[REL] Zolder Circuit

Discussion in 'Locations' started by wgeuze, Nov 23, 2012.

1. tjc

tjc Registered

Yay!

More Christmas presents. :)

2. jtbo

jtbo Registered

At very least, I might get something relatively close to v360 cup cars cooked up, I should have hdv somewhere that should contain most important bits already, surely only right hand drive version and with not very good graphics, but performance should be relatively close, so might have some value.

Might take well week though because of other commitments, also I doubt that I can make it public release, unless I find someone to do model + loads of textures all over again, which is very unlikely.

3. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

A driveable physics and tiremodell would be all I need, a visual mesh isn't important.

For now I'll stick with the 370Z as that too gives me an estimate of how the track drives. Whenever you have something to test (physics) feel free to send it to me, we can probably help each other out as well :)

Don't give it too much credit ;)

4. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Quick question, if I placed my xsectors and start/finish, normal facing against the driving direction to 'see' the driver, what could cause for them not to work? The hud does tell me in which sector I am perfectly fine, but there never is a time running. Does it maybe think I'm still in the pitlane the entire time? I didn't bother placing those anywhere and those are just floating in space for now.

5. jtbo

jtbo Registered

If you don't pass pitexit, then you are on pitlane whole time. I think I have had that once.

6. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Ah that makes perfect sense, I'm quite curious what the laptimes are with one car in particular ;)

7. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Yep got it working, 1:47.9xx with the Nissan :p
    Think I'm going to shape up the kerbs anyway because you hardly know when you are on or off aside from the rumble :)

This decision does mean a slight delay on the public test, but not too long since I will only be raising the kerbs rather than modelling in the steps, I'll keep those for later ;) All the walls and guardrails should be implemented as well by then so you don't fall into the abyss anymore.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2012
  8. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Included all of the above, and having fun with the Volvo :)
    [​IMG]

I drove a 2:12 with Volvo300 version 0.2, and I am very, very glad I did that. Why? Well, in the Volvo topic, Jtbo posted a link to a sheet of laptimes from a cup race. The 2:12 with this car and track, is very close to the average laptime these guys are doing. This tells me, we are doing something right here :D

Just for fun :)
    [​IMG]

edit:
    on second thought, have fun! Feedback is very appreciated!
    http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?0266n7wppyahvbh
    edit:2 Only use in DevMode!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2012
  9. tjc

tjc Registered

Sweet!

Thanks wgeuze. I`ll give this a blast later. :)

10. tjc

tjc Registered

Just out of curiosity, does this version have a version number?

11. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Not even :)

For future versions, I'll make sure to keep track of a version number and a small changelog.txt

12. tjc

tjc Registered

lol... :D

13. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

readme.txt

14. tjc

tjc Registered

Appreciate the readme and version number but not sure how to install this as all other tracks contain a single rfcmp file but Zolder has loads of files in there and no rfcmp file?

Does this release only work in dev mode or something?

15. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Yes, I believe that is correct, still need to download myself, but it sounds like that. Put all files to Zolder folder in mod dev \ locations and it should be usable there. Also in Wiki there is information how to get more cars to dev mode, or if you like to test Volvo there, you can find link from my thread to dev mode version of the car.

I believe that this early stage of track it is not meant for wide use yet, more of getting feedback if something looks off etc, but I'm only guessing here, that is bit just part of reason why I have offered car to download.

16. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Very true, for now the track is only meant to run in DevMode, for testing purposes. It's current form is really to see whether everything I have done is correct and up to scale, while keeping the ability to easily adjust stuff without destroying hours of work, which I can't afford to do with my limited time.

Ideally the first version to be packaged will be the first alpha, 0.1, but it remains to be seen how much content will be actually in there. If it isn't worth racing, it isn't worth packaging ;)

The next versions will probably stay private again, depending on the feedback really. I'm collaborating with jtbo a bit to get the most out of his car and my track, as this is actually a combination which is driven in real life and in turn is accessible to the general public. I feel that if we tweak the two so that the combination is as close as we can to the data we find, than hopefully both are as close as possible in other combinations as well.

For example, next on my list to be dealth with is kerbstone profile. The volvo is ideal to test this with because there is good footage to find, and technical data is actually available. So in short, if we can get this combo spot on, there should be no issue running the nissans on there, or heck even the F2 :)

I think after the kerbs that a smart thing to do is introducing placeholder objects as for reference points. I'm talking bridges, marshall cabins, all the stuff you rely on in the braking zones. After that possibly a new public release and if the feedback, or lack of, leads me to believe the track is as good as I can get it, I'll probably just start producing all the assets needed to start finishing it up. In short, now is the time to speak up if something seems off. I can already guarantee that if everything is in there already I'm going to be very reluctant to change the track. At one point, I'm locking it in order to move forward.

edit:
    Come to think of it, since I have the volvo in devmode anyway, I'll use the car directly in 3dsmax for scale check of the kerbs and runoff pieces! :)

small request:
    if anybody can create a video for comparison purposes that would be great. Im still running my onboard graphicscard so don't really have the means to... (looks like ****)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2012
  17. tjc

tjc Registered

Ok thanks guys...

I`ll put the track (and car maybe) in dev mode and see how it all comes together. :)

18. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Hope to hear your thoughts on it/them :)

Especially if people will comment on the one corner I'm still not 100% sure of btw.
    Not many people have the track now so it might take some time before feedback is coming in. (24 downloads so far)

19. ethone

ethone Registered

Some feedback:
    - The road could use some more polys in the corners particularly. There are some very visible angles and that's something you'd probably want to avoid. Here's an example (it's usually worse on the outside than on the inside, it's visible here on both edges):
    View attachment 5147

- On some humps or corners the physics go wobbly. I've seen this happen with a) too narrow polys (which I find unlikely seeing the first issue above) and b) too large Racesurface* files. Since you only have ONE racesurface* file, I guess that would be it.

20. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Thanks, the first point is quite obvious. I'm waiting for the kerbs to be subdivided properly so I can add resolution to the road :) This one is intentional.

The other however, I haven't noticed before, but this seems quite a big issue when it affects driving! I did see that the joesville track had multiple instances for this. I'll give this a try for the next version and hopefully that fixes the issue. If not, the only thing I can see that is causing it are non planar polygons in tight corners, which are very hard to get rid off without destroying the corner.