Would like feedback on 'extreme driving' concept

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Galaga, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Galaga

Galaga Banned

Sincere and constructive feedback only, please. No need to reply if this is not your thing.

Edit - v1.1 :)p) below contains some minor tweaks...

Extreme driving is a comprehensive and personal approach to sim racing that delivers a challenging and rewarding sim racing experience.

Extreme driving involves the most challenging vehicles on the most demanding, technical and dangerous tracks. The more difficult a vehicle is to drive the better. The more unique, interesting and uninterrupted turn sequences a track has the better.

Extreme driving challenges drivers’ skill, reaction time and nerve. Extreme drivers progress by improving their skills and reaction time ; NOT by repeated efforts, memorizing the track or setup optimization. In fact, extreme drivers deliberately change combos (both car and track) every time they drive to avoid mastery of any particular combo and only make setup changes to INCREASE DIFFICULTY. If your time improves, it will be because your skills or performance improves.

Extreme drivers drive as if their lives depend on it and always use 100% damage. Some drivers also simulate real world scarcity by limiting number of attempts they are able to make and also include real-world consequences by discontinuing the day’s or weekend's racing if their vehicle becomes damaged. In addition to increasing the intensity of the experience, moderating your sim racing time and frequently changing combos also means you are less likely to get bored or become trapped by the desire for an endless supply of new content.

Extreme drivers also often experiment with different lines, techniques and maneuvers to learn new skills and explore vehicle behaviors and limits. This can also be an incredibly fun and expressive form of driving.

Extreme driving is all about achieving your personal best performance and, thus, commeraderie is a much stronger force than competition because other drivers are more like teammates in that they help to understand / push upper limits, inspire us to new personal bests, and celebrate with us when we achieve them. The focus on personal performance also increases chances of a rewarding experience due to the control the extreme driver has over his personal performance and skill development.

Edit #2 - Diagram

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Sincere feedback: Codswallop

Constructive feedback: Realistic driving/racing would be good, I've long yearned for damage to cost money to teams for repairs for the next race. Think I wrote a Wish List thread either on the old RSC or here detailing my dreams about all that, simply put it's not gonna happen with RF2 even in the most basic terms.

3. myself9

myself9 Registered

I didn't realize that the way I like to drive could be categorized.
    "Extreme driving" sums it up pretty well.

I think this is the reason I prefer to drive classic cars, particularly American Muscle. Not nimble little 'Vettes, either. BIG ASS HEAVY Superbirds, Chevelle's, etc.
    Throw some single-ply tires on there, and I'm happier than hell.

From a competitive standpoint, I wish there were a way to filter online server results so that people could only take ONE shot at setting their personal best hotlap.

When it's time for screwing around and just having fun, I enjoy nothing more than loading up a course like Crimson Road, Transfagarasan, Targa, Mt Arrowsmith or Isle of Man, and just driving the course with friends trying to see what we can get away with :)

I get bored pretty quickly on most purpose-built racing circuits. Especially when driving some fancy sportscar or racecar that's SUPPOSED to go fast and handle well.

4. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

You guys should try Test Drive Unlimited. sounds exactly your ballgame. not trolling either.

5. Galaga

Galaga Banned

lol, MarcG, and if you want you can send me your damage repair money and I will ensure everyone pays up accurately :p

Exactly! That is a perfect way to describe it :) One of my favorite things to do. Always reminds me of riding dirt bikes cross country with my friends when I was growing up. Good times :D

[OT]
    You run virtualhillclimb.com, right? Did I see something from you somewhere around here that you had a server up? If you do that again, keep me on your mailing list. I will also post it on my website also.
    [/OT]

Edit - FYI, OP updated with some minor tweaks...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2014
  6. myself9

myself9 Registered

Right?! I occassionally play many of the open world driving games. Usually after a few pints ;)

7. myself9

myself9 Registered

Yep. We have Transfagarasan hillclimb up right now. With those monster Holden's R1COH layed on us a few weeks ago. Silly fun!
    Once a month or so, I put up an ill-conceived rF1 track/mod combo for a night so people can hang out and do some daredevil driving.

8. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Sorry, but what is your message here?

Plus; I saw another topic where you stated nOObs should not be online........here you're telling what a driver is/should be(?)
    Soww.......why are you the authority all of the sudden?

9. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Wow that became personal pretty quickly..? Where on earth does he claim to be "the authority"? He's just putting ideas out there?
    What does the "nOOb advice thread" have to do with this thread? Incredible negativity. Totally uncalled for.

@OP: Extremely (get it?) interesting thoughts. Appeals to me quite a lot. :)

10. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Together with the advise he gave to nOObs; this sounds pretty weird or arrogant, that's all.

11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I don't understand this thread at all. The OP appears to be describing a personal approach to sim driving; what sort of feedback are you looking for? If you're aiming to start some sort of group I suspect you'd end up with competition and a bending of the 'rules'...

12. Natureboy

Natureboy Registered

Extreme driver? Makes no sense! Maybe play: Ridge Racer, FlatOut or Dirt: Showdown etc. Why take an arcade attitude to sim racing?

13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Huh?

I really wish people would take the time to read posts. Makes understanding things a little easier.

PS:

He didn't mean sim cars should be difficult to drive, and the more difficult to drive the more realistic they are. He is saying (right there, in that post you can read again if you want) that his approach is to drive the most difficult cars.

14. Natureboy

Natureboy Registered

I tried reading this post, it's silly and makes no sense. This is about the most unrealistic approach to real racing possible.

15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Nothing about that post says arcade.

16. MarcG

MarcG Registered

He edited the post before your reply and my response was justified, as above it's a strange post that's now been amended.

17. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Ok, sorry. The bit you quoted is still there, didn't realise it was in a different context previously.

18. Galaga

Galaga Banned

Holy crap! Nice car and combo! Just did 2 runs on the server. First run, minor front end damage within the first two or three turns :p but stuck it out and ended up somewhere around 13 min I think. Second run shortened gearing and major difference, especially without front end damage ; at least until around 6 minutes or so when sustain minor front end damage and then around 10 minutes or so had major front end damage but able to finish lap with mainly just sloppy steering. Not sure what time was though as server re-started weekend before I checked. Incredible fun. Like my birthday. Like-minded server up and amazing new insane mod all at once. :D

19. Luis Armstrong

Luis Armstrong Banned

I don´t really know if i understand, but let´s see:

To me "extreme driving" would be if F1 mods properly simulate the real thing. If this could be achieve, i would call anyone here who is able to do the first pit stop along the 10th place on grid, using the same pit strategy and only behind 3 seconds as a Extreme Sim Driver.

20. Galaga

Galaga Banned

FYI, diagram added to OP.