Rush

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 1959nikos, Apr 9, 2013.

1. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Especially for those like me who followed 1976 F1 season.

2. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Okay, as you wish, I'll leave :(

[​IMG]

ps. you are old! :(

;)

3. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

true, true.
    Stay, youll learn some facts of life :D

4. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

There are not many good racing movies. Actually, Grand Prix is the only one isn't it? To be honest I have doubts about RUSH... I hope it have some good racing footage, but all the non-racing scenes? Grand Prix had fictional characters, RUSH don't, so I think it's harder to make the non-racing scenes. But I'll watch it anyway.

+ Grand Prix movie had Francoise Hardy so it's unbeatable :D

5. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

I wondered why you left her :(

Ron Howard is a great director (Apollo 13).

I liked Grand Prix, I always thought it had a silly plot though, couldnt stand watching all my heroes speechless against Yves Montand too.

Le Mans is my classic,
    "A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting"
    ;)

6. Brack Jabham

Brack Jabham Registered

There will be plenty of drama off track as Hunt led a pretty wild lifestyle, Lauda had a major comeback from near death and all the politics, disqualifications etc check Wiki for this

When deciding to do this film, Ron Howard stated that there is more drama in real life stories than fiction, and I think he will be proved right

Can't wait for this one

7. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

I have not :D

8. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Looks like an F1 version of Days Of Thunder to me with the twist of a real background story, looking forward too it.

9. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Please, be better than Driven :D

10. tjc

tjc Registered

Awesome and very interesting documentary... I`ve seen it a few times.

Those lads really took life by the scruff of the neck and lived on the edge.

Good stuff. :)

11. Max Angelo

Max Angelo Registered

Le Mans

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Mans_(film)

with Steve McQueen, is my favorite racing movie.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Mans_(film)

And, the unforgettable best racing quote ever. :)

12. ´goggo1peter

´goggo1peter Registered

Great Movie i love Steve McQueen acting and his aura . These are the most famos words in racing
    Racing is live :anything that happens before and after is waiting

13. ´goggo1peter

´goggo1peter Registered

14. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

Le Mans was great and I don't even have a problem with Days of Thunder, but...

I just saw Rush and I was quite disappointed.

When the two gross caricatures came together to discuss who they are with each other and how different they are, right until the last minute of the film, was terrible. The little racing there is very superficial with some great shots and very little coherence. Several cool moments, some of the worst dialogue I've ever heard and just not a superb cast or actor direction.

That starting grid in the rain was chilling, though. Fuji has never looked so terrifying. Does anyone know which track they were racing on in the F3s at the start?

15. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I dont know what movie you saw, the acting, the cinematography, the score, it was all freaking amazing. Daniel Bruhl (Lauda) did such an amazing performance. The score was so powerfull. I watched it twice with 2 different groups of friends half of them don't care about racing, the other half of them never even heard of the movie, and they all were suprised at how good of a movie it was, including the girls.

The Golden Globe awards are the second most prestigious awards behind only the Oscars, and Daniel Bruhl has been nominated for best supporting actor in Rush, and Rush has been nominated for movie of the year. Of course it won't win, the big blockbusters, especially Gravity, are going to clean house, but the fact they were even nominated is fantastic.

The only thing I didn't like was the fact that the cars looked like they were going 30 mp/h all the time, you can tell they were being driven really slowly, oh, and the audio, while being powerfull, detailed and loud, always sounded like the cars were at low to medium revs, and part throttle, rathrt than full throttle max rpm screaming, that really drove me crazy, but the movie itself was awesome, emotional, really emotional.

The score was done by one of the best, if not the best, in the business, Hans Zimmer. The angles and way the film was shot, acting, sets, music, the power of the engines, the contrast of the characters, the way Daniel Bruhl almost won you over even though he's cold and almost heartless, the acting of the Thor guy was really good took he really showed what he could do. The way the wife stayed by Lauda's side, how Lauda choose his woman over the risk of death in the final race, the talk lauda and hunt had near the end of the movie in the plane hangar, everything was just so beautifully done.

The movie was done properly, not in a ridiculous comical way like others, it focuses on the characters with the on-track racing adding to the action, but the movie is done properly as in it's really the off-track stuff and the characters that makes the movie grab you and connect to you with scenes of racing used to show some action, rather than a movie about on-track racing that noone woule care about or connect to other than hardcore racing fans. Even then, I'd rather just watch a real race if I wanted mostly racing action.

As a movie Rush is beautiful, gripping, and emotional. The musical score, cinematography, acting, everything is just done absolutely beautifully, Ron Howard worked magic on this film. If you just wan't hardcore racing action then there are tons of real-life races to watch on youtube :).

Ron Howards' "Rush", in my opinion, is up there with "Grand Prix", "Senna", "Le Mans" and the new Formula 1 documentary movie (like "Senna" ) that just came out (people REALLY need to see this new F1 docu, can't remember what it's called though). As a pure MOVIE, "Rush" beats out "Grand Prix" and "Le Mans" in my opinion, it just feels more gripping and emotonal, but "Grand Prix" and "Le Mans" were beautifully filmed as well (especially "Grand Prix" ).

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2014
  16. Josh.H

Josh.H Registered

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2518788/

17. SpeedLab

SpeedLab Registered

Nice write up Spinelli!

18. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

I think Senna was a better film than Rush, and it's a documentary.

19. Emil Zhelyazkov

Emil Zhelyazkov Registered

I liked the movie a lot. It had an Interesting story. The races was like Fast and Furious for me... But acting and story are Good. Even my wife liked it.
    Sent from my GT-I9300

20. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

Looking around, I guess a lot of people and critics loved it. Eh eh, a bit like Skyfall.