Your opinion so far.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Saabjock, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

I know it's very,very early and they'll ultimately get it right... but does it seem like the guys (ISI) are having a much tougher 'go' this time around with RF2?
    I know it's much more complex than RF1, but I can't help but feel that it's really 'tapping' into every resourse they can muster.
    Is it maybe because of the mod packaging system or the complexity of the new tire modelling?
    They seem to be 'fighting' things like the flickering under-car shadows, parts hanging in the air above the cars after crashes, etc... things they've fixed almost immediately in past games.
    What are your opinions?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2012
  2. Max Angelo

Max Angelo Registered

It is work in progress, i cant see differences comparing the development of rF to the rF2 one.
    The difference is in rF2 many users are testers, and they can see how a small team develops its software.

I think it is the first time that ISI is running an open test and you guys are doing a great job reporting bugs which were not in knowledge of the (small) internal test team, but the whole picture is in progress and, like in a picture, the "painters" work on some details before than other ones, for convenience and rational choice.

[EDIT] corrected a double negative, because i am not sure about the english rules for them. :)

3. Fergy

Fergy Registered

I can't understand people who want this game yesterday... Just let it evolve and enjoy what you have at the moment. There's also plenty of other games to keep you amused in the meantime.

4. elbo

elbo Registered

I like it a lot so far (love racing the AI). It appears a bit of a trial to get it functioning on my machine and this has been disappointing to me but I am confident it will get fixed. In the mean time RF1 is still my primary source for racing but I am looking forward to RF2 getting its final spit shine. I forget in what year RF1 was released but I went through a couple of Windows iterations with it. I'm sure RF2 will have the same longevity.

5. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

That is not what I asked.
    I asked what people opinions were as to why ISI seemed to be having more difficulty this time around.
    This is not a complaint about the speed of development.
    I'm actually enjoying RF2. It runs very well on my system at over 80fps with every setting maxed out.

6. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

As Max pointed out, this time arround things are much more transparent for us, we get to see what they are doing and where they 'might' be struggling.

In general ISI's struggle seems to be the balance between what they want, what we demand, trying to make everyone happy and comparisments with rf1.
    Dont forget RF1 had it much more easyer as it was the first installment, there was no public beta, there where no expectations, RF2 is the succesor and therefore has a much more bumpy road ahead by default. Maybe thats what you percieve as ISI having a more difficult time around.

But then again, its inevitable realy, they raised the bar themselfes (as they should have), consequently issues and problems become more complex and less easy to fix.
    One could even argue that if RF2 was an easy(ish) job that ISI was beeing a bunch of lazy b*** :)

7. Wheelzpin

Wheelzpin Registered

I don't see any signs that ISI is in any way "struggling" with rF2. What I see is them taking an iterative approach to building the software. Each release builds on the last, adding to the graphics, physics, etc. while dealing with some of the bugs that have been reported in earlier versions. The only struggle I've seen is with managing the expectations of some of us beta users.

2 people like this.
  8. coops

coops Banned

i would say its that its a lot more complicated than rf1 when you see all the new features coming into the game. but i don't think i have seen anything to say they are struggling they seem to be moving a long quite well for a small team. we are getting updates all the time some a bit long and some very quick. but all good i think when it comes to the complexity of this sim racing game compared to others.

9. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

Its just game development and like allot of technical projects you will see some things move on fast and other things take longer. Its just in the last 6 or so years the end user has started to be more involved in the beta and alpha stage of projects so they get to see the ruff edges and the development process more.

"They seem to be 'fighting' things like the flickering under-car shadows, parts hanging in the air above the cars after crashes, etc... things they've fixed almost immediately in past games."

It just depends on what the developer has prioritised and is working on , allot of minor graphical bugs are likely simple to fix and are not "game breakers" so you can leave them until the end or after more core and fundamental things are worked out.

As for the mod system and interface and all those things I think its simply the case that although ISI is one hell of a simulator developer they are a relatively pore "game" and end user developer.

ISI have a industry leading simulation engine behind them so regardless of how good or bad the architectural surroundings of RF2 are it will likely remain popular as the GOTO simulator for leagues , ISI also have an established mod community providing content that other simulators and games don't get. ( to the same level )

I don't think ISI are struggling any more than any other software developer that's doing significant R&D in the end R&D is unpredictable.

Not that the burden should fall on ISI but I think companies / the game industry as a whole defiantly need to do more to educate the user base as to what a beta is and help people understand development process of games or software , Especially as open development is more common now.

to be fair to ISI they do allot of communication on the forum , I just think you have allot of potential buyers that don't go on the forum , that have this confused image of game development and no clear image of what RF2 will become , so they wont buy it when they otherwise would.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2012
  10. Banger

Banger Registered

only problem I've seen so far is Portugal one of the turns is making AI F1 cars slided around corner,sometimes cause a pile up if too many cars are in vicinity,not seen the AI Crash bug in Pits area yet, like in build 85.where they kind of eliminated the other cars by ramming them into garage areas so they couldn't get out again, i supposed that one way to win the race :D

but everything else seem to run smoothly at the moment,well monaco needs a little tweak on the trees in area garages and on the port sided has cars are sliding into harbour anchor points,:D

11. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

This is the first sim where I've been able to feel changes in my car through the FFB. I can use FFB to set up my car. It's more than just seeing or hearing changes or seeing changes in lap times. The feel of the car on track, the way that the car setup comes to you (or goes away from you) and the need to set up your car for the entire race distance really set this sim apart.

I've been in races where the guy in front was fast and as the track and cars changed, I got quicker as he got slower and I won because of it. This is making for more realistic races and more exciting racing. It's not going to be just do quali laps for an hour and walk away with victory- rF2 is going to require real setup & driving skills.

This is what is going to set rF2 apart.

12. Luc Devin

Luc Devin Registered

+1 Guy Moulton

13. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

The only "struggle" I see is with frames rates. Granted I am a triple screen user and as such my hurdle for the developers is set higher. Every build improves various graphics and physics issues of the sim. But understandably, every added piece of eyecandy or math computations drags the FPS down a little further.

To ISI's credit the graphics, physics and FFB are getting very good IMO. I love the handling of the new 60's update. I don't know what they've tweaked but I can definitely feel a greater connection to the track. I seem to have a greater ability to correct driving errors without the car behaving unpredictibly. The "handling" feels more and more natural. (Not that I have real life experince to draw on, but it seems very good to me.) I've wondered if it is a placebo effect but I really don't think that is it.

BUT, as I've harped on before, to me the FPS issue is always hanging over the sim. It is known that the multiview crushes FPS for triple screen users. It's been talked about in other threads yet ISI never utters a comment. This makes me suspicious of their intention or ability to solve it since the vast majority of users use a single screen.

I have two simple questions for ISI:

1. Do you see it as possible to eventually (at gold or shortly thereafter) have a minimum FPS rate of say 60 in multiview with everything full/max/on for at least the top of the line PCs and vid cards?

2. Do you have an FPS goal for multiview or can you make a rough prediciton of what FPS rate you hope to achieve?