Why are the tracks so bumpy?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by VampireNZ, Jan 31, 2013.

1. VampireNZ

VampireNZ Registered

I have driven on the Palm Beach, Mid Ohio and Malaysia tracks so far, and wtf why are they soooo bumpy?

Turn 1-2 at Malaysia is just crazy bumpy, and the section of turns at Mid Ohio and most of Palm Beach isn't much better. Is this an attempt to make it realistic?

I haven't driven these tracks in real life, so they may well be bumpy, but using iRacing as an example - as it uses laser scanning to get it's track surfaces damn close to reality, none of their tracks are anywhere near as bumpy as rFactor2?

I hope this is just a glitch in the matrix with these tracks that will be fixed, as I like to drive the F2 and seeing the whole front end get airborne at avg speeds is a little out of it.

2. Hectari

Hectari Registered

Sounds like your suspension setup is giving you 'chatter', this gives the sensation of extreme bumps.
    Default clio set gives me this at the first right hander on mills(pit exit). Feels like the front end is bouncing up and down.

I could be wrong but that's the first thing that comes to mind. What car(s) is this happening in?

What controller are you using? Might be ffb related.

Whatever it is you will be able to resolve it with a little investigation and help from the community :cool:

3. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Can't please everyone. :p

Do you have a video of this? I've never gone airborne in this car at any of the tracks you've mentioned.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2013
  4. VampireNZ

VampireNZ Registered

I guess it is not really about pleasing everyone - it is more a point of "What is more realistic...laser scanned smooth tracks...or fictionally modelled tracks that are crazy bumpy"?

I have driven every open wheeler in iRacing so know how this type of car behaves - I just really enjoy driving the F2 car in rFactor2 and just am sad the tracks surfaces are not modelled better.

I have started with some of the setups posted in the setup section (which I am unsure if they are joke setups or what) - as they have the dampers set to max hard, rear ARB's disconnected, toe-out of -10 deg etc, and as I adjust them to more realistic settings such as soften up the dampers then the seconds come flying off. Only so much you can do with setup thou...springs and dampers only go so soft.

While I realise there is a level of driving style involved - bottom line is if your tires are not in contact with road then you aint going around the corner - simple.

I love the FFb and feel of the cars, just can't get a handle on this bumpiness issue. Am using Fanatec GT3RS , 100% FFB, 1.2 multiplier etc but am fine with how it feels, just don't agree with the level of bumpiness of the actual track...which affects actual tire grip, not what I 'think' is happening to the front.

Like I said - just can't help but compare the track surfaces to iRacing's laser scanned tracks which are replicated down to the mm's and are subsequently more believable, and think there is somthing fishy going on here...

5. Magzire

Magzire Registered

Im not liking the bumps also. Way over done, just like the smoke. Need to tone these two things right down ;)

6. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Don't know what to tell ya man other than there are going to be bumps on a racing circuit. ;)

I sure hope ISI doesn't decide to make things glass table smooth because of a few complaints.

7. VampireNZ

VampireNZ Registered

Sorry no video - but do have MoTec data showing front ride height spike at 110mm (avg 30).

8. VampireNZ

VampireNZ Registered

Haha that's just it man - there are not THAT many on a racing circuit - see my previous comments regarding prcise laser scanning of dozens of tracks which are no where near as bumpy as the tracks in rF2!

Then compare that to these tracks with surface data coming from god-knows-where.

Kinda hard to say these tracks are 'realistic'.

9. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

I'll take a look at your data and I'll just agree to disagree with you on the bumpiness of the track surface. Like I said, you can't please everyone. ;)

10. osella

osella Registered

In rf1 most tracks were way too smooth, have to say that I agree that rF2 seems to be the opposite extreme, too bumpy. Not unbearably though.

11. Golanv

Golanv Registered

Alot of player made tracks are conversions and have they originally been laser scanned or from other data, doesnt make them any more real than anything in iRacing. Their tracks are smooth, but so is the feel of the cars, they lack in ffb and you prolly miss more bumbs than rF2 has. Theres tracks in iRacing that are more bumby than the same track in rF2, but I have never heard anyone complaining about too bumby tracks in rF2, or actually I cant remember from any other game for that matter.

There must be some reasonable explanation for your experience.
    My first guess is that your setup of the car is just way too stiff, but then again with defaults with any car I dont feel the same as you do. Second guess was too much ffb, try the filter, lower ffb settings, etc...
    Third, Troll.
    The problem isnt the game that is for sure. Great ffb, great tracks, great physics, very realistic to drive, and saying that iRacing is the real **** is just not right, and is mostly statement of an ignorant individual.

I hope you can solve this problem, cause if this will turn you off from rF2, you gonna miss a hellowa sim.

12. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I suspect the person building the track feels the bump with his own ffb wheel & adjusts the bump so it "feels" right to him

So it's basically good for him but who knows for someone else

There is no set standard or firm guide supplied by ISI

Some tracks to me are fine, bumps feel natural

Others make my motion rig feel as though I'm going over a speed hump this are pretty much unusable

13. VampireNZ

VampireNZ Registered

Right - well clearly most who replied here do not understand what I am trying to say - and I even got called an ignorant fool (after 30+ years of playing driving sims.....) by one delightful individual.

So I am clearly not going to get an educated and mature response to my query that the tracks are BUMPY...not that I have too much FFB etc etc. The my front wheel hits a big BUMP...which affects traction etc etc an awful lot.

I have always loved the rfactor series - and find myself spending a LOT of time in the F2 car now over driving iRacing or raceroom beta etc. The feeling of immersion is much higher driving rFactor 2, and the F2 car in particular for me, than anything else so I definately won't be leaving - was just asking a simple question - which obviously can't be answered without insulting the person who posed it....

14. Golanv

Golanv Registered

I feel like I owe an appology. I didnt mean to make you feel like I was treating/calling you a fool. Are you ignorant, I have no idea, I dont know you, but I didnt mean to be an ass. Some say that I'm one 24/7, my narcissism tells me that I'm just brutally honest, who knows.
    Anyways... Name some tracks with more accurate description of the issue, Im sure that there is peeps coming up with info whats the condition on these particular tracks if its the problem of them being too "unrealistic". If the problem is more twards getting the car to handle the bumbs, that can be accomplished aswell.

15. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

To be honest I'm not into massive downforce cars but I do know that these F2 cars don't have suspensions setup for comfort. I honestly haven't noticed these bumps you are talking about in the Nissan gtr for example.

Also Vampire when you post stuff like "wtf why are they sooooooooo bumpy" you don't sound like someone who is middle aged. Just saying. ;)

16. Minibull

Minibull Member

alot of the bumps that I noticed are the tyre chattering and skipping. like they grip, deform to their limit, break grip, regrip, rinse repeat. Seems like what you see in real racing sometimea...

17. VampireNZ

VampireNZ Registered

haha yea well it has been doing my head in regarding the track surfaces.

Granted I haven't even driven the GTR yet - that is a good idea I might run around in that and compare.

But like I said I have driven the F1, Dallara, Star Mazda, Lotus etc in iRacing a lot and not noticed what I am seeing here. Hopefully it is because of the tire deformation modelling etc as noted above is superior - in that case I am very happy :)

18. Golanv

Golanv Registered

I'm quite sure that what ever the reason, its a reason to be happy about.

19. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

ISI have only made one track that I'm aware of being laser scanned elsewhere, and ours is smoother, not bumpier. That track being Lime Rock, which iRacing scanned before it was resurfaced. Theirs has MORE bumps than ours. I'm not aware of any other track you could be making the comparison you are making with? Serious question, not a get-at.

20. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

Papy sims (N2k3 and iracing) in general have always felt like hovercars to me, stuck to a rail and floating over the road surface rather than rolling over it. I imagine that if iracing is your benchmark, rf will feel too bumpy.