Released Zandvoort 2017 is now available!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Aug 11, 2017.

1. thmxvr

thmxvr Registered

Loads of bs and pre/miss-conception in here. For what it is worth , here is my opinion on a few of the discussed points:

- Aerial scanning is not less accurate than scanning from the back of a truck or from punctual points on the track itself. The scan accuracy depends on the precision of your scanner (lens, accelerometer, gyroscope, computing unit, software, ...) and if you use it correctly or not. The final model reconstruction from a scan is actually a "signal sampling and reconstruction" problem and thus will also depend on the artists talent and time spent. Working freelance I modeled a few tracks for a simulation platform used for R&D by racing teams, of those tracks the one with the best scan by far was actually scanned by helicopter (not drone) using laser-scanning (not LIDAR). For example the point cloud density in XY is 1 point every 7.5mm with a sub mm precision in Z. None of the other scans I have (made using various technology and methodology) come close to this precision.

- In the end all those tech tech are just geographical survey tools that helps doing exactly that (geographical surveys). And most teams of track modeling artists do them or acquire the resulting data from previous surveys. The fact that some game studios uses the names of the tech used while doing the survey is just empty marketing to me and can be a double edge sword: iRacing make a big deal of its track being "scanned" but their version of Lime-Rock and Watkins-Glen are now dated and not relevant to the real track anymore. Which make all their commercial discourse regarding the fidelity of their models to the real tracks fall completely flat.

- The fact a specific track use a different mesh fro physics and for graphics does not say anything about the engine internals. This is just a classic optimization technique. After modeling the track with the most fidelity possible sometime it is too heavy for the render engine and hampers the FPS. Creating a simplified mesh for the graphics only is the most simple and effective way to fix the issue. Because the physics engine convert the ground collision mesh into its own acceleration structure anyway this has no implications other than improving the graphics performance and "bloat" the asset pipeline with 1 more model of the track surface.

- You cannot drive on a point cloud. If you are going to try and do this you will obviously need a very dense point cloud for the tire not to fall in-between points. And if you do have such a point cloud and manage to detect collision properly you will still need to know the "inclination" of the track surface, thus will at least need the "normal" attribute of each point. Those normals can be estimated while staying in point cloud form but to calculate them accurately you will need the create a triangular mesh anyway. Finally if you manage to get all this working you will realize that performances are total crap and abandon any hope of improving them while using point cloud or even triangular mesh and resign into using a dedicated acceleration structure (Octree, BVH, ...) like everybody else.

Ernie, kimbo, adamfarmer and 6 others like this.
  2. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

For me it`s in alphabetical order ingame. Just in case, you`re not using a 3rd party UI?

3. stonec

stonec Registered

With ISI based sims that use the same polygon surface for graphics and physics, you always end up losing a large part of the laser scanned detail. And even if they made a super-dense polygon mesh, it wouldn't run on any current CPU with pMotor 2400 Hz tire model. With AC's simplified tire model it's a different story.

marmagas likes this.
  4. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

Feel free to drop some more knowledge bombs,would love to here more about your experience with track development

5. FS7

FS7 Registered

No 3rd party UI in my rF2 install.

6. bluet

bluet Registered

Zandvoort VR CV1 for me is a stuttering mess. i have 6700k 1080ti and all settings to low ppd 1.5 and asw 45 locked..now idea how to fix:(

LokiD likes this.
  7. LokiD

LokiD Registered

part of the reason why i sent vr back - rf2 is awful in vr - to get it to run, were back to the n64 days! only ac runs well thats still is a eye full of jaggies. gtx 1080 i7 here

bluet likes this.
  8. MarcG

MarcG Registered

No idea how mine suddenly worked but it does, remember this is a beta so optimisation is still to come (I would hope!).

I may of run awful for you because you had VR for all of 5minutes before sending it back! FYI RF2 is far from "awful" in VR, sure it's nowhere near as smooth as say AC but they've had V support for a lot lot longer, RF2 since only the beginning of May so again there's plenty of optimisation still to come.

bluet likes this.
  9. LokiD

LokiD Registered

had it for a good three days thanks dude.. wouldn't of made a difference. Vr users are kinda like the new iracing fanboys ive noticed. kinda sad!

Sure i would try justify the price too, but thats why i sent it back. VR in 6 years time could be amazing though. but then our GPU would have to be too.

10. bluet

bluet Registered

Most tracks are ok in rf2 VR but Zandvoort is.. unplayable ..i agree AC has the best vr:)

11. MarcG

MarcG Registered

:rolleyes:

12. bluet

bluet Registered

WELL I HOPE zandvoort comes good for me .have try 6 times now and still a stuttering mess...@loki d i am vr fanboy just hope rf2 can sort out vr to be as good as AC:)

13. MarcG

MarcG Registered

yeah mine was weird, perhaps a background app causing it at the time but I have no way of telling but it's raceable now albeit lower FPS than other tracks.

bluet likes this.
  14. LokiD

LokiD Registered

sorry my harsh response, to the unneeded post was not warranted. When VR gets better in the visuals area, im sure ill buy it again.

bluet and MarcG like this.
  15. Jego

Jego Registered

I take it for what it is now and will not go back to my single screen. Fun factor and immersion are just so much better in VR.

MarcG, bluet and elcoco like this.
  16. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

:rolleyes:
    It is just one of those miracles which happened in the past also. It's hilarious that miracles are still happening to same people. Why, nobody knows it just happens. I am experiencing the same problems with my VR as 99% of us are doing. I am jealous that I am not one of those lucky guys.:D

bluet and Guimengo like this.
  17. MarcG

MarcG Registered

alllllrighty then :confused:

18. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

not just me then bad performance on this track, was thinking I was pretty much the only one

I wish ISI/s397 wouldn't release stuff so early

19. burgesjl

burgesjl Registered

S397 have a problem here. I decided to do a side-by-side comparison of S397 Zandvoort, vs iRacing, with setting the graphics parameters as close as possible to each other. iRacing, single car on track, got between 120 and 250 fps. S397, I often slipped down to 50 fps and never got it above 80 fps. And I had noticeable stuttering. Both using DX11, single 1080 screen. So that's about a 2.5x discrepancy in performance, and fairly much, likely to not be playable with 20-30 cars on track. I'm not sure whether the issue is the unoptimized track or the unoptimized DX11, but the combination is basically not viable at present. A very large performance leap is needed by S397; and I think it requires a complete rethink of the graphics rendering engine and not just tweaking unfortunately.

20. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

yes iracing nicely optimised now, bear in mind though rfactor2 only recently went dx11
    & Zandvoort is an unfinished track that's been released