Alternative FFB for use with motion systems

Discussion in 'Plugins' started by OooldGreeeg, Dec 8, 2021.

1. OooldGreeeg

OooldGreeeg Registered

Hello! I absolutely love rFactor 2's stock FFB. The way it communicates all the extra information about the car is really engaging. However, I noticed that if you're playing rFactor 2 in a motion system, the FFB and the motion system actually work against each other a bit because you get constructive interference from g-force effects, causing you to unintentionally turn the wheel extra and get huge oscillations in the car's weight transfer as you try to correct. Thus, I was wondering if there is an official (or unofficial) alternative FFB algorithm/plugin that simulates more of just the steering column or just fewer layers of FFB simulation that would not interfere with a motion system?

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I think there's an incorrect assumption being made here.

The rF2 FFB is calculated from generated forces coming through from the tyres, through the suspension and steering geometry, and into the steering column. The only modification is an internal scaling to sort of mimic power steering in a very basic way.

There aren't any added extras on top, no G-force effects, no bump/rebound effects, no additions to try and give extra 'feel'.

To answer your question, no. Unlike rFactor 1, rF2 doesn't allow plugins to have any input into FFB. I think on balance this is a good thing as it avoids a plethora of FFB flavours/opinions/arguments, and it also largely prevents FFB related 'assists'. As with basically anything software related there's probably a way to get around the lack of direct support, but I've never seen anything mentioned on this forum and certainly there's no alternative official options.

As for your issue, as much as I can understand only by reading a description, perhaps it's the motion being generated that is causing the interference? I'm sure there are a number of people here using various motion solutions, maybe if you can clearly communicate what you think the core issue is you will be able to get some guidance on how to set things up best.

3. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Everything wrong about simracers mind today: "FFB" everywhere, "extra information", "weight transfer", "motion system".

And I also could not understand anything about an issue from reading. It just crossed my mind that you might be running inverted FFB.

Speaking of FFB issues, I have not been playing rF2 lately because to me since last few updates FFB got messed up, steering angles doesn't match to simulation. I am super annoyed by that.

Nieubermesch likes this.
  4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@mantasisg FFS Manta, if it bothers you so much make a fing thread about it and stop posting about it in others. How will you fix it without trying to fix it? And are you even playing the game? o_O

5. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I just had some rF2 fun today, limited by this issue, I'll post in the tread you opened in the weekend, thanks for doing it, it is like a present to me hahaha, I literally have no idea whats wrong so far.