When will yellow windscreen effect be calmed on Megane?

Discussion in 'ISI cars and tracks' started by Marc Collins, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

It is FAR, FAR too extreme, at least with an AMD graphics card. Any way to temporarily disable it or will it be addressed in the next update?

The Megane is a lot of fun to drive (physics), but is rendered undriveable by this special effect.

2. Minibull

Minibull Member

I found it's the dirt that causes the windscreen to be impossible to see through in certain light angles. If it at the right angle, you cant see any track detail. Plus, why is the car coming out of the garage with a dirty windshield, it should build up over time IMO.

3. Aleksi Elomaa

Aleksi Elomaa Registered

Pull to mod to mod mode, edit windshield texture's alpha channel, save it, make a component, ???, have a night race!

That's what I did to 370z and we had this 2 hour race with 10x time scale last week. :)

EDIT: I just read the other thread, more info there I guess.

4. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

The yellow tint causes the same effect for me. It masks all the track detail and is highly annoying. I believe it's a HDR/AMD combination issue of some sort....just want to know when it will be fixed.

5. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

If you read around this forum, 85% of the people that say how great rF2 is are open wheeler fan's. Everything that we see in the ISI content shows that this type of racing in favored over all others. The windows for all the tintops are third rate and were right from the start. This should have been fixed well before now with earlier updates.

If you know anything about alpha channel and such, this is a simple fix that's being over looked up till now because of that preference. Of cause that will be denied.

Tim has answered others that the whole Megane and Nissan's are getting a full over haul to bring them into line with the latest build. It's going to get done but how long it will take being second on the list after any open wheeler stuff that needs fixing is anybodies guess.

I'm not surprised by the way tintops are placed second to open wheel. It was rFactor's birth after all.

Now we could have at least done something to at least make these cars more drivable by replacing all the window DDS files in the Megane folder. But with this .... ID system that's not possible to do because once you alter the Mas. file in anyway and save the changes you effectively break the mods ID rendering it useless for online.
    So much for "Customize - Control - Connect" With this, It's Connect, Forget the rest. You can't make it your own. That option has been taken away.

6. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

You can totally do that, you just have to distribute your changes with all your fellow racers (as opposed to rF1 where you would gain an unfair advantage because you would not be bothered by the obscured view while all others were).

7. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

Well I'd beg to differ. If this was rF1 I'd do it in a heart beat. Replace DDS files and packing them up would take a hour tops. This ID System is totally different ball game and no matter what I share will cause you issues somewhere else. Replacing the windows, All of them in rF1 wouldn't make any difference unless a name was changed. In this case there would be no reason to change any naming paths so no one would get a mismatch.

With rF2, as soon as you change/replace a texture in the Mas. were this would need to be done will need to be saved. As soon as you save a change to a Mas. no matter which one or for what reason the ID # is void rendering it a mismatch on any rF2 server. So no, I totally can't do that.

Like I said, We have no Control, and we can't Customize if you still want to Connect. All that makes up rF1 has been stripped away because... because why? To prevent the very thing that is happening anyway only more so.

All that's good about rF2 is once you've got the track loaded and your sitting behind the wheel. Every thing that came before is a console game that is locked away on a disc with no HD memory like it was with PS1 & 2, The first XBOX. Modders will make their stuff. League will edit it to suit their needs and the newbie, offline racer who decides he or she would like to give online a go will have no choice then to join a league and use their modified mods and tracks.

As a end user, you want be able to do anything but add a alt skin. You've lost all other powers to customize, so you now have no control. It's all been given to the modders and league admin who you will rely on so you can connect.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2013
  8. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

It is not that you "can't do that" but instead you "don't know how to do that".
    As you have said you can't just edit the original files. In rF2 you can create a copy of all the files, change whatever you want to change, then create a new mod from these new files. This way original files stay unchanged. And you can still customize. Yes it is not the same as it was. Yes it is more work.

9. osella

osella Registered

Abriel well that's D.Painter's whole point, there is less freedom in rF2 compared to rF1.

10. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

I don't see "less freedom" in his post I only see "can't". And that is the point I don't agree with. And less freedom is not necessarily a bad thing. As I have said in my first reply some could consider editing files as gaining an unfair advantage (or "cheating" if you will).

11. hoser70

hoser70 Registered

I see less freedom and PAIN IN THE ASS, which is exactly what it is. You shouldn't have to create an entirely new mod that only those that you share the files with can use to fix a goofy foggy windscreen.

12. Sam Moss

Sam Moss Registered

Big +1, locking the the textures and cam files in the mas files so we can't edit them as we please is far from the customize that rF is all about. Especially when its doesn't enhance performance :(.

13. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

I agree with all the people taking a note on how substantially bad and difficult the new mod system is. And this very simple windshield problem is again a very good example. I disagree with Abriel, this is not about "we can't" but about "we still can't accept nonfunctional system that is a big step back from rF1".

14. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

Haven't tried to mod anything yet so don't have any personal experience of it. I totally agree with Abriel that it's good everyone is forced to use same mod as it prevents unfair advantage but at the same time totally agree with others that changing something so simple shouldn't be that hard either. So where is the problem - are we missing proper documentation and/or modding tools? Or is it really that hard to "recompile" copied and modified mod into new one?

15. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

In real terms, No it's not "Hard" as the word suggests.

@Abriel Nei, It's not that I "can't" It's more that I want!

To fix these windows the T1 Alpha setting would most likely need to be adjusted and I don't have access to that. It's apart of the windows GMT in the models Mas. file.

What I can do is rebuild the 3 templates required for each model, (Which by the way is a amateur this to for a start). Get rid of or at least reduce the affect of all that dirt on them, reset the grey scale on the windows and set the depth of alpha affect on the alpha channel.

Doing this would give 2 options of distributing the changes, As a new modID or the better option for a change like this is as a update. As a update it would only replace the 1 Mas were the changes are.
    BUT, Even this would cause mismatch were it wouldn't affect rF1 at all.

Me personally, I have no interest in learning how to use this system. I hate it with a vengeance and refuse to use it. As a consequence rF2 has sat idle sins this system was so unfriendly to work with. The work I do takes up enough time, I have no interest in sending hours trying to get something to work that I can get to in rF1 in seconds.

Tim has said earlier that all the tintops are getting a over haul to bring them up to the latest released version so another reason for not doing anything with it.

16. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

That explains a lot. I understand it is more work than rF1. You have your opinion, I have mine. Let's leave it at that.

17. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Everything? Including black mirrors in historic open wheelers? ;)
    It's not about favoring anything. Each mod has it's own problems. Just as Meganes didn't get updated windshield, historical open wheelers didn't get updated mirrors so far.

18. Tosch

Tosch Registered

There is a simple solution for the most mods but unfortunately not for the megane mod. It seems the megan has a secondary, some kind of special effect, wind shield.
    For the other mods you use the same method as for custom skins. As example i added a alternative skin to the clio #12 car.
    Create a folder "Renault_Clio" inside ...player\settings - folder.
    Create a folder "Clio_12" inside "Renault_Clio" folder.
    Copy your skin inside that folder and name it "CLIO_12ALT.DDS".
    Open "clio.mas" and extract the file "CLIO_WINDSHIELD_IN.DDS" inside the "Clio_12" folder.
    Edit CLIO_WINDSHIELD_IN.DDS in photoshop and save it under the name "CLIO_12ALTWINDSHIELDIN.dds".
    That's it. Pick your alt skin in game and you have a alternative inner wind shield.

[​IMG]

The white square is just for testing.

19. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

This is a nice rant about modding approaches in rF2, but all I wanted to know was when ISI intends to fix the problem. I am not asking nor would I expect modders to fix this. I want modders spending their time ADDING content to rF2, not fixing things that ISI is already responsible to fix.

All I expect is Tim or someone from ISI to give a one sentence reply as to when it's going to get addressed. Yes, some of these long-standing problems (like the black mirrors in the historic open wheelers) get more annoying as each new build fails to fix them.

20. Woodee

Woodee Registered

I would expect that we can't edit these things is because it would make RF2 harder to test if everyone is playing with different files. If we are all playing with the same files then it is easier to track bugs. Why move the goal posts when you can have them stay still?