you know what I'm really waiting for?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MarcG, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Alesi

Alesi Registered

would be great to have the tech to apply mud overlays on the track and car

2. martymoose

martymoose Registered

Random still needs to have some realism to it, the temps cant go up and down 20c 10 times per session. Many places as the rain comes it gets cooler too but then in the tropics the temps never change much even in a thunder storms where in Melbourne Australia a summer storm will normally bring a large temp drop with it. To get to 45c plus though the day starts hot and just gets hotter and Ive never seen it start out cold and wet then quickly change to very hot but the other way round is fairly common here at least. So this is something that could be coded into the tracks for local weather extremes and average conditions to make a variable weather model fairly realistic and true to the real tracks.

3. martymoose

martymoose Registered

Lol I wish someone would show those American's a set of rain tyres one of these days ;)

They've been in use everywhere else as long as motorsport has been around, but these guys have enough issues making 2 to 4 left turns a lap to have to deal with such tasks as changeable weather too.

At least some have evolved into turning one direction and racing for longer then 5 seconds so there is still some hope for the future. ;)

4. Whykonen

Whykonen Registered

Love that indy movie: "I of course have driven in the rain because in Europe we dooo!" Stewart rocks whaha.

5. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

The problem you are talking about apparently is NASCAR racing. Unfortunately, NASCAR only has maybe 1 or 2 events that actually end up being delayed for long periods or cancelled all together due to rain, so the drivers would never get much experience with rain tires. On top of that, the cars have so little downforce and so much power that it would be very difficult to drive them in the rain and still make a lap. NASCAR has done some testing on rain tires, but the results so far have given NASCAR reason to decide that for now there will be no rain tires.

2 people like this.
  6. rhamm

rhamm Registered

What was called USAC at the time of that Indy 500 race did races in the rain. The IRL which is the current US open wheel series does races in the rain.

7. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I also want to see this. It is nice for simulating a specific event (like if you wanted to run with a car and track mod of a race that started wet, ended try, because you can set it predictably to do so as it is now), but I too want it to be random selectable. I basically want rain settings for: Off / Low Random Chance (think about it, some tracks it seldom rains at) / High Random chance (think Malaysia) / Random (as in totally, so it could rain in Bahrain) / Set (where you set exactly how it'll work, as you do now.

8. 88mphTim

I think this will likely come via plugin.

9. MarcG

MarcG Registered

may as well have it set to rain 100% in England then HAH! Seriously good thinking about the low/high random chance, like that.

10. hushypushy

hushypushy Registered

Isn't this sort of how it works already?

I set it to 10% Rain and went to Spa. In meteorological terms, "10% rain" means that it will definitely rain in 10% of the area they are talking about.

However, I did about 10 restarts, and slightly less than half the time (I apologize for the severely un-scientific numbers, I did this last week) it was raining. The rest of the time it was sunny and clear.

I didn't keep extrapolating this to other percentages in the middle, but I do know when I set 100% rain, it always rains. So it seems like the percentage already, to some extent, controls the probability?

(this was a little disappointing to me, because I initially thought a low percentage of rain would mean that it was only raining in a specific part of the track, albeit constantly)

11. RMayfield

RMayfield Registered

i know its a little off topic but i dont have much time to browse these forums...whats the news on rain drops hitting the windshield/helmet? nothing better than running a dry track and having rain drops be your first "oh crap" indicator :)

12. 88mphTim

Pretty much, but right now if you want a low chance at the start of the race, and a higher chance later, you know pretty much exactly when that cutoff and change happens. :)

13. 88mphTim

They just don't want to do the same work twice. There's some things to be done before they are, and while they could do them now, they want to wait for those things, do they don't have to repeat work later.

14. RMayfield

RMayfield Registered

thanks for the reply Tim :)

15. hushypushy

hushypushy Registered

Yeah, I encounter that scenario all the time because I like starting with a wet track at Spa. Random weather is a little thing that will make a big difference :cool:

16. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

I am not sure about 10% meaning that it is raining in 10% of a given area. My understanding on probability is that when stated as 10% chance, then there is a chance that it could be raining on any given area of about 10% or 1 in 10 chance, not that it is definitely raining in 10% of the area. Basically when I hear 10% I know that unless you are unlucky, it won't rain.

17. hushypushy

hushypushy Registered

That's okay Gearjammer, weather-forecasting is a black art filled with jargon that I swear is confusing on purpose.

http://weather.about.com/od/c/g/chance_of_rain.htm

To mildly restate that phrase: If the chance of rain in an area is 60%, that means that in 6 out of 10 places, something will happen. Which is exactly what I said earlier :)

18. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Hehe, it is funny that there are sites out there that can't even define it the same way, :) I read a site after posting my other remark that said exactly what I was saying, so I guess they don't even really know what it means :)

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/lmk/?n=generalforecastterminology

19. kleanphil

kleanphil Registered

Weather predictions for Bathurst Saturday race are afternoon thunder storms with up to 5 mm of rain and an outside chance of Kangaroo's,can we have them added as random too ;)

20. coops

coops Banned

+1 for the great race: nothing better than when its left to the gods. bring on random weather.