Jeremy Miller tweets (Senior Programmer at ISI)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TIG_green, Feb 21, 2013.

1. speed1

speed1 Banned

Its not my intention to force anybody just try to understand why is that. I don't get rid of the feeling that there is not much love in.

2. Olivier Prenten

Olivier Prenten Registered

Some much discussions here when the game is running perfectly from my side with just some minor bugs... :cool:

3. deak1944

deak1944 Guest

Same here!

4. kotakotakota

kotakotakota Registered

Lol, I suppose we're all waiting on a feature or two. Personally, I want championships, a better clutch, and the spotter to work :) I just wanted to say that the features will come when they come :D

5. speed1

speed1 Banned

That's true.

6. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I am blown away! I have said it time and time again, I would have been content with rF1.5 which had the exact same gfx engine as rF1 but with improvements to the admin side of things, endurance racing improvements, plugin API improvements and stuff like that. But instead we are getting even more. We get better GFX (I don't care what drugs you guys are smoking but the GFX are better), weather, realroad, endurance improvements and plugin API improvements. Now I am just crossing my fingers that we see more improvements to the plugin API (weather controls for example), some APIs for package management and generation along with APIs for managing the server. At that point rF2 is going to kick serious ass and leagues will be able to do some amazing things.

The way I see it, rF2 will continue to be THE sim for leagues and competitive racing and the other sims such as pCARS and AC will pick up the people that hotlap, never engage in any organized racing and put GFX above everything else. If ISI can deliver all the tools for developers I could see leagues being as organized as iRacing and at that point maybe we can bring some of the hardcore drives that left rF1 for iRacing back to rF2.

7. speed1

speed1 Banned

This time everything is pure speculation and time will show all of us the truth.

8. kotakotakota

kotakotakota Registered

except that all of the truth is rarely attained :) my speculation is that every fanbase will claim that their sim is THE sim for competitive racing. :D

9. Timpie Claessens

Timpie Claessens Registered

I think you're overestimating it a bit at the moment by saying it will continue to be THE sim for leagues or competitive racing. There's what, 8 or 9 proper leagues going on at the moment? And I don't see anything competitive at all, every server and race is just a mishmash of talent and lots of crashes. Not to mention I'm way too much in the top 3times and I know i'm FAR From the quickest racer.
    At the moment, the only sim with a truly competitive and league environment is sadly still iRacing and it will depend on how stable ISI gets their platform, performance wise etc, to see wether they will kick iRacing from the throne when it comes to competitive multiplayer environment.

And it's somewhat hilarious how you include AC & pCars in that post since those are games that havent even been released yet... Prejudice much? :p

10. Galaga

Galaga Banned

Ummm... can someone point me to the bloody tweet that started all this? Went back three pages and no tweet?

11. kotakotakota

kotakotakota Registered

Somewhere in there you'll find this, though it didn't start this :p https://twitter.com/jeremymmiller/status/364409198244659201 "Stability improvements mostly."

In other news, https://twitter.com/jeremymmiller/status/365314983527067649 "Build 281, while I had hope, looks like we still have issues that only show when we get a lot of people testing. Hope to get it figured soon"

12. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

rF1 has tons of leagues. Not sure what you are smoking when you say only iR has leagues. The league I race in does 6 - 12 hour races with driver swaps (teams have to have 2 - 4 drivers) once a month using rF1. We have several standby teams which we could call in if another team couldn't make it so the field size stayed at 38 - 40. So 40 teams with 2 - 4 drivers. So we had no problem at all with participation. And we didn't like competitiveness at all. I went from other leagues getting lots of poles and wins to being mid pack if I was lucky. Now onto my point. The admin got burnt out on doing the admin thing and decided to move the league to iRacing while we wait for a proper endurance mod for rF2. Guess what, the iRacing league has like 56 people signed up and guess how many people actually show up to race? 9. iRacing is great for pickups and running in their own series. But I don't see a lot of leagues like you do in rF1.

Trust me, rF2 will be just as strong as rF1 was.

I threw pCARS and AC in there because they are eye candy games. I realize they aren't released, which is why I wonder why so many people have such confidence they will make good modding platforms.

Also, what leagues have you been running in with rF2 that you always finish in the top 3? Or are you refering to open servers? You're never going to find much talent in open servers.

13. Timpie Claessens

Timpie Claessens Registered

I didn't say anything about rF1, I (and you aswell, you said "rF2 will continue to be... ) was talking about rF2. What the first one is still doing is a bit irrelevant for this discussion, not to forget the release of rF1 was imo alot more stable & complete. Not necesarily content wise but it worked and ran very good, which was proven by the amount of patches that eventualy got released. I think all in all there were 4 or 5 patches released over the years? I can't quite remember since it's been a while and we eventually all just intalled 1.255 lite for everything. :p

At the moment I'm still a member of a rF1 league (not that I still use it but they're old friends :) ) who refuse to switch over because it's just not there yet.

14. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

You're doing it wrong mate.....

15. Domi

Domi Registered

Because leagues are irrelevant if the game has its own series, unless the league has something different to offer. Anyway there are very strong leagues in iRacing as well, such as STC, Polar GT, etc, with huge grids, insane talent and even money/sponsor prizes.

16. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

That was my point to the admin. iRacing is a league in itself. A league within a league is going to have to stand out. His logic was to promise that we would do driver swaps once it was offered in iR but that didn't seem to attract anyone. Personally we should have stayed with rF1 until we had a mod in rF2. I don't see why people feel rF2 isn't ready for league use. Aside from the bug related to the new rejoin code that caused problems. Performance isn't great if you think your going to run the same options in rF2 that you did in rF1. I have an old GPU as still stay at 60fps.

What else do you guys think makes rF2 incomplete for a league? I mean, what did rF1 do that rF2 doesn't?

BTW, rF1 did have features added and bugs fixed along the way. It was so many years ago I think people have forgotten.

17. Galaga

Galaga Banned

18. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Indeed, between 2005 and 2007 there were five major updates, and lots of features added:
    http://www.gamespot.com/rfactor/downloads/rfactor-v1040-update-6136583/
    click readme on this page to view notes

http://www.gamespot.com/rfactor/downloads/rfactor-v1070-patch-6142298/
    readme again

http://www.shacknews.com/file/7767/rfactor-retail-1150-patch

http://www.gamespot.com/rfactor/downloads/rfactor-v1150-to-v1250-incremental-patch-6164894/

http://www.gamespot.com/rfactor/downloads/rfactor-v1250-to-v1255d-incremental-patch-6180154/

http://www.gamespot.com/rfactor/downloads/rfactor-v1255f-update-6181701/

Some links have notes, some don't. But I think it important to see what rFactor was when released, and for it's first couple of years. Like you said, people have forgotten.

19. Lazza

Lazza Registered

18 months in...

Weather/RealRoad
    ================
    -Groove build-up and track wetness/drying happen at an artificial, accelerated rate.

Why?

20. MarcG

MarcG Registered

been asking the same thing lazza, my only guess is completion of the tire model will result in further improvements of real road and making it work in real time as opposed to accelerated.
    if it's not that then no idea!