Minimum/Recommended System Specs for rFactor 2

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Sep 12, 2011.

1. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

You didn't read article I gave a link to, did you?
    It is really simply: fast moving objects are rendered "as sharp images" jumping from frame to frame for some distance. it is not uncommon situation. On every narrow turn you will notice "jumping" objects. Farer objects will jump more than close one (angular velocity is the same but linear one is greater for distance objects). If display is rendered with more fps, those jump will be smaller, simdriver will think that scene runs smoother.

This effect may be hidden by motion blur. You will then get result comparable to 30fps movie in cinema - even if there is low number of frames per second, you have a feeling that movements are smooth (because movements are blurred during movie recoding, not while projecting)

2. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Minimum FPS you want is 60 to 80. Around 110 and above is ideal. I wouldn't even bother with a game if I only got 30fps. Must look like crap at that rate.

If you're getting 30fps in a racing sim your driving and lap times will be suffering big time.

3. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Of course more fps is better. And I agree that 30 fps is too less for rF1 engine.
    But if scene would be blured and physics/controller wouldn't be affected by low fps and mainly by system overload (which often is the reason of low fps) - I believe 30fps would be enough.
    Note, that GPL has maximum framerate 36fps and worked very well, because of system load margin. rF1 kneel down to 30fps only due to cpu/gfx overload resulting overall stuttering. That's why in that case 30fps is not unacceptable.

4. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

No I didn't read it... I have already read that page more times then I can count. Blurring images between frames will make it more fluid but still isn't going replace the missing data that is between frames.

5. ranjeet

ranjeet Registered

thanks for the suggestion

6. THUNDERbreaks

THUNDERbreaks Registered

I agree, not only the graphics looks better but the car is more responsive and direct, if someone planning not to upgrade the pc and play rF2 at 30fps.. I'm sorry for them, they won't have the same experience. rF2 is a long term project, new features will be added, meaning more and more resources, if you got 30fps on a day race with let's say, 16 cars, what's gonna happen on a night race with 30 cars?..

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2011
  7. sg333

sg333 Registered

What card will get 100+ FPS in RF1 @ 1080p ? I need a 'temp' card in a new build for RF1 to hold me over until RF2 is out :D

8. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Well I need more information on your system. Sometimes a VGA won't improve much. What's your processor, mobo and RAM you have? Also what size of a PSU do you have?

9. sg333

sg333 Registered

XFX 650W Pro
    AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4
    M4A785TDM_EVO
    Corsair XMS 4GB

Using the onboard HDMI for now, this will be my RF2 rig, but in the meantime i want a card to run RF1 @ 1080P decent frame rate . No idea what i should get. I will buy a better card in a few months for RF2 but want something for RF1 until then

10. mianiak

mianiak Registered

I get an easy 100+ fps with my old GTX260 in rF1 @1080p with max settings, I have the same cpu as you do. This obviously depends on the track and mod, but generally 100+ is the norm.

11. sg333

sg333 Registered

Thanks, i just ordered a 6850, should certainly do the job! ;)

12. cloudXXI

cloudXXI Registered

I have:

Intel I5 750 2.66 GHZ
    Asus P7P55D LE I5 ATX
    DDR3 2 GB 1333 CL9
    Nvidia GTS250 1024 Mb GDDR3

I think I match the recommended specs, but if you think there is something that would make a big difference, I´ll apreciatte any recomendation.

13. FakeThinkpad

FakeThinkpad Registered

cloudXXI, I would consider adding some memory, that would speed thing up for you, besides, memory really is getting cheap these days.
    rFactor 2 will be able to adress 4gb ram, and then the system needs about 1gb, start of with 4 in total and add more if ever needed - I have 16gb of ram and when running rfactor i utelize a total of 7-8 but 4 of those goes to my system recources.

14. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Yeah, ram it up.. I still run 4gb DDR2 so mine is a bit more pricey.. I wouldn't do any less then 8 nowadays.

15. cloudXXI

cloudXXI Registered

ok

Thank you

16. sg333

sg333 Registered

I just went from 2 GB of DDR3 1333 CL9 to 4GB of DDR3 1600 CL9, and the Windows 7 score jumped from 5.5 to 7.2 on memory performance

17. theother5

theother5 Registered

My reply didn't upload :confused:

I run well over 150 FPS [FRAPS reported] on rfactor today and I think/hope I'm good to rF2 with my setup.

I've recently changed my playing computer .... and rF1 always ran pretty ok on the old one but other games did not. For example, F1 2010 [codies] was barely getting 30 and on the lowest settings it was just about playable.

I've put F1 2010 on the new machine [did play it for a while] and I'm in the 60'ies and the difference is huge.

Thanks MaXyM for the link ... interesting stuff ....

No question 30 to 100 is a big difference. Perhaps, my example was too extreme.
    My motivation was that there come a point of diminishing returns and the uber rig clearly will not be necessary for rF2 ... although it won't hurt!

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2011
  18. Omicron

Omicron Registered

How can you run rFactor above 60 FPS? I got horrible screen tearing when running without vsync.

19. Mee

Mee Registered

Make it a multiple of 60, like 120 :).

You can limit your framerate in your PLR-file by modifying the "Max Framerate"-option, altough this doesn't work that good.

20. THUNDERbreaks

THUNDERbreaks Registered

Wait a second, 4 gb for system resources when you say "the system needs about 1gb" I think it's the 32bit limit not allowing more than 4gb to an application, as somebody told me in this forum, and not the system taking 4gb for resources.