Render 3 Screens independtly

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Derek Speare, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Did your FOV actually change when you edited the file? I gather from one of Zeos' other posts the in-game setting needs to be Default, or it'll override the .cam file setting.

Anyway, if the way rFactor itself does it assumes 45° for the side screens it would be difficult to get it 'right'.

2. Derek Speare

Derek Speare Registered

I have everything set correctly. My screens are at 45 degrees, so that's not an issue. The FOV settings according the ZP's advice work fine. I hate to say it, but iRacing has spoiled me - and no, I'm not plugging it. If anyone hasn't seen the way three screens are rendered there, they should.

Anyhow, thanks for all the guidance. I realized that I was incorrect in my assumptions that rF didn't render three screens separately. It does, and I have learned it here. It could be easier, but that was not the point of my OP. I made an incorrect assumption.

Derek

3. Mr.Ferret

Mr.Ferret Registered

Very relevant to myself as well i just ordered a bunch of new parts and a 24" monitor to go with my 22"'s and i plan on getting all 3 running for racing :)

4. blakboks

blakboks Registered

Oh...just for finality's sake. I'm preeeety sure the guys at ISI know how to set up a multi-screen system :D

WARNING: The following link may induce sudden salivating; please have an absorbent cloth nearby to prevent damage to any equipment ;)
    http://rfactor-pro.com/Solutions.aspx

5. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Now get them to implement those sorts of adjustments in the retail sim. ISI is a sleeping giant. Someone please wake it up.

Our standard solution uses a 5xchannel projection system with a 4-6m radius projection screen, using dynamic optically correct warping and blending. The screen is far enough a away that the driver's brain believes it is looking at infinity and sufficiently large that the driver never sees off the edge of the screen

WANT WANT WANT!!!

6. Derek Speare

Derek Speare Registered

ok - though I am not one to bring up old threads, I am compelled to do so as I am the OP and have achieved more success with this FOV business in rFactor than I had imagined.

I reinstalled rFactor last night and then took the advice given here to heart. My FOV is right around 22-26, and setting each of my car's FOV in that general "vicinity" and having "Multiview" enabled has given me impressive results. So much so, that I am much more enthusiastic about rFactor again and now even looking forward to rf2.

My presumptions about the three screen rendering were misguided. Thank you to the guys here for helping me along. :)

d

7. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Thanks very much for coming back here to update the thread.

8. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Good to hear Derek. I also look forward to ISI's advancement in this area.

Cough Cough.. Six Screen 360° 1080P eyefinity much?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2011
  9. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Contact them and buy rF Pro and they shurely will help you with that ;)

10. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Shouldn't need to. This isn't 2005 anymore. Every single person with a modern video card will have the Six monitor Eyefinity option in their budget. And displays are "cheap enough" to make this a consideration. Triple 1080P projectors could probably pull it off too. Right now you tell me I can build you a rig I go triple XGA 1024x768 projectors but up on end 90° resulting in 2304x1024 (2.5:1) and a nice wrap around screen. Really triple front screen and a cheap $300 rear projector that you can point REAL mirrors at would be the most interesting solution. It would be all about setting camera origins. rF1 has the option for multi-view which renders three separate camera points but they currently aren't adjustable in virtual space. Doing six and 360 would just mean six camera points at 120° fixed.

11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

We don't know what rF2 will, or is planned to, support yet.

Oh, and thanks for coming back and giving the update Derek, much appreciated :)

12. Derek Speare

Derek Speare Registered

This is a very important issue to me, and one I feel compelled to help along the right path. I'm sure at this stage in progress ISI hears our voices and will answer effectively. Something tells me you know how convicted I am on this topic ;)

Now that's serious business there! You'd have to crawl under it to get in, but it's a small price to pay. If Eyefinity will generate the screen resolutions, then the application should just take whatever it has been given. Eyefinityx5 is the most I have seen...would be impressive :)

I was pleasantly surprised at the outcome. I will say for the record that iRacing has me spoiled, but I never knew rFactor had this potential. I am impressed and wanted to make sure the chapter had been completed as best as possible. The advice here is what worked. I appreciate that much!

d

13. Vince Klortho

Vince Klortho Registered

14. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

I figured one screen would need to hinge either up or out or go full Darth Vader setup and have everything lift around you.

As for multi-eyefinity..

15. Derek Speare

Derek Speare Registered

I'm feeling a bit woozy after that video, ZP - I have a customer of mine who's rig is a full blown 8020, motion control and three projectors onto an 8 foot screen...goodness!

Look at this madness!

16. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

We actually have a nice projector setup in the office that I am yet to try. At home I am stuck with a single screen. :(

17. blakboks

blakboks Registered

Interesting... Instead of a 'screen door' effect you get on a projector, you get a mullioned window effect, though. Ultimately, it seems more practical to just use a projection system (seeing as it is flat in this instance). Seems like the only advantage is the possibility of a MUCH higher resolution (though I wonder what it's truly running at). Plus, there was a little bit of lag in some of the screens--the top-left in particular.

Thanks for sharing, though! I'm always interested in seeing some 'extreme' stuff like this.

18. stuball56

stuball56 Registered

Must read the KnownIssues.txt found in the rFactor 2 install directory. It says this: "Multiview is not working anymore / and very limited".
    So, looks like for now you should forget about three screens. I play on only one of my three with this sim/game because of horrid fps with two 6970's. Game looks not good.

19. otirc

otirc Registered

Use SoftTH.

20. Derek Speare

Derek Speare Registered

Hopefully they are reworking the Multiview option to give us more control over the way the game is presented on three screens - I know I beat this gong till everyone wants to scream!

Thanks, ISI for allowing us to set our FOV very low globally! This tells me some of us are not making suggestions in vain.

d