Chase USA (some helluva cool stuff)

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by Johannes Rojola, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

There is no worry of that, because this is a hobby and we both are doing what we like to do :) That means great old school hot rodding mod without compromises. And yes, I can assure you that physics will be a blast :)

2. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

WOW, I remember having these in my Matchbox collection, early 70s and I ll get to drive them?

Thank you very much, thrilled :D

3. jtbo

jtbo Registered

I did found info that 1st gen Camaro and 1st gen Firebird are both F-bodies and share lot of same stuff, so as there was few bits more data from Camaro, I did use information from it to make some physics for Firebird. I think that it made car again bit better, still there is more to adjust, research and calculate, but with every bit found it is clearly moving closer to what it should be.

Plan is to made car also respond correctly to upgrades, for example stiffer swaybar to front in Firebird will improve handling a lot as real car in it's stock form and 400cid engine were quite unpredictable at the limit, tail tend to step out rather easily, so stiffer swaybar was good cure for that.

For some other cars that same upgrade might make things just worse, so one will need to test car a bit to find out what works.

I hope to implement as much as possible as upgrades, adjustments what there are will be based on actual parts and adjustments that there has been somewhat readily available.

Hopefully I can find enough data to have everything made to satisfy car enthusiasts, I think that will be bit different angle also that we will bring with this mod, not only different cars and chase movies spirit.

4. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Here is something to entertain our fans that are looking forward of those 50's and 60's machines, get's one to right mood ;) :
    http://www.rockabilly-radio.net/

5. Johannes Rojola

[​IMG]

Bought this Monaco for 350 bucks. My neighbor had extra round of classic Slotmags that he wanted to get rid of. Yeah, I am proud owner.

6. Golly

Golly Registered

Haha that looks awesome. Love the classic muscle cars bud

7. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Monaco in Finland??? powerboat on ice??? (never imagined this was possible)

8. jtbo

jtbo Registered

We do have place called Switzerland here too. Well that it is with direct translation, haven't really checked if official translation differs.

There are quite many things here that are not something that can be thought to be, like swamp football world cup, mosquito squatting world cup and woman carrying world cup, but there are quite a lot more.

9. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

I do a lot of it here in the summer, didnt know there was a world cup though, I should participate, Im gould at this...
    (hit them with magazines, they get some abstract red markings, bliahhh...)

10. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

If you can kill those mosquito's with a rolled up magazine you have small ones :p heheh. We had one land at the airport the other day and they pumped 2000 pounds of fuel into it when they realized what it was.

11. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

My mother had one of those "back in the day", I always thought that model had the "laziest" shifting automatic transmissions that I ever drove.
    It was like it would forget that it was shifting and then suddenly remember what it was doing.

I don't remember ever seeing a mosquito on the grill or windshield.

12. Johannes Rojola

Well that is something you will be able to relive with this mod :D

13. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

It would be nice if, along with the sim, there were some instructions of proper way to use this kind of box, as personaly (I believe others too) have zero experience with it.

14. Johannes Rojola

What do you mean by box?

15. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

I think he mean gearbox.

Cheers!

16. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Yes, the gearbox, I remember being a passenger in old auto-boxes, but never a driver, so some user manual about them would be cool.

17. Johannes Rojola

Of course, gearbox :) Well automatic is pretty easy, in rF you just enable auto shifting (we would like to force this, but it seems to be impossible) and then press accelerator :D Most of the cars in this mod will be automatic by default, but you can have manual transmissions as upgrade. Too bad rF lacks some very essential features or functionality of automatic transmissions, but we do what we can with this...

18. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

View attachment 3667
    Favorite from High School days.
    289 engine, 4 speed. Extremely light body.

Talk about doughnuts in the middle of the highway! A friend owned it, but when he wasn't driving it, I was. First car I ever drove that fit a person like a glove. You could feel everything that thing was doing.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2012
  19. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

Nikos, here's how you work the box on this thing, put it in drive, put the pedal to the metal, grab a sandwich and eat it while you wait for it to shift thru the gears. (It wasn't quite that bad, maybe try chewing your way thru two cookies)

20. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Only problem is that when you get used to driving these cars with auto box, it seems awful lot of work to drive any manual gearbox car, especially something that has no torque at all like Clio is just too much work :D