UI and player.json settings to adjust the AI

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pilAUTO, Nov 11, 2020.

1. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
    atomed and J7166 like this.
  2. GertjanD

GertjanD Registered

Seconded! Please share your settings/advice!

3. MarcG

MarcG Registered

The only thing i touch in the player.json regarding the AI is the Mistakes, raise it a touch to make them a bit more human like.

GertjanD likes this.
  4. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

I was inspired and made the average with very few adjustments to the values given by 3 people who seem to know how to adjust the AI, thanks to them :
    @emptybox (youtuber), @t0p5ecret, @Audere est facere.

AI is much better this way.
    I give you all my values.

- AI strenght = 92 (for me).
    - AI aggression 52.
    - AI limiter = 22.
    - PLAYER.JSON :

"DRIVING AIDS":{
    "Spin Recovery":0,
    },
    "Game Options":{
    "AI Aggression":0.52,
    "AI Brake_Grip Usage":0.9725,
    "AI Brake_Grip Usage#":"Fraction of theoretical brake grip that AI attempt to use (can be overrode in HDV)",
    "AI Brake_Power Usage":0.92,
    "AI Brake_Power Usage#":"Fraction of theoretical brake power that AI attempt to use (can be overrode in HDV)",
    "AI Calibrate Sample Size":10,
    "AI Calibrate Sample Size#":"When AI calibration is set to 2, this is the number of trials the AI should run while testing each parameter. bigger # == larger file size of saved data",
    "AI Corner_Grip Usage":0.97,
    "AI Corner_Grip Usage#":"Fraction of theoretical cornering grip that AI attempt to use (can be overrode in HDV)",
    "AI Formation by Position":true,
    "AI Formation by Position#":"If true, AI will line up for yellow or formation laps by fixed position behind the pace car, if false they will line up relative to specific car they should be following",
    "AI Fuel Mult":0.99,
    "AI Fuel Mult#":"Additional fuel multiplier for AIs because of their driving style",
    "AI Limiter":0.22,
    "AI Limiter#":"Range: 0.0 (no limiting) - 1.0 (limiting used to make racing closer but also make more driver differences on flat-out tracks)",
    "AI Logic Override":0,
    "AI Logic Override#":"use bitfields to disable certain AI behaviors. 1= blocking line, 2 = flexible superspeedway driving line",
    "AI Mistakes":0.25,
    "AI Mistakes#":"a range of (intentional) AI mistakes from 0.0 (none) to 1.0 (sometimes). Anything above 1.0 multiplies the frequency",
    "AI Power Calibration":5,
    "AI Power Calibration#":"Adjustments with AI strength (0=none, or add the following: 1=power, 2=gearing, 4=fuel)",
    "Autocalibrate AI Mode":2,
    "Autocalibrate AI Mode#":"When in a test day with 1 AI, AI will attempt to perfect his driving line, and save his knowledge for future use",
    },

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    atomed, DucMan888 and GertjanD like this.
  5. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

OK, so trust me, I just had the best offline racing experience and AI specifically.

Combo Nurburgring Combined + Honda from ETCC mod (@Slow Motion).

I did this by also taking into account the values of AI limiter and AI aggression of the game in its standard configuration (25% aggr, 5% limiter).

Same principle that before I averaged the values of the AI settings of the 3 guys I spoke about (thanks to them), but I incorporated in the average the two standard values of the game of AI limiter and AI aggression.

The player.json values have not changed apart from the values relating to the settings of the AI limiter and AI aggression.

The new values are :

- AI aggression: 52 (VS 60)
    - AI limiter: 22 (VS 30).

For the first time in 7 years, I had the impression of having an AI that was a bit intelligent and a bit human like !!

The post above has been updated.

Edit :
    In these conditions 100% damage takes on their full meaning.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
    Agent Striker, atomed and GertjanD like this.
  6. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

7. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

AI mistakes is not enough at 0.25 after testing a lot.
    1 is too much too.

I tested 0.5 with the ETCC mod, and there are almost no errors, I feel that mods like GT3 S397 are more error prone.

So, last test concerning AI mistakes, 0.66. If that weren't enough, I would set it between 0.5 and 0.75.

The great news is that I did about 15-20 20 minutes races with the settings I gave you, and the improvement over the basic game settings is..... Absolutely significant.

I finish adjusting the AI mistake, between 0.5 and 0.75, probably 0.66, and if all is well (if the GT3 and GTE react well to this setting), and as far as I'm concerned, it's perfect.

I hoped to have AIs like this.
    While waiting for the improvement of S397, which in my opinion will happen gradually and faster than some believe.

atomed and Dady Cairo like this.
  8. Audere est facere

Audere est facere Registered

You need to take in account the talent of the driver. There is a value called COMPOSURE. This value is connected with the AI mistakes. So if the value is high, less mistakes even you set the AI mistakes to a high level.

atomed and pilAUTO like this.
  9. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

Good, so it is indeed very variable depending on the mods, I can confirm.

I changed my mind and my priority is to have clean races and that the AI looks like pro drivers and not "amateur simracers" :

To take into account the difference in setting between the mods and to ensure realistic races and without too many unpleasant surprises, I will set the AI mistake between 0.0 and 0.33. I am moving more towards 0.2 or 0.25.

Especially since for FPS performance reasons I am forced to put visible AI on 6, which is very little, and when there is an accident in front, the risk that I crash against an accidental AI that appear at the last moment is too high.

After dozens of races, I confirm that my AI settings are very good, you can just lower the AI aggression by 5 if you prefer (personal choice, I still use 52) and increase or decrease the AI limit by 5 according to your preference (27 or 37).

atomed likes this.
  10. Audere est facere

just like to mention something.

after a couple of races with my GTE mod (we are the team Sector74 and running our own season with 4 of us and 30 AI cars) I like to recommend to set the brake grip usage of the AI to nax 75 or 80. This is for sure for normal racers not aliens.
    I am not fast at all. For example... with the Aston Martin GTE with default setup (changed to HARD TYRES !!!) and 20 litres of fuel load I can do at Atlanta Road 2017 (from Workshop, superb!!!!) with saturated grip a 1,19.750, so no alien at all. But to keep up with breaking points of AI it was necessary to set brake grip usage to 80 max.

So maybe you like to try this.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
    atomed and George Herringhaw like this.
  11. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

Thank you for the tip.

12. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

I will test soon to increase the realism of my settings, which are already good, but first, could you explain to me what it means to put this setting between 75 and 80 :

Will the AIs make more driving mistakes when braking (≠ no intentional errors as with the AI mistake setting), wheels which lock up and which extend the braking distances, etc.?

I appreciate this advice, the AI is starting to be relatively good with my settings.

But I did not compare with the other simulations.

13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Have you lowered the AI brake torque in your mod? They don't have a brake temp torque curve if I'm not mistaken, so their torque needs to be lower to match the player torque across the application(s).

I think this is a neater solution because official content should work that way, so if mods do the same thing it avoids the player needing to adjust between mods.

atomed and George Herringhaw like this.
  14. Audere est facere

oh yes I would do so but this was about the original content.

I do not know the command line for using an ini file for setting up a lower brake torque for those GTEs.

15. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

Realistic and more human like AI BRAKING :

Simply lower these two values PROPORTIONALLY, with the SAME coefficient.

For example, coefficient 1.05 for the two values which makes 0.98/1.05 = 0.9333 (keep 4 decimal places and round off) and 0.9725/1.05 = 0.9262.

This constitutes a very big improvement of the AI in terms of braking, once you find the coefficient which corresponds to you.

Two values player.json :

"AI Brake_Grip Usage":0.9725,"
    "AI Brake_Power Usage":0.98,"

16. Stockers

Stockers Registered

So are these your new values?

"AI Brake_Grip Usage":0.9262"
    "AI Brake_Power Usage":0.9333,"

Also are the coefficient values the same or if not where can I find them?

Thanks

17. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

No, these are not my values, I don't have them in front of me. Mine are lower.

I find it good to start with a coefficient of 1.05 (identical to calculate each of the two values).

I find it good to test the values with the S397 GTE and the Nurburgring combined because the first corner is perfect to see the braking of the AIs but wait for warm tire and warm brake.

atomed likes this.
  18. J0E

J0E Registered

Since these two values can be overridden by what's in the HDV file, how do you know changing the settings actually work, especially for an S397 car where the mas is encrypted?

19. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

I don't know, my technical knowledge is limited.

20. Audere est facere

Because it is easy to see that AI is braking earlier. And the AIs lap times are increasing.

atomed likes this.