FOV Calculator

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by taufikp, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

I can't believe they are using such small monitors on that F1 rig. come on guys, you spend that much money on the chassis and you don't spend more than $250 on the monitors? What's up with that???

Seriously though, yes, they do need to move the monitors closer as well as change the FOV so that it is more correct, but I guess they want everyone to see the car they are driving and notice that the paint job is the same as what they are sitting in.

2. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

Like Zeo said, you only need to adjust FOV if you move the seat you're sitting on in real life. If you move the in-game seat it doesn't affect the FOV one iota.

3. Slamfunk3

Slamfunk3 Registered

However there is only one correct "in game" seat position in order for it to all match up correctly. I remember reading a lil while ago (sorry for not being able to give credit to the poster) about modeling in some sort of a way to position one self in the game accordingly. Using the steering wheel overlap method is good but i do wish there was a more accurate way.

4. blakboks

blakboks Registered

Yeah, the steering wheel overlap method only works if both wheels are the same diameter. The seat (or more accurately, camera) position 'should' be where your eyes would be in the actual cockpit. I'm not aware of any way for users to determine this with any accuracy--afaik, only the modders can get the actual coordinates for the camera. This is really such a simple thing to do, and it should be the same for every single person--it is not dependent on your personal setup.

5. osella

osella Registered

Wow now that is one incredibly poor setup... poor setup yet not for poor people huh? :confused:

6. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

As Top Gear has stated. Ones driving ability does not increase with the size of their wallet. Same can be said for Knowledge of sim racing setups, audio equipment and Love making.

7. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

True, but having a fat wallet has the tendency of enabling you to practice more.

8. GTrFreak

GTrFreak Registered

9. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

I guess you just haven't met the right women then jubuttib :)

10. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

The "right women" only get you married and sad LOL ;)

I think jubuttib has the right thinking! :D

11. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

I was primarily speaking in general terms, not specific cases. Much easier to pull in a nice suit and with six, seven figure income than being homeless and destitute for example. =)

buddhatree: Getting married often ends up being the quickest way to make sure you won't get any practice at all. =)

12. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

Wonderful! :rolleyes:

I'm getting married in a few months actually..... :eek:

13. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

My condolences.

So yeah, maybe this particular bit of OT has run its course, moving on! =)

14. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

We will move on... after this short message...

Congratulations buddhatree! it does work (41 yrs and counting).

15. El Reprobatar

El Reprobatar Registered

It's not too late however you can still negociate, as long as you didn't get married yet!
    Just explain clearly what can't be negociated (for me computer/devices that go with it) and it works! i got a very good waf with that.
    Could invest money in track ir + 3 screens etc... etc..

Back to the topic ; i set my fov to 27 on my 6048*1080 setup and it looks great!

16. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

Resolution doesn't really have anything to do with it though. Monitor size and eye distance from the center of the middle monitor please.

17. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

It would be better to get distance to the top and bottom of the screen of the center monitor as well as the vertical height of the center monitor.

18. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

Unless the monitor is significantly higher or lower than eye level distance to center will suffice. And since they're 1920x1080 monitors (with 96 px of bezel corrections apparently), it's easy to calculate the height of the monitor. The less measurements the less room for wrong measurements. =)

19. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

I have done the math and you get around a 1° difference when you measure from the bottom most edge vs the middle of the screen. You are going to move your head forward and backward more then that will matter.

20. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

That is good to know Zeos :) Thanks for that.