Released GT3 Update and (v1) BOP

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Feb 7, 2023.

1. Nibo

Nibo Registered

I wonder if there is some error in shift protection indeed. I can not downshift in Ferrari even when revs are pretty low on my estimation. Getting into 3rd gear in Stowe is real trouble. It needs me to slow down more and it seems not reasonable. And can not drop to 4th entering Becketts.
    I also use blipping and keeping tiny bit of throttle for balance on braking a lot. Its not possible at all now.
    I also sometimes upshift when not on throttle, also to balance a car in different situations. Not possible now... Its very restrictive driving.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2023
  2. Highlandwalker

Highlandwalker Registered

You have basically come to the same conclusion as me. It's totally throttle position dependant, nothing to do with revs or speed, which just seems completely wrong to me.

Pawel44 likes this.
  3. Nibo

Nibo Registered

I think its both, throttle must be at 0 and revs/speed must be lower than X. Because I can not shift down even without throttle sometimes. Feels like this revs/speed limit is too low.

4. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

Well it looks like a developer should tell us in detail how they implemented it and how it meets the IRL specifications, or if so, if they will investigate to see if they made a mistake. @Paul Jeffrey

5. svictor

svictor Registered

I have tested 488 and come to similar conclusion as @Highlandwalker , which the throttle has to be completely OFF to downshift. While REV seems ok, as I have tested with off throttle at high speed then repeatedly clicking downshifting, the RPM led correctly lit up at red line (blue led) RPM position, it doesn't seem to be a rev/speed problem at least for 488.

6. Highlandwalker

Did some more testing and I think your right about the revs and speed but you still have to off the throttle completely to change down. I did a test travelling at about 35-40 mph in 4th gear with the only the slightest of throttle and I was unable to change down a gear as soon as I lifted off completely I was able to change gear. If the gear shift protection was working correctly I should have been able to change down.

7. Comante

Comante Registered

I've not yet updated RF2, but reading those 5 pages 2 things come to my mind:
    1) maybe "autoblip" mess with DSP if someone tweaked controller.json.?
    2) Do you understand that a "slight of throttle" can send a high powered engine in neutral to very high RPM in a fraction of time? Because this is what is preventing to change gear, not only the gear ratio but the RPM spike in neutral, that could prevent gear change, you would risk to remain in neutral unable to shift for a long time.
    3) Telemetry in onboard video can show pedal travel, but you don't how how it translate to actual throttle application, they can have curves just like you.

8. Bernat

Bernat Registered

No, he hasn't made a valid observation yet. He's only calling BS and posted two videos that just show how he's wrong and doesn't want to admit he's driving these cars the wrong way. Now we have the committee of experts that has never been near one of these cars discussing how realistic this is just because someone made an outcry. And that's how every update thread ends up. In the end, being right isn't as important as being respectful, or shouldn't be. We should be able to discuss things more reasonably.

9. Owen Pyrah

Owen Pyrah Registered

In some ways I think it'd be cooler if cars had bike slipper clutches instead of downshift protection. Then it lets it downshift as many times as you like, while the slipper clutch prevents the back torque from causing the engine to rev too high. Of course, slipper clutches also only work when you are fully off throttle. Luckily on a bike you can't make that mistake as you have to roll the throttle forward to grab the brake lever. In a sim though it's a bit easier to make that mistake as you're sat relaxed at home. Probably even barefoot. Maybe even drinking a cup of tea down the straights.

10. Alex W.

Alex W. Registered

I am still a big fan of the GTE update back in 2022 and compared to that the GT3 update feels a bit unfinished - it feels like a 50% update and released overhasty. To go quick you still have to overdrive the car - it's just more tirewear in the end. Compared to the car behavior difference before and after thr GTE update this update is a bit lame. But maybe I am just to familiar with the tire update now that I don't feel the difference so much. I stoped driving GT3 the day the GTE update was published. However I hope there will be some physics updates with a deeper impact coming in thr future for thr GT3.

11. Luprosx

Luprosx Registered

Find the BOP update quite good, except for the new switch protection. If you have switched to rF1 and rF2 with a slight drag gas when turning in from the very beginning, as you are used to, it is now a complete change.
    I had to change my mind there!
    Whether that's better than before, not for me!
    Personally, I liked the old solution better.
    Why don't they make a button: switch protection off or on!
    And done! So everyone can decide for themselves.

12. Owen Pyrah

Owen Pyrah Registered

Does anyone else think the brakes are more powerful now? Or that the cars are slightly less stable on the brakes? I don't know if it is just me or the new tyres and aero pitch sensitivity.

13. StefWar

StefWar Registered

What about what in my opinion is an issue with sound? Everyone happy with that?

oikworld likes this.
  14. Bernat

Bernat Registered

I've noticed the rear wheels lock more easily, like there's more weight transfer. I have to shift all brake bias forward to avoid oversteering. It should probably be fixed by changing the suspension setup or something else, I'll have to try it. Setups aren't my thing.

15. Owen Pyrah

Owen Pyrah Registered

Yeah where I remember being able to aggressively throw the car in on entry, it seem a lot more agile now. Which is catching me out. Maybe the setup has changed.. Or maybe I just need to change it to calm the car down a bit. Or maybe I just need to change my driving.

16. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey

Lose the attitude or lose access to the forum.

Your toxic behaviour and disrespectful posting isn't welcome here.

Comments, opinions and debate are fine, but the way you come across isn't. Sort it out or find yourself banned.

17. Nibo

Nibo Registered

Ok, apparently I could not downshift in some corners, because my throttle pedal was leaking about 2% in released state sometimes. After setting deadzone for throttle I can shift down to 3rd in Stowe and Becketts. So that was my fault. Still, driving feels too restrictive with zero throttle demand for downshifting and some throttle for upshifting.

Owen Pyrah and BedlamSquare like this.
  18. pri3st

pri3st Registered

Paul be a superstar and push it up the list for us. Not only haptic devices but also physical dashboards with led's which are starting to be a thing. More and more of them on the market, and obviously the huge group of DIY'ers.

19. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey

It's on my "bug the hell out of everyone until they get fed up with me and give in" list, don't worry :D

But to manage expectations, we are exceptionally stretched for capacity at the moment, and initial conversations on this topic suggest (as always) this isn't as simple to do as it would appear, so if it ever does happen it certainly won't be the work of a moment, and out soon

20. Highlandwalker

I already had some dead zone set on pedals but I increased it. It helps to a certain amount but the zero throttle still applies, so annoying. I drove the GTE Aston Martin around Mount Panorama which has gear shift protection, so much better than the GT3s at the moment. It doesn't need zero throttle to change down and throttle to change up. If GT3s were implemented is a similar way would great.