Your name rF2

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Team Dano, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Team Dano

Team Dano Registered

Just switched my rF2 over to Steam and now there is no way to add my name in game. While i'm playing it just shows up as "your name". Anybody know how to fix this?

2. kro388th

kro388th Registered

Not the same issue as you Dano but the issues could be resolved by knowing how to edit/change your player name with the steam install .. (we know the non steam procedure with %appdata%) ...we had some league members that had there 'steam names' but were unable to change to their regular 'league names' so the league data base could not record there results after todays race ..

There has to be a way to edit/change your player name with the steam install ..so far we have had no luck ..

If anyone knows how to change the player name with a steam install please share the info here !

Im hoping its something simple that we just over looked ..

3. Woodee

Woodee Registered

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

That's not steam.

5. Vintook

Vintook Registered

With the Steam build you can still go and edit your player.json file. It's in the steamapps/common/rfactor2 folder, same folder structure as the non-steam version

6. Team Dano

Team Dano Registered

I tried that already, after making the changes the game stopped loading. Also noticed other bugs such as race data not counting laps and keeping race position correctly. The race also does not end after the set amount of laps. Looks like ISI needs to update the Steam version. I regret transferring over so soon, the regular version of rF2 was working better.:mad:

7. Kevin Rötting

Kevin Rötting Registered

I had the same problem with steam version and have solved after a few days. I tell you how:

Go to Local C -> Users -> Search in Users to roaming and open Roaming Appdata file. Then open -> .rFactor and you can see a file with the name: rFactor.name. Open it with notepad and put your name in the file. Save it, done! If you have done that then work the name changes in the player json file fine!

Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2015
  8. kro388th

kro388th Registered

So the %appdata% name fix from non steam install DOES work for the steam install to change names ? .. If im reading this right you then have to also edit the player.Json file to match the new name you made in %appdata%/roaming/.rfactor ? correct ?

I will ask my league drivers to try again as I was told that as soon as he launches MP the game changes it back to the account name but I don't think he was editing the .json after the %appdata% ...

thanks !

9. redapg

redapg Registered

I guess it works like this:
    If your user account has enough rights or you run the Launcher "as Administrator", the info from the "..\Users\[your Windows User-Name]\AppData\Roaming\.rFactor\rFactor.name" file gets automatically written into the player.JSON
    In that case you can edit the player.JSON but it will be always overwritten with the rFactor.name file information.

If you don't have the windows user rights, these info gets not written into the player.JSON. In that case you can edit the player.JSON and it stays as edited.

10. kro388th

kro388th Registered

Thx redapg , that makes sense ..

I think ..lol

this steam name thing has caused a lot of our drivers to miss events already ..

11. DucMan

DucMan Registered

Maybe this will help

Go to

x:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\UserData\player

Open the file player.JSON with Notepad

Look for "Driver":

Under "Driver" look for "Player Name":"Your Name"

Change Your to your first name, and Name to your last name

Save

12. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

It's time that parameter is offered to be set in the game menu.

13. BlkJello

BlkJello Registered

+1