Render 3 Screens independtly

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Derek Speare, Jun 2, 2011.

1. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Yeah, I am waiting for either an ISI implementation of my idea for adjustment or at least for them to open up the code enough to allow a modder to make the triple screen setup I desire.

[​IMG]

2. CordellCahill

CordellCahill Registered

Derek was right from the beginning, the way iRacing configures the screens is next to perfect. Please implement a system like theirs.

3. brabham67

brabham67 Registered

I only run one screen.. right now, but I'll throw my vote in for this as well. Considering that 3 screen solutions are becoming more popular in all of sim racing, thanks to cheaper displays and GFX cards that are capable of it out of the box, it would seem a grave injustice to the community to forgo implementing something similar to iRacing's 3 screen configuration system.

4. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

+1

Shamelessly copy iRacing on this one thing. It's the easiest and most accurate implementation I've ever used.

5. NDRustyfan

NDRustyfan Registered

Derek, I do agree with you that this just don't look right with three screens, I have not found the correct combo yet with rFactor2.

You should not have to edit a cam file to get it right, because if you run alot of mods this will suck.

iRacing does a very good job with 3 screens and so does LFS and netKar Pro

6. Radar

Radar Registered

Will ISI look into doing something like this for Multiscreen setups ? I have 2 x 19"s that I could use and one 24", would save me having to get another one or even 2 screens just for multiiview.

7. CordellCahill

CordellCahill Registered

Have you tried softth? It will do mismatched resolutions

8. m00ndancer

m00ndancer Registered

And it works, I have an unlikely setup.
    AMD 6950 1GB as main card with two mismatched monitors 23" 1920x1080 and 19" 1280x1024
    On the motherboard I have an ATI/AMD 3200 with a 15" 1024*768 monitor.
    Can't believe it works to be honest. Running with most of the stuff off or on low. Haven't configured it all properly, but I'm getting there.

My config.softTH

9. CordellCahill

CordellCahill Registered

What version of softth?

10. Radar

Radar Registered

I have tried SoftTH but to be honest it has it's problems ie not able to AltTab (at least I couldn't) without a crash. Was hoping to avoid using a 3rd party app but doesn't look like it.

11. Derek Speare

Derek Speare Registered

Ok - I fought with Multiview and got it to go with HDR unchecked. Fortunately, ISI allowed us to set our FOV down to 20 globally, and that alleviates the need to change each car's CAM file. I will still maintain that a better system of setting up three screens is needed for the reason that there are simply too many configurations to have "one" master setting. The fact that three screen racing simming is gaining popularity only obviates this need.

ZP's system looks good, and any system which considers the various details of screen sizes, placements and native resolutions is better than what we have. Multiview is the "jumping off" point. I'm certain just a few tweaks will bring it to life.

d

12. Johnny Hendo

Johnny Hendo Registered

I have been tripple screen racing for about 4 years now and have never really had any issues until now. I began with Soft TH but now use Triple Head 2 Go due to getting higher frames with it. I do a lot of different types of mods F1, GT's Rally,Dirt Oval etc and have alway ticked multiview to get that wrap around view. By the way, just in case anyone is reading this and has not read the whole forum, and is unsure what multiview actually does, it renders look left and look right on to your left and right screens. FOV etc is totally up to the individual based on how far they are from their screens,how big their screens are, type of view and screen angle etc. I find that I run about 45 degree of angle on the left and right screens on most mods but do reduce it to about 38 degrees on others. To set my angle, I drive my car on to the straight then stop, then push my monitors in/out until all lines match up, sidelines, billboards, fences mirrors etc. When using 3 screens in multiview the idea is to have the outside edge of your side monitors set so that they are lined up somewhere between your eyes and your ears...applies to most but not all mods. The angles suggested in the posts above are a good guide to start with. This way you see everything that you would see from the drivers seat of a real car periphaly. Go into your vehicles cam file to adjust your seating height if you are having trouble lining things up. If you are going to adjust seating forward or back in the cam file, in game you must check FOV as default. A lot of the problems suggested in some of the previous posts in this thread sound like they could be fixed by changing the height in the cam file.

What is causing my problem these days is modders striving for realism. It seems that more and more modders are turning the mirrors off as an option due to the real life model rarely having mirrors or not having mirrors at all. Dirt oval mods, the Sandiego Boats among others don't run mirrors due to the real life versions of these not realy running mirrors. The effect this has on rfactor is that multiview no longer works on that mod. The result is that when running the dirt oval mods for example you must uncheck multiview in order to get your 3 screens to work, this results in a flat view so you then have to reduce the angle of your screens to about 5 degrees. No matter what cam files you try to use from other mods, you can't get the multiview to work. Checking multiview on these Mods results in 1 screen working only.

This is extremely frustrating as in the future i do wan't run eyefinity with 5 screens but this will require multiview to work otherwise all of the monitors will have to be set almost straight/flat....a waist of money and effort, might as well buy a big widescreen TV.

ISI....could you somehow allow for the mirrors to be turned off in a mod by the modder without the multiview being effected, since they are doing this for realism and true realism should support a wrap around view? Maybe all that is needed is some good advice on how to remove the mirrors without effecting the multiview option. If it is not possible to fix this in rf1 then please make it happen in rf2.

If I am incorrect as to the reasons why the multiview does not work on some Mods, then please let us know what might be the cause for this as it does seem to be consistent with the mods without mirrors or those with altered mirror settings.

Thanks HENDO

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2012
  13. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

I run (3) 23" wide screens on two gtx 470s in Nvidia Surround. here are my screens from both iRacing and rFactor 2

View attachment 756

View attachment 757

I don't see a difference. in POV

14. steve30x

steve30x Registered

In your very own fantasy world everybody has the money for graphics cards that will do six screen eyefinity. I can afford the graphics card , but I cant afford that many monitors and I dont have the space for that many monitors.

I see the difference. The rFactor one has the screen stretched on the two sides and the Iracing one is'nt.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2012
  15. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Just ask this guy if you're having problems.

16. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Mother of god.. The FOV MAN!!! FIX IT Please! I know iRacing has the tools built right in to do so.

Also you can see the difference in how the sides are stretched in rFactor but that is simply because Multi-view hasn't been enabled. Enable multiview AND/OR lower the FOV to proper on both and then compare the difference. See my sig for how to measure yours for rFactor.

17. Marcos Orallo

Marcos Orallo Registered

+1 on copying iRacing or Live For Speed configuration menu. They both let you spedify bezel width for people that don't have Eyefinity bezel compensation.

18. Spyder

Spyder Registered

That FOV in iracing is set way too wide!! Check the forums for the FOV calculator post, you'll almost certainly notice a difference in car control and an improvement in lap times once you've set it correctly :)

19. Johnny Hendo

Johnny Hendo Registered

Sorry CdnRacer but that is not a true motion simulator. On any true motion sim the drivers seat, the wheel and pedals, the monitors etc, are all fixed to the sim. The motion platform sits under the whole simulator which allows the whole simulator to move creating a true simulated feel. When the seat moves seperate to everything else you are not simulating true physics. Kind of like driving your real car down the road with the seat un bolted and just sitting on the floor, acceleration will result in the seat tipping backwards, left turns would result in the seat tipping right etc. There are far better examples of true sims on you tube. The best ive seen so far is the ckas with the 5 servos underneath.

None the less, tis a very good sim in the clip

HENDO

20. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

I changed the iracing setup like your tut... but the rfactor tut is for rF1 I don't see cam files for rF2.