Great gaming monitors, available now?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nand Gate, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I use x3 27" acer 120hz 3d (always in nvidia 3d mode) live them,

My next move will be either if:

New head mounted (&movement tracking)3d displays coming (apparently in a matter of months for the 1st models) manufactures claim these will be low latency so low lag (we will see if they materialise )

Failing the above (although I believe head mounted tracking 3d displays are the way things will go) I'll maybe opt for LED/laser hybrid projectors , when they hit full HD 3d (they are currently a few at 720hd 3d now)

These 3d monitors I think are my last conventional type of displays I'll own for my pc simulator

2. Armando

Armando Registered

My mistake, I just didn't read properly the "without adaptors" part. :)
    Anyway, if you want 3 equal monitors the difference in cost can be quite big if you buy them with DisplayPort. It's still rare to find it in mid-range monitors. But if you have the money available, of course it's better.

3. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

I also believe so - would be cool! Hopefully real soon and with reasonable prices...

What manufacturer/model are you referring to?

4. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXLU7GDHtsg

I'm thinking these are the future for hardcore simmers or any games really, but instantly these should immerse you from a driving point of view. They are ony 85 degree feild of view which is a massive step up in VR but still short of the 120 degree that would be needed to really convince you. Being open source android based is just another BIG bonus.

5. osella

osella Registered

I don't think anyone on this forum has but I'll try anyway. Does anybody own that Yamakasi Catleap lcd?

It sounds risky to buy LCD from unknown manufacturer, which then goes through hands of some guy who manually checks whether it even can run supposed parameters and there are often a few bad pixels.. but it's still tempting. On this board there's a lot of people who own them. http://www.overclock.net/t/1291882/1440p-and-above-gaming-club-1440p-p-s-we-are-awesome
    2560x1440@120Hz OMG.

There's still about 1% chance I would consider this, well the main problem isn't money for LCD itself, it's the fact it would pretty much limit me to rF1. 45nm phenom with HD7850 definitely could not run rF2 on that insane setting, maybe on lowest details which defeats any sense.

And it is actually NOT THAT cheap. It costs $719.99. You can also buy one for those 400-500$ but those probably can't go over 60-80Hz.

6. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I was watching youtube videos and reading about the Catleap monitors a few months back. I didnt reaearch them too much but from everything I read they are supposed to be very good monitors, so I wouldnt worry. They are discussed heavily on many forums and youtube videos, check it out :)

Honestly though for racing, I would check what the rated input lag is. Make sure they test it properly, some people test input lag the wrong way which gives better but in-accurate results.

Get the least input lag monitor you can find, trust me, it can get pretty bad man. Well not as bad as actual televisions LOL, (30-80 ms input lag hahahaha)

7. Alex Porazinski

Alex Porazinski Registered

John Carmacks twitter feed often contains comments on monitor latency and head mounted displays.

Here is what he said about the vg278 (the 120hz model):

https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/217413704898195456

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2013
  8. osella

osella Registered

I'm not sure if I suffer from input lag or not. Not saying I don't, I honestly don't know. Right now I have very cheap Benq - 27" 1080p which costed only over 200$ brand new- so I guess it has quite high input lag but I'm happy with it.
    Frequency I'm sure I'd appreciate more because difference between 50 and 60 Hz is HUGE, although I'm sure it does not have to be exactly 120Hz like so many people think. Maybe above 90 I wouldn't see it and that'd just mean 30 less fps needed.

The biggest draw though is the resolution for me. I saw it at friends pc for few minutes and it's just so nice, no need for AA and it's still sharper than lower res with 8xMSAA or whatever AA IMO. And not just for gaming, you can open whole book in notepad and read it without the need to scroll (almost LOL). Well it is 77% bigger area than 1080p after all.

Alex Porazinski sounds like that Asus has fantastic params for gaming, but it lacks that res so I wouldn't spend so much just on faster display (and better colors probably too). That's why the Yamakasi is so special, can't find any other LCD with both 1440p&120Hz under $1200, maybe even under $1500 would be hard.

9. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Osella, some of the cheapest monitors have the some of the lowest input lag results around, and most of the expensive beautiful monitors have lots of input lag.

If you can't feel anything than that's good!

If you ever have a chance to test on a CRT monitor, try racing on it for a few minutes and compare. CRTS have 0 input lag.

When I went from my CRT to a BEAUTIFUL IPS monitor, it felt almost as bad as when I go from 120 fps and no vsync, to vsync on, sooo much car handling lag from my inputs to when it finally happens on the screen. I then sold the beautiful expensive monitor and got a TN panel monitor, TN panels are the cheapest, lowest image quality, lowest viewing angle etc of all types of lcds. They are the fastest though.

If you look at input lag benchmarks, you will see that almost all the best ones are TN panels, and TN panels in the 23" and smaller range. Lately I have finally started seeing some 27" monitors, and some IPS monitors with decent input lag test results, it's about time.

People say you have to experience an IPS or PVA panel in real life to understand just how much more beautiful the image is compared to a TN panel. They say once you do, you will never go back to a TN. Well I say BS!! For my racing, any panel type is fine for me, I don't need the most beautiful image, I need minimum input lag so I can control my car on the edge of grip!! Lol :)

10. osella

osella Registered

Interesting, didn't know that cheap ones tend to have good lag. Guess I'm not that unaware and my lcd is actually fast lol.
    I do know LCD can't equate CRT on this, there are all those other obvious problems with them though.

The Yamakasi sounds interesting to me again, maybe I should save money for it in few months hmmh.

Last week I spent many hours to just have a vague idea what 27+ LCDs are on market and there is no easy choice, it's not like buying CPU where you check 2 reliable graphs and then it's just about how much do you want to spend, buying bigger LCD is a rocket science lol.

11. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Ya lots of lag comes from all the things that make a monitor beautiful. More resolution, bigger size, more post processing to make a better image, etc etc those all contribute to input lag.

I will search 27" for you later or tomorrow, for ones with low lag, but I can almost bet you money that the ones with low lag will not be a PVA or IPS panel, and it will also not be 1440p. It'll more than likely be a 1080p TN panel. I'm sure that Asus one isnt more than 9-12 ms, but I am just guessing. I will get back to you in a day or so mate :)

12. osella

osella Registered

Thanks mate don't hurry at all, as I'm quite happy with my lcd now, that buying a better one would be luxury I don't really need at the moment, what I need more is better notebook for lectures, some with SSD and lit keyboard (why so few models have that keyboard!?) So the decision is months if not year away..

13. osella

osella Registered

14. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

1440p IPS with all those pixels crammed in a 27", the dot/pixel pitch or whatever it's called must be sooo tight, i wanttttttttttttttt

15. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

That 2560x1440(16:9) resolution seems a bit high for a 27" monitor. It is not a problem for gaming but for normal use the text can be a bit small. Many 30" monitors (HP,Dell,Samsung) have the "same" resolution (they are mostly 16:10 so 2560x1600).

16. frankwer

frankwer Registered

It`s absolutely no problem, IPS and PLS screens are so sharp that even small text is easy to read, but it`s no problem to let the OS increase the font size.

I play rf2 in 2560x1440 res and it`s great, no need for antialiasing.

17. osella

osella Registered

It wouldn't be a problem, especially not for me because I sit very close to the monitor.

18. geg

geg Registered

Do you think that 3 LG 32LM620S are a good choice for simracing?

19. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

geg, is that a monitor or tv? I'm guessing 32 inch?...

20. osella

osella Registered

Did some more research, it's even more complicated now. Along with the Yamakasi I discovered another 3 brands which offer cheap beautiful IPS monitors, Achieva, Overlord and Auria. Auria can be even bought from normal webshop http://www.microcenter.com/product/384780/EQ276W_27_IPS_LED_Monitor .

It is supposed to have great colors AND very low input lag (input lag, not response time which is irrelevant value). For $399. But only 1 year warranty of course.