Smooth track surface help?

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by toebee, Feb 7, 2012.

1. toebee

toebee Registered

Can someone recommend a way to smooth out the track surface on an existing model? I imported an rf1 high banked oval track. Everything works like it should accept the transition from the straights to the banked corners are very rough. I checked to make sure it wasn't the tdf causing a problem. The problem seems to be with the mesh but I can't see any problems with it. It looks smooth in 3ds max. I tried adding a "mesh smooth" modifier and it helped quite a bit but I would like to know if anyone can recommend another way.

Thanks!

2. ethone

ethone Registered

I don't think there's much you can do if meshsmooth didn't help you enough but re-loft the track surface and transition across a longer stretch.

3. freew67

freew67 Registered

Could always create a spline around the bad section, remove the bad, create an object from the spline, and cut lines in the track to match the current poly count (layout, tile, insert some other word here). I have no idea if this would work but dont see why it wouldnt.

4. Enetmo

Enetmo Registered

5. mianiak

mianiak Registered

That's what happens if your mesh is called racesurface## but you don't have the road shader in use. If you added the proper road shader, then it will start working properly.

6. blakboks

blakboks Registered

Try the Relax modifier. It'll smooth out the surface without adding extra geometry. You'll probably have to keep 'Keep Boundary Pts Fixed' checked, otherwise, it will shrink your mesh.

7. toebee

toebee Registered

Thanks guys. I will have to read up on some of these options.

8. Alex Sawczuk

Alex Sawczuk Administrator Staff Member

you need to go back to the original mesh and quadrangulate it if you imported it from rf1 (i.e. make all the polys quads), then a few mesh smoothes should quickly and properly do the job. You'll probably need to edit the walls too tho.

9. toebee

toebee Registered

I would like to give this a try but the documentation seems to jump all over. Is this done with a script for max?

edit: like this? http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/quadrangulate

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2012
  10. toebee

toebee Registered

That seemed to do the trick! Thanks for the replies and the tip Alex.