[REL] Zolder Circuit

Discussion in 'Locations' started by wgeuze, Nov 23, 2012.

1. tjc

tjc Registered

Another big + 1 :)

2. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Will do some testing with that in two weeks hopefully.

Did a testrun yesterday, and as far as the road and edge of the road goes, my to-do list only consists of 5 points now. Two of which have to do with the pitlane, both chicanes also feel way better now :)

and from page1:
    Road has been added ;)

edit:
    Road surface is pretty much done, need to smooth out pit entry and pit exit. After that, kerbs :)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2013
  3. Alicatt

Alicatt Registered

Nice to see my local track featuring for rFactor2, I can go and take pics or anything around the track if you wish, I live only a few minutes away from it, I have a 1:10,000 map of the area if that is any help.
    Thanks for your work.

4. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Alicatt, that would be amazing, whenever you feel like it, please take tons and tons of pictures of everything you think even remotely could be of use ;)

Any information about specific bumps in the road could be usable as well, I only have the big and obvious ones right now near the chicanes and some straights.

The map would be a nice asset to have as well ;)

This big step back in the process is really frustrating the heck out of me, especially since Feels released another great looking track just today!

5. Alicatt

Alicatt Registered

I'll get over there with the camera as soon as I can, I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with Zolder I got my Yam R1 stolen there and it was only a month old. I have some pics here but they are a few years old now.

6. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Thanks a bunch!

Ouch...

edit:
    damnit, was going to work on this yesterday evening but my girlfriend lured me into bed early! Need to fix some grass and the pit entry and exit still. I really hope to start working on the kerbs this weekend....

For now, I expect to be 3 to 4 weeks behind on where I was before I redid/re-fitted the road..
    When I finally catch up, things are going much quicker hopefully. What I will first do, after the road and guardrails/walls, is probably get some terrain going so it won't look like you are driving on a floating island in the sky. Until then, frustrated with the slowness of all of this, too little time after work...

edit2:
    issues fixed! Track wise there is only one thing left to do, smooth out the bump, or, ditch rather, in the apex of the first turn in the first chicane, that is a bit too steep I think, will have to double check reference. These things are tricky to see and get right. I also redid the pitlane so it attaches to the road better. Getting closer, slowly!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2013
  7. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Finally, first draft of the basic kerb textures, diffuse only :)
    [​IMG]

Might do a couple of kerbs to see if I'm happy with them so far this week, will see how long that takes, these babies need a bit of dirt though!

8. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

I'm getting excited about an image of a curb! :D

Keep the info coming. I'm really interested to see your progress with this track.

9. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Keep it in your pants please.

edit:
    F1 demo's took all of my time this evening, damn!
    edit2:
    second-guessing the scale of the drain in comparison to the rumble strip, might make 50% bigger :)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2013
  10. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

I can see those wascally marbles clogging that drain up.

11. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Yes, noted, I'm going to get all the normal kerbs and rumble strips in place first, and will adjust the scale of the drains accordingly. Don't think I'll have an update anywhere soon though, want to texture all road surfaces and at least some grass first :)

12. Alicatt

Alicatt Registered

Sorry not been able to get gown to Zolder this week, you had problems with the drains on the circuit, I had problems with the ones in the house - had to dig them up to find the blockage after it had flooded the cellar :(

13. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

Alicatt, how did you get marbles in your house drains? (just kidding of course)

14. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Kids ;)

Yesterday I drove the track with the new kerbs for the first time, I think most of them are right on the money right now. The only issue I have is the first chicane. I have made the high ones there 5 centimeters high, but both the Skippy as 370Z just eat those for breakfast. In real life, I was almost scared going near those (figure of speach). So I'll have to investigate how high they needed to be for the right behavior, because they don't seem that high, but judging from this picture, well...
    http://www.cardinalpr.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/983937.jpg

Didn't get a chance to test the rumblestrips yet though, I'll do a test next week, as they are going to modelled in and I need to learn how high they need to be for them to be felt. I'm aiming for around 2,5 to 3 centimeters initially.

More news when I have it, working on my wheel today though :)

edit:
    Something else, I saw little purple crosses everywhere around the edges of the racesurface, anybody know what they mean?

15. Rony1984

Rony1984 Registered

I think the car in the picture aired off because it bottomed out on the first or second treshold there. I think up to 5 cm would be a realistic height for the actual kerb judging from the picture.

16. feels3

feels3 Member Staff Member

link1

link2

17. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

That is a pretty nifty thing actually, thanks feels, I'll leave those on :)

Yeah that would be worth testing as well, I wonder how close the suspension setup of a skippy is compared to a Formula Ford, I'll start working on the rest of the kerbs first though.

18. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

I would like to have someone with a T500 and/or a CSW to do a small test run with the new rumblestrips. Although I can't finetune everything for each wheel I would like to know how the feedback is at this point so I can make adjustments to the strips if neccesary. Please contact me through a PM if you are interested at having a go. G25/G27 has been covered.

By the way, they are an absolute bitch to create, if I'm lucky I can do one in an evenings time, and it's boring as hell. Only like to do them once and do them well ;)

19. WiX

WiX Registered

If you need any reference pictures, i have hundreds, if not thousands of high res pictures i have snapped for the purpose of track modeling.

20. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

I'll gladly receive them, thanks :)

Hope to continue again tomorrow evening, this evening is custom wheel time :)

And I'm still looking for someone with a T500 ;)