Post your RF2 car skins here.

Discussion in 'Third Party Content' started by DJCruicky, Sep 5, 2012.

1. tjc

tjc Registered

2. Fraggon

Fraggon Registered

3. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

4. Lgel

Lgel Registered

You are right, especially if you focus on the mirror post in cockpit view.
    But I feel that if you go for a finer weaving (more realistic in garage view) you end with a solid grey car during replays (I can be wrong).

Thanks for your comment.

5. batito

batito Registered

6. Lgel

Lgel Registered

7. Lgel

Lgel Registered

After many unsuccesful attempts, with your help (darken the alpha layer) I have solved it, now I just have to fine tune the alpha channel.
    Many thanks.

8. Lgel

Lgel Registered

9. Lgel

Lgel Registered

10. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

This is from b770, fresh install only maintaining the Settings folder.

I noticed now I cannot select between most car skins I have after the update. Usually it'll only show one custom skin despite there being 3 or 4 that worked before. Only in one instance I can browse through two different custom skins and is with one of the Indycars. Does anybody experience the same or know how to solve this?

11. Lgel

Lgel Registered

12. Tosch

Tosch Registered

13. Lgel

Lgel Registered

View attachment 13470
    Thanks for your kind comment.

I am a beginner in this field, I made skins for RF1 without never bothering of the alpha channel, my cars looked like the others.

You are right my skin doesn't have an alpha channel.

I use Photoshop CS2, the .psd has an alpha channel visible before I save it as DXT5 ARGB 8 bpp | interpolated alpha.

My skins, even if they don't show an alpha channel, react to the colour of the alpha channel (light grey more reflective than dark grey).

The problem I had of my red Viper looking red in the showroom view but having a pink hood in cockpit view was solved following Hedlund advice (darkening the alpha layer).

Are reflections in showroom controlled by the alpha channel?

My Repsol Darche shows reflections in showroom, and in game (may be to few I could lighten the alpha channel -done now looks better-), picture in Sebring with your HDR profile joined.

I join a picture in the showroom. View attachment 13470

I spent a lot of time to fix my red viper problems (and learned a lot) and I thought that my problems with the alpha channel were solved, but it is not the case I am affraid.

What am I doing wrong?

Please read my post to Hedlund (no change in software Photoshop nor Nvidia plugin).

"Hi Hedlund,
    For your information, with build 770 64 bits I can now have the alpha channel pure white and the hood of the venom stays red...
    I am unable to reproduce the problem of the pink hood even if I want to.
    My skin is OK but I wanted to understand what was happening, I see I am far from it.

Thanks."

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2014
  14. Lgel

Lgel Registered

Hi Hedlund,
    For your information, with build 770 64 bits I can now have the alpha channel pure white and the hood of the venom stays red...
    I am unable to reproduce the problem of the pink hood even if I want to.
    My skin is OK but I wanted to understand what was happening, I see I am far from it.

Thanks.

15. Tosch

Tosch Registered

@Lgel

What is the version of your Nvidia dds plugin (v8.54.0625.1800 here)? You can find the version information in the save dialogue. I just opened your skin with PS C2 and the dds is DXT5 but there is no alpha channel.

The showroom is bad for testing reflection settings. The shaders are completely messed up since the very early days of rF2. I always use Lime Rock Park to test my fresnel and specular reflection settings.
    What you see in showroom is the specular reflection and the intensity is controlled by the spec map not the alpha channel of the skin. The spec map is part of the mod and for that reason (something I don't like) the same for all cars of the mod.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Lgel

Lgel Registered

Meanwhile, since I thought I could have a problem with the version of the plugin, mine was from 2011, I Downloaded the last version available ot the plugin (32 bits), my version number is now V8.55.0109.1800.

I tried with the new version of the plugin and observed no change (my dds still has no alpha channel when I open it later, why I have no idea).

From your images it is now clear for me that I have no reflections.

I use an action that flattens my psd, makes my alpha channel visible (don't know if it is required), and saves as dds.

If I do it manually without using the action the result is the same.

I am lost, but at least I have a clue, I can't generate dds with an alpha channel.

Thank for your help once again.

17. Tosch

Tosch Registered

18. boxer

boxer Registered

19. Lgel

Lgel Registered

Yes Tosch, your help was very useful.

Those are the facts:

1.Why didn't I see that my cars had no reflections?

Because as many users I had low FPS with my previous graphic card and unchecked environmental reflections in my graphic options.
    Later I upgraded my card to a Nvidia GTX 770 and didn't check back this option.

2. Why didn't my dds have an alpha channel?

In the many attempts (trial and error) to solve my pink hood in cockpit view of my red Venom, I tried to delete the default alpha channel of the template and create a new one. It is clear that I don't know how to do that correctly, may be you could explain us how to do that, if it is not too dificult.

3. If, as you sugested, I copy back the alpha channel of the template in my psd, when I save it as dds, I now have a channel alpha in my dds. I checked back environmental reflections in my graphic options and my car looks like the one you made. So problem solved.

4. As a matter of fact I was unable to see any reference to the alpha channel in the painting tutorial of this site.

Thanks again for your help, this problem was driving me nuts, I'll post new links for my corrected skins later.

20. Lgel

Lgel Registered

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2014