Would enough people be interested to get together an endurance race?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Guy Moulton, Apr 14, 2013.

1. guod

guod Registered

We have run 36 cars / drivers before in rF1.

There would be a sub-channel for each car.

2. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

hehe, arent you getting enough of it at sr4l?
    I do, I wouldnt be able to squeeze another race in my Sundays.

Nice idea though, hope it all goes well :)

btw I think 2 hours is too long

3. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

2 hours is too short. I'm shooting for a 6 hour race with teams of 3! But I'll settle for a 4 hour race with teams of 2. It all depends how many sign up.

What does everyone think of using Poznan for this? Poznan and Corvette (and hopefully the P2) combo?

4. vittorio

vittorio Registered

you are right, i think i was high after the amazing race@nordschleife. :confused:

5. guod

guod Registered

2 is too short. We call a 2 hour race a sprint. :D 4 or 6 hours would be preferred. If it is 4 hours, how about 2 driver teams? That is the same "seat time" as 3 drivers with a 6 hour event (doh, I'm a math wizard) :)

Car(s) and track are fine. I wouldn't care if we did Clios ;) as we get some time testing the driver swapping in rF2 and (wishful thinking) the reconnect capability.

6. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

I'm setting up a server just for testing different tracks. It'll be set up for night (I assume we are doing dusk to night?) and you have to have the GT Endurance mod (GT-R and Z) and the Corvette and the Pescarolo mods installed.

Here are the tracks you need installed to test:
    Barbagallo 0.3
    Canberra400
    Fuji 2012
    HPTopeka
    Hockenheim
    Malaysia 1.42
    Mid-Ohio 1.91
    Mills 1.3
    PBI 1.1
    Portugal 1.2
    Poznan 1.0
    Sebring 1.9

Let's look these over in the dark and see which have enough lighting.

http://www.mediafire.com/?96b2kyiec4gjcue the rfmod

7. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I am down for this and would be willing to team up with Guy, Millard or Doug if anyone is interested. Two drivers can handle a 6 hour race even.... right Doug. ;)

8. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

w00t! I was hoping you'd be on this, Noel! I'm teaming up with a friend of mine from SRP already. You and Cactus Dave would be a scary combo....

I could do a 6 hour race, and that'd be cool because it'd split up into 90 min stints very nicely. Tge only thing i'd be concerned with is that a group of drivers who don't know each other, maybe a shorter race to start would be better?

9. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Yeah that may be a good idea.. maybe a short 1 hour race or something. Especially when you have multiple classes on a track at once. In the league I race with, the Wednesday before the real race we do a test race, actually two 30min races. These are normally a mess because Prototypes use this as a way to find all the good places to pass GTs. They tend to be very aggressive trying stuff they would never try on race day. Sometimes you find a place to pass that you would never guess would work. So yeah, a test race or two short ones is probably not a bad idea.

Also, testing driver swaps is probably a good idea. Simply learning how to get rF2 into spectator mode takes some work. You have to add +spectate to the command line to start as a spectator and -spectate to turn it back off.

10. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

11. Pumbaa666

Pumbaa666 Registered

Yeah I'm hoping for the first race we'd do around the 6 hour mark...

Leaves room for some teams to take in 4 drivers doing 1.5 hour stints while others could do 2 drivers with 3 hour stints...

Anything 2 hours or shorter really isn't giving this a proper test as that's only a sprint race...

12. guod

guod Registered

Or use the time compression and go from 12 PM using 3x time compression for the 6 hours. ;)

13. guod

guod Registered

14. nascar2112

nascar2112 Registered

This sounds fun, its been a while since ive done team driving

15. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

I could be interested to team up with Mauserrifle. Depends on what kind of a session it's going to be. I want to see what starting time and race lenght you guys decide.

16. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

I was thinking real time progressions, start at 6PM, go until midnight. If it's a 4 hour race, 8-midnight. That's local time on track.

For time in real life, I was thinking a Sunday, start at 16.00 GMT and go until either 20.00 or 22.00. This time makes it possible for those in the US, Europe or AUS/NZ to join. I race in a Race 07 endurance series (no swaps of course) and we start at 16.00 GMT. The AUS/NZ guys have to get up and grab their wheel on a Monday morning but it works.

17. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

hmm... real life starting time at 16.00 GMT would be possible. When are you planning to have this race?

18. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

OK, how about this: Let's plan on a test race of 1 hour. This will have swaps at 30 mins. We'll use the Corvette (I think everyone can agree on this car, right?) at Poznan. 16.00 GMT start time on May 5, 2013

This is just a test race to do the driver swaps and get to know the other drivers. We'll use the SimHQ server for the race and TeamSpeak. You will only be able to get the rfmod from here, not from the server. 50% damage. I like to use the same aids that the real cars have. That said, I don't know what the real cars use for driving aids in the 09 GT2 cars. Does anyone know?

The 6 hour race would be early June on a Sunday at the same time. Mid-Ohio from local time 6PM-midnight. Starts under the westering sun, ends under the twinkling stars.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2013
  19. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Just to be sure, that is noon for me, right Guy? Also, I got on a server and did some laps last night. Is this the server that will host the race on May 19? Also, where can I get the details on the SimHQ TS server?

20. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

The server I made up is just to get a look at the cars and tracks and see them at night (advance to race to see them in the dark). It's my personal serve that is good for smaller races, but not as many as I expect we'll have in this race. SimHQ will provide the race & TS server- guod can answer your server questions. http://www.simhqmotorsports.com/index.html check them out.

For us, Noel that'd be a noon start. 16.00 GMT- 17.00 Practice, 17.00-17.15 quali, 17.15-17.20 warm-up, 17.25 GREEN GREEN GREEN! Or should we go with boogity boogity boogity?