Should all tracks include reverse option for every track and layout?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kknorpp001, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

My understanding is that all AIW is all that is needed to create a reverse option for a track. If so, should it be a best practice to include reverse options for all tracks and layouts? I really love having reverse versions of tracks because reverse versions are so different from the original version and if does not require much to include then isn't it a crime not to?

2. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

Don't know why but I don't like reverse versions. Maybe it feels kind of arcade or something like that... :)

3. tjc

tjc Registered

I`m with KeiKei on this Kknorpp... I really don`t tend to drive reverse versions, it doesn`t seem "right" to be going the wrong way if you like. I have driven reverse layouts but not often at all. I do like to try and keep my sim racing as realistic as possible therefor if a certain track has reverse layout races in reality then I`d find it easier to do it in sim world.

Don`t have a problem with track builders including a reverse layout for others to drive though. :)

4. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I raced and worked at a racing school that used different track layouts of its track, and in reverse of all those layouts as well.

There is nothing arcade, artifical or in-correct about racing a track in reverse. The track is only considered reverse, because somebody (or group of people) decided to call the other direction the "normal direction".

In the end either direction could be the normal direction, and either direction could be the reverse direction, just depends what you want to call it. A peice of road is a peice of road, you can drive on it either direction, and both directions will give very different experiences, sort of like going to a completely different track.

Some of my best moments and greatest corners were on reverse tracks. Toban reverse's final sector (long and short version) are freaking amazing.

When going to a different track, it is simply a different track, a different course, its exactly the same with driving a track in the opposite direction, it is just simply a different track course, nothing wrong, artificial or arcadey about it.

1 person likes this.
  5. tjc

tjc Registered

Personally I never said anything about it being wrong or arcade in any way... I said it didn`t feel right to me is all...

For EG take the F1 race we just had at Interlagos... all the races I`ve seen there have been going in the one direction. Every time I`ve raced there (in sim world) I`ve driven in that direction so it just wouldn`t seem "right" as I`ve said, to me to drive it going the other way. Ofcourse race tracks are just bits of road that can technically be driven any way you like but if they have a given direction (CW - CCW) then personally I`d stick to that.

Each to their own though...

6. Bouillabaise

Bouillabaise Registered

Why not for Mills. Everything is possible with a fictional track.
    For others i'll let you fight. ;)

7. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

Yep, that's what I'm thinking too but couldn't express myself properly in the first post. :)

I agree. Maybe the "arcadish feeling" I get from every track being available also as reversed version comes from some earlier console game where every single track included reversed version - and you had to drive them all. I hated that! :)

So if real track is driven both ways I'd like to do it in sim too. If only one direction in real life then only one direction in sim (for me). Compromise would be every track available as reversed version but there's indication whether it's "artificial" or not.

However Nordschleife reversed - would be interesting! :)

8. JJStrack

JJStrack Registered

often the kerbs are layed out to be driven over in just one direction. Also the runoff zones are mostly planned for only one direction. so i guess on most circuits it would be somewhat unrealistic. but then again, it can be fun :cool: and i aim for having fun while playing RF2

9. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Could be something more than that.

As clockwise tracks have majority of bents right hand and as humans are right-eye dominant, this could be a reason to call a direction normal or not. (of course this doesnt apply to rally stages, only to closed tracks, rally stages are often raced both ways in same event)

You can say that normal direction is the direction track designer chose but most tracks in central Europe are clockwise.
    This was because traffic was right-hand there. In right-hand traffic is easier to attack right bents than left as Im sure you know.
    (I remember a sporty Lancia was produced right-hand drive for the same reason)
    For much the same reason, clockwise tracks were preferred in England, as they already had right-hand drive cars.

Of course all this is my speculation, I havent heard a definite explanation about it.

10. Golanv

Golanv Registered

11. deak1944

deak1944 Guest

12. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

13. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

Indeed.

14. tjc

tjc Registered

I think Golanv and deak1944 are answering Kknorpp`s original question in their respective opinions...

:)

15. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Most circuits are safely designed to be run in one direction. Mills, for example, has exposed ends of walls and armcos, when run in the other direction (like most real tracks do).

16. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

I do not mind reverse versions one single bit. If they give us another layout the more the merrier.
    Perfect examples of tracks that would be perfect for reverse versions would be Spa and Mountain Forest as these tracks are just as dangerous either way (no run offs).

I did try a reverse rFactor1 Nordschleife version long time ago, by RaceKing I think. I remember the mid part of the track had a very long downhill bit. Your car just got faster and faster, left right left right, until smack, you hit a wall at 250mph, ouch :D. Fun but.

17. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Reverse is interesting though I am with the others on this. If the track isn't designed to be run backwards, then I won't run it that way. Think of NASCAR. I can't even imagine going fast and turning right LoL

18. Spadge

Spadge Registered

No.

19. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Rofl

20. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Spa in reverse was probably my favorite track in GPL, closely followed by Spa in the right direction, then Rouen, then all the others. ;)