WSGT Megane Trophy for rFactor 2 – 1.2 Released - FPS

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thepharcyde, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Thepharcyde

Thepharcyde Registered

Has anyone tried the above Mod? My FPS take a massive drop from a solid 60 with the ISI Meganes vs this mod that renders c.30-40 on the start of a race tapering to c.50-60 once the field spreads out. I also notice the same with the AMG SLS mod also.

2. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

Yes, same here, the Megane WSGT is high poly compared to ISI one. So reduce the opponent details to gain FPS on WSGT mod.

3. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

Yes most of the modders dont really bother with poly counts, majority of 3d artists can make good looking models. Just give them enought of polygons and pixels on textures.. but sadly, that is not what game graphics are about, but the HW is getting better and better. The thing is, that here in rF2 you use more of the HW resources for physics and fidelity, wide spaces around tracks with car parks, buildings etc. In game like Asseto Corse, the physics are not anywhere near as accurate, and the tracks are way less detailed, trees from 1990s and almost no enviroment. But the cars themselfs have a lot more polygons and higher textures than ISI cars, simply, ISI uses HW more for accuracy and realism, where AC and other "sims" for eyecandy. Modders often dont realize it sadly...

4. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Number of objects and materials can have impact on resources left for physics, but polycount does not.

5. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

I was more like using a specific example for generic point, but what you said is not neccessary true

6. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

I learned in my GP4 days. Nothing affects as much as textures and shadows, the poly count plays a distant second fiddle. Yes it does impact some but not to the same scale.

7. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

of course that number of materials, size of textures and shadows resolution have a massive impact, but they all have to me applied on certain amout of polygons. More polygons you have, more complicated shadow calculation is. More materials you have, more drawcalls you have. It is so obvious that every single separate material you use is weighted with gold. You dont do it unless completelly neccessary. So if you use a general rule of 1 material, 1 object, acceptable texture size, than polycount is all that it comes down to (yes i know these cars in this topic use more than 1 material and more than 1 object)

Again i did use specific example for generic point, so if you guys are so well educated in real time rendering, you will know that there is so many factors that my post would have to be 5000 lines long to make you happy...

Off topic tho!

8. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Graphics card does that part.

Just to be clear - I was referring to what you said about polycount vs resources for physics.
    Polygon count affects frame rates, because GPU has more work to do. It is unrelated to physics, though. Physics are being calculated on CPU and from CPU point of view, a 3d mesh is a 3d mesh, requiring one draw call, no matter how many polygons it has.

Of course if we start going into technical details, then it get's more complicated, but that's another story :)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2014
  9. klaasvh

klaasvh Registered

Our textures folder for the Megane is about 70mb, wich i believe isn't much more than ISI's Megane. I guess the biggest difference in textures with ISI cars is that all cars have their own unique 2048x2048 DXT3 skin and window textures. Every single on of these textures is 5.462kb.

10. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I get massive FPS drop as well. I don't use the mod much because of that. Too bad, because otherwise it's great.

11. Thor

Thor Registered

Car made by ISI. HondaCivic and Marussia. Are extremely heavy to play the IA. Do not play with them because of it. The ISI has to review the textures or do something to change the performance. Therefore be difficult to use these cars. The Assetto Corsa is much lighter than RF2.

12. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Different systems, different experiences I guess.

I don't find ISI's cars that FPS heavy actually. This mod is bad FPS wise though.
    AC messes up my CPU big time.

13. Thepharcyde

Thepharcyde Registered

AI on ISI cars are fine for me a grid of 18 I get a solid 60fps at Silverstone. Megane mod in OP I get 30-40 fps

14. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Same here.