug in rF2 multiplayer. While the multiplayer.ini was set for 60 players, it was capping out to 30 players regardless. Yes, the dedicated server was maxed out with 8192 up/down.

15. Hermmie

Hermmie Registered

Exciting race. We were able to climb quite a few spots in the end. Good racing, we had contact in the very early stage by someone who spun off and got a bit impatient. All in all, good event! We had fun and are looking forward to the main event.

What i didnt understand was, why was the server not password protected? People were constantly joining and leaving, during all sessions. That was a bit annoying.

Also, since in the event description it was stated that "traction control allowed", i figured the level of TC was free. We practiced with medium TC before the race, so we had to get used to it. No big deal though, but the rules should probably stated more clearly for the main event.

Same for type of start, we expected a rolling start and we had a standing one. Again, no big deal, but please stick to the rules that were set for the event when we get to the big race :)

16. Luc Devin

Luc Devin Registered

No worries
    I am looking in case I find and if possible would come if places are free at this event

Tu es francais et voudrais participer alors viens à moi :)

17. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

That was a great race. Very cool to see so many people.

18. oqvist

oqvist Registered

There was all kind of lag issues prior to the race but the reboot seem to solved most if not all issues? Things went smooth in term of stutters in the actual race. I got two qualification sessions was the qualification restarted or?

My driving was abysmal ticking off every box what I was not about to do except for getting a sub 31 in the qualification. I did pit a lap early because I got the pit menu showing without ordering it. Which I thought was a sign of hitting the 25 minute mark? Didn´t recalculate the fuel so ended up short. But this is what test races are for. I do hope we stick with the Corvette for Mid Ohio :)

19. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

We can't use the Corvette for a 6 hour race. The tires just plain do not last long enough. Car TBD.

Thank you, guod for hosting, that was great! GG everyone, great race. Wow, that was huge, I hope Mid-O has even more teams!

20. deathofmarat

deathofmarat Registered

I don't see why that matters. It's class racing. Everyone you'd be racing is in the same boat.

And if the tire wear isn't realistic enough for you... then why the hell is Mid-Ohio the track? Whoever made that replaced his eye glasses with telescopes. That track is laughably disproportional. Madness would be more aptly named Polite & Carefreeness if the track were really like what we have available to us.

Regardless, if I have a vote, then it goes to the Vette.

Race was fun. Finishing 2nd when Tim and I really didn't put too much effort into the event was good stuff. I didn't really get the chance to encounter too many people unfortunately. Only got to have a little battle with Coutie which was all clean and fun, and then a backmarker who could have had a better understanding of who he was racing with.

Either way, no real complaints anyway. Quali getting restarted a quarter of the way through made me raise my eyebrows... some procedural stuff could be worked out... like having 2nd stint drivers rejoin in their proper spectator attire 10 minutes before the end of practice ect ect ect.

But yeah. Think it all went pretty well and it'll get even better with a few more events under the belt.

Good job to Ronnie and Hector on the win. Looking forward to future races.