Driving in wet...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rui Santos, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

Hey guys is it me or it's almost impossible to drive F2 at Malaysia short track with rain (no drying line) even with wet tires? That doesn't seem very realistic, driving in rain is hard but not "that" hard, any improvement to come? I don't even imagine what will be like driving on it with an F1 car. As it is now we'll not be able to simulate Ayrton Senna's Donnington race, lool... :D

1 person likes this.
  2. Butch Nackley

Butch Nackley Registered

Could it be that Ayrton Senna had a talent you are not able to simulate? :p

I must admit, I don't believe I have tried the F2 in the wet, yet. I have drove some other cars in the rain in the game and didn't have too much trouble. I'll try the F2 though and see.

3. Butch Nackley

Butch Nackley Registered

It is certainly a handful.
    The AI appear to have far more grip than I do. They can rocket out of the corners, where I have to use throttle very svery very slowly or I start to spin.
    I was using the default setup with the exception of the wet tires, full soft rear sway bar and Long gearing. I could get around the track, but only very slowly. Slightest mistake and I would spin around. The tires did not seem to catch grip very well either once sliding, even at very slow speeds. Almost like being in the grass. In fact it reminded me very much of being in the grass.

I could get used to the demands on the throttle, but don't know how in the world the AI can get so much grip when I can't.
    Of course, I can't simulate Senna's talent either, so I'm sure that has something to do with it.

I would like to hear others opinion on their experience with this track/car combo, if anyone is willing to test.

Weather was set to Scripted, 95% chance of rain.

Here is a shot of my Practice settings.
    View attachment 5384

4. Hectari

Hectari Registered

Hopefully there are still significant improvements to come with wet weather driving, off the rubbered line needs more grip in the wet too - or the rubbered line needs less as well.

5. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

Thanks a lot guys for your help, i think wet physics need improvement. Like Hectari said "off the rubbered line needs more grip" but i think that it needs more grip even on rubbered line... Of course we cannot be able to simulate Ayrton Senna's talent but if it stays as it is now some people will not be able to make a single lap on wet...

6. Ryno917

Ryno917 Registered

Do you guys think this is a car, track or core physics issue? 'Cause the historic F2s in the wet at Spa is bloody marvelous, so I don't think it's a core physics issue necessarily.

7. Butch Nackley

Butch Nackley Registered

I have drove some other cars in the wet at different places and got along quite well too.

It might be track's wet grip level or something, no idea, I didn't try the car anywhere else. I did try FISI at Malaysia, but couldn't drive it either. I was not using TC in either car.

I'll try to get in some laps with the F2 at other places, as well as other cars at Malaysia.

8. CordellCahill

CordellCahill Registered

:D:D:D

9. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

I don't know what it is but is something for sure ;)

10. Rony1984

Rony1984 Registered

There was a thread where it was stated that ISI still needed more info to develop the 'wet' physics of the F2, its driveability in the wet is a known issue.

1 person likes this.
  11. Butch Nackley

Butch Nackley Registered

Thanks.

Some tracks/cars do really well. One being Mountain Forest and the 370z. And as Ryno317 said, Spa and the historic F2.
    Anyway, knowing that ISI knows there are issues is good enough for now. We just have to limit where and what cars we use for wet races right now. Trial and error will point to the ones that work well enough to use and those that don't.
    I guess we can set Practice for a good chance of rain and when it does, see how it feels. Maybe make a list of those that do well and those we should always set to dry.

12. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Car issue, mainly. Although some track (or surface model) settings need to be setup more.

13. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Instead of pushing and spinning because you are playing a sim, do what you would do in real life, you wouldnt just keep pushing and keep spinning, you would slow down, and therefore not spin.

This is part of what many people complain about is to hard in sims, they dont realise that they are doing things with the car, with the throttle the brakes, etc. that they wouldnt be doing in real life.

I agree with others, the regular line needs less grip in the wet, I have seen some wet videos of the Nissan GTR and other cars, being way too planted in the wet, im not sure about the actual grip and cornering speeds, who knows, that may be spot on, but I am talking about the constant little tiny twitches, movements, grip, no grip, one tyre tiny bit of slip, re-grips, back end getting light for a tiny split second, now regained grip, grip, grip, no grip etc. etc. RF2 needs more of that in the wet, constant grip and balance changes that you get in the wet, even when not pushing flat out.

Too slippery in the wet? Hmmmm, tell that to this guy:

14. TJones

TJones Registered

No doubt, this man can drive. But it also looks like, he found a very good setup for these conditions.

15. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

Ok, Spinelli, i know how it's like to drive in the rain, so why don't you try F2 at Malaysia short track with heavy rain? Maybe we can talk about serious sh** after that ;)

16. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Sorry I didnt mean to come off as thinking I am a pro, I just meant that in sims we are feeling much less of the car and many times cant feel that we are doing something that the car does not like, until it is too late, so we therefore tend to steer just that little bit more, give just a little bit more or harder throttle, tend to brake deeper or harder, and just generally tend to load the tyres more in all situations.

Plus, like all sims, RF2 isnt perfect physics (but I think the best so far). Racing in rain is very, very, very demanding, and we cannot feel enough in sims to be able to do it like in real life. Also, in real life corner entry speeds tend to be lower for most of us, brake application % tends to be lower, and braking point tends to be further back, compared to what we do in sims.

In general, in sims, we tend to think we have more grip left than there actually is, because we cant feel the g's, the movements of the chassis, all the tiny tiny twitches comming through your butt and all 4 corners of the chassis, etc etc.

We only have a steering wheel and visual/audio cues, which are very vague and generalised interpretations of grip if you compare it to all the tiny cues you get a thousand times a second in a real life race car, and in the rain that applies even more as the car is moving around and un-balanced much more often more. The grip/feelings are harder to feel in the wet though, the car is whispering to you instead of talking to you like it does in the dry, but it whispers in the wet more often than it talks in the dry, because grip and balance is constantly changing much more in the wet.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2013
  17. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Aren't those types of cars heavily dependent on setup? Especially in the rain?

18. Timpie Claessens

Timpie Claessens Registered

Didn't it say in the F2 release notes that driving in the rain isnt properly modelled?

1 person likes this.
  19. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

Yes they are, but go and check by yourself if that lack of grip seems real to you (if you ever drove in wet in real life with road tires)... :D

20. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

Thank you Timpie :D