FFB... Am I expecting to much?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by flibberflops, Aug 7, 2012.

1. flibberflops

flibberflops Registered

Hi everyone,

Can i just start by saying that I have been signed up to the Beta for just a week and I have to say that I am loving the work so far. Great work!

However, if you pushed me to pick on one subject that I am little dissappointed with is the FFB in the game. OK, I realise we are still in Beta and perhaps there is still a lot of work to be done in this area? But I am also wondering if there is a general issue that prevents any game from creating FFB to my expectations, as I have not yet ever found a game that I thought the FFB was used to its full potential.

Let me explain...

It must have been over a decade ago when I 1st purchased a "Microsoft" FFB wheel. Even back then the driver software had some really cool arm wrenching demos of FFB power slide etc. Since then I have unpgraded 3 times (I am now on a G25). They all have had simular demos of arm hurting power. However, I have never witnessed a game that uses the power and feeling I have felt in these simple demos.

Yes RF2 has some cool rumble effects when you go off road or hit a rumble strip, but the general driving experience seems very weak to me? I should say that I am not an experienced racing driver in real life but I do own a Lotus exige and the best way I could describe my thoughts is that I believe that there is no way a small child could handle the steering wheel on my Lotus when you are giving it the full beans... especially when you go into slides when the full front wieght is pushing hard against the front wheel. I believe that any small child could easiliy deal with any FFB in any game?

OK, maybe in real life I have no experience driving these cars and perhaps they do feel in real life exactaly how it is setup in RF2? However, there are things powerslides etc where I don't feel any power fight with the steering wheel. I also expect the 1960's cars to be a real arm workout to steer?? ...but most of all when I completely mess thing up at 100mph+ and hit a barrier at silly speed, I expect the wheel snatch to be so violent that my arm feels like I have just been watching Michelle Jenneke warming up for the last 15 minutes!

I've had a little play with adjusting my FFB settings, but I tend to find that increasing the power of the FFB just increases the road feel a little and the other effects (which are already fine) a lot... leaving silly things like the engine idle making a un held wheel spin side to side on its own.... which is totally daft!

So after all that, I come to my 4 questions.....

1) Is it just me? Am I the only one that thinks that the FFB is limp wristed and wants more power?

2) Is it an feature yet still to be developed... or is this more or less it?

3) Or could it be my FFB settings? Can anyone recommend which settings to change to if I want my arms to feel like I have wrestled an alligator? (in both Game and the G25 logitech software... currently my seetings are all back to default)

4) Or could it be the G25... is there some other wheel out there that gives a much better FFB experience?

Bottom line... I would love to see a FFB tick box setting in RF2 that comes with its own health warning!

2. Cangrejo

Cangrejo Registered

So after all that, I come to my 4 questions.....

1) Is it just me? Am I the only one that thinks that the FFB is limp wristed and wants more power? At least I'm pretty happy with the current ffb

2) Is it an feature yet still to be developed... or is this more or less it? There are still things to do

3) Or could it be my FFB settings? It is probably your settings

4) Or could it be the G25... is there some other wheel out there that gives a much better FFB experience? I'm very happy with the T500rs wheel

3. thuGG

thuGG Registered

IF you want more power, then buy more powerful wheel. G25 doesn't have such strong motors to rip your hands off.

Yes there are a number of wheels that will give you better FFB:
    - Thrustmaster T500 RS
    - Fanatec Clubsport Wheel
    - Fanatec CSR Elite
    - Frex GP Wheel
    - ECCI 7000
    - Leo Bodnar Wheel

4. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Limp Wristed FF ...it is just you

I race with people have CSW .....tears their arms off. lol :p lol

5. thuGG

thuGG Registered

Why did you create another thread?

6. Max Angelo

Max Angelo Registered

Ok, i have merged the two threads.

7. Iketani

Iketani Registered

The problem I think it's the game. In other games the FFB with G25/G27 wheels it's perfect, but not in rF2.

8. thuGG

thuGG Registered

Such as?

9. FlyinFinn2

FlyinFinn2 Registered

Just upgraded to an g27 from sn dfgt and there are something wrong in rf2. Iracing and pcars works very well. When i go off track my g27 can explode in my hands. Im sure that we have tweaks for g27 in this forum i will investigate tonight.

Tapatalk2, Samsung Galaxy Note.

10. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

There is a config line that reduces the ffb when car off track -take a look

11. flibberflops

flibberflops Registered

Hmmm, Interesting replies so far.

To address the issues raised....

Firstly, apologies for double post. It was unintentional (as I posted, it logged me out. Logged in again and it double posted!)

Interesting that othe wheels seem ok. So, just to confirm... other wheels in RF2 have great, strong FFB?????

As I said previously, it seems strange that the Logitech software is giving demos of good strong FFB demo, but its not happening in the game?? I would appriciate G25/G27 owners if they could recommend settings? ... With the Logitech settings, game settings and ini settings its a tripple challange to figure out where the issue is occuring?

I would love to "invest" in a new wheel but it is a real leap of faith when you look at the price level jumps of the various wheels and not being able to pre-test what exactly that jump in price buys you!

12. Magus

Magus Registered

I have a G25 & after a proper session my arms actually ache. I personally think the FFB in this game is one of the best I have ever experienced. Saying that I have not properly played NetKar Pro or touched iRacing so my sim-racing 'experience' is some what limited. What are your logitech profiler settings? Here are mine just for a comparison & in game FFB multiplier set at default:

With that I can feel all the bumps on the road, the front wheels on the road & over the strips there is a huge oscillation, generally feels great overall.

13. flibberflops

flibberflops Registered

Thats brilliant... Thanks.

I shall give it a go and report back

14. arnomar

arnomar Registered

There are two things which can change FFB feeling:

1) driving aids => you have to be sure to don't use any steering help. That"s may cause the weak force in direction when you turn and the strong force in bumps

2) Setup have a great influence on the FFB (caster, camber, wings, toe, etc ...):

caster => if you increase it you wheel have more force in the direction and less effect of the road ( grip loss included :/ )
    camber => if you decrease it you the grip loss will be more progressive
    wing => if you add wing you will have strong direction force at high speed and less at low speed

Sorry for my bad english

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2012
  15. Jason Kinchington

Jason Kinchington Registered

Hey all just jumping on this thread about FF I have a dfgt wheel I don't feel much at all,like someone said about rumble strips I don't feel them might have to look into my settings as well to see what's going on

16. Favio

Favio Registered

I am very happy with the FFB of RF2, and I have a G25. ISI has done a great job with the physical and the deformation of tyre, you can read every movement of the car through your steering wheel and that's a lot if we consider that we lack the most important, the G-forces. Anyone who has been driving a real race car will notice that the ISI FFB is very very good, amazing in my opinion.
    Respect the power of the wheel, you can set the multiplier to 2.00 FFB car or more and problem solved.
    I think it's the strongest point of RF2, the FFB, which is why most people complain about the graphics and not the physical.
    It's just my opinion. Greetings.

17. Jason Kinchington

Jason Kinchington Registered

Oh don't get me wrong I can feel some forces going on like if u load up simbin race 07 everything feels so flat in that game

18. Schueppe

Schueppe Registered

Probably your settings, since I have no issues with this and can always feel how, and why the car is behaving as it does with dfgt.

19. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

One of the things you have to be careful with is setting FFB forces too high. If they are too high you run into an issue of FFB clipping which basically flattens out the feelings and leaves you not able to tell what you are feeling any more. The suggestion above setting the force to 2.00 will probably result in lots of clipping and is not a great idea.

If you need to play around with that setting, then take it slow and see how it feels at each step. 1 click at a time is best, then run a few laps. When the forces start to feel washed out, you are too high and need to back off a little.

If you really think the wheel feels light and soft, I would highly consider investing in a 48V wheel as those tend to have quite a bit more power to the wheel and might well break your arm if you aren't careful. I think they come with a health hazard warning :D

20. flibberflops

flibberflops Registered

Reporting back...

Tried Magus logitech settings and it really has made a difference. (Thanks)

However, although I am getting a lot more feeling now, its still not as strong as I would like. When I ramp up the in game stength multiplier to 2.0... it gives me more strength (which shows the whell can do it) however, as previously mentioned when you do that you loose some of the feeling. So does that mean that FFB strength AND feeling is impossible to acheive?

@arnomar... all aids are off. I haven't changed any car settings (all default)

@gearjammer... what is this 48v wheel you speak of, sounds expensive?