Would anyone be interested in a Spark based 1960's Indy racer?

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by klaasvh, Jan 18, 2015.

1. klaasvh

klaasvh Registered

This is an idea much like the EVE Matra F1 http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/20425-EVE-Matra-F1 Basically it's a rebodied Spark F1 powered by a Ford 4.2l Ford v8 in the style of the first rear engined cars at Indy ca. 1964/1965. It's been sitting on my HD since august last year and I don't have any time to finish it. So now I'm thinking of just uploading it here if someone else wishes to finish it. If not, I might get back to it in summer.

Modelling of the body itself is finished, engine and gearbox need some work. No lod's and no mapping.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's some pictures of the cars on which I based it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also, you could stick the engine on the open top Howston to create this. Don't know if it fits though. [​IMG]

2. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

Looks good :)

3. Cheeveer

Cheeveer Registered

Oh yes, bring it on! Great idea :)

4. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Wonderful idea!

5. RaceDoedel

RaceDoedel Registered

Would be great to this.

I am a big fan of history open wheelers. This one looks great. Go ahead and do it.

6. Damian Baldi

Damian Baldi Registered

It looks amazing ! if ISI make the Eagle they said they will do, it would be perfect.

7. boxer

boxer Registered

I really like the Matra so I hope some one with required talent takes you up on the offer... else I'm sure will be worth the wait.

Looking good so far.

8. Shamrock

Shamrock Registered

Yes, please!

9. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

10. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

Looks great! I've done a lot of laps of Indy with the 60s F1. Only downfall is that the AI doesn't like it as much. This would be a great addition. Hopefully ISI is still working on their Eagle, even though there has been no progress shots of that car or the rest of the Indy announcement (Besides the DW12 and Indy track).

11. FatCity

FatCity Registered

Looks great, I love the old Indy cars of all eras, especially the paintjobs and advertising on the cars, really outshine the F1 cars of those years.

Why not contact ISI and see if they want to take it up at some stage, you've already done the hard work and so have they lol.

12. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

The side pods really make the car look awesome IMO.

13. klaasvh

klaasvh Registered

They created some downforce too on the real cars, although nobody at the time knew it.

I might be able to get all the modelling done myself but I won't have acces to my rFactor 2 install until june or july. Personally, I'd love to see this in game and it shouldn't be 'that' much work since most of it is based on something that's already in game.

14. tjc

tjc Registered

Looks... hair raising! But beautiful. :)

15. Bryan Birtwell

Bryan Birtwell Registered

Looks like the F3 fanatics could be hosting some ovals soon!

Looks great!

Bryan

16. Voodoo Pizzaman

Voodoo Pizzaman Registered

17. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Well, since everybody seems to like it; who's picking this up than?

The visuals of the car (LOD's and mapping that is?) I know nothing of, but I'm in to make the physics; engine, gearbox and so on.

So that's one; who's in for the rest? :)

18. klaasvh

klaasvh Registered

Nice to hear from you Wim. For the physics, it's basically engine, gearbox and aerodynamics that need to be done from scratch. The rest can mostly stay the same as the Spark F1. I can take care of the 3d stuff myself at some point. Textures and template as well but I'm not the best with them. We just need someone to put it all in game.

19. Cheeveer

Cheeveer Registered

A great article on how that came about! http://gordonkirby.com/categories/columns/theway/2013/the_way_it_is_no411.html

""It was nice and clean but we had that big flat bottom on that car," McGee explains. "The other guys--the Lotuses and so forth--were sleek, cigar-shaped cars. A.J. Watson used to call our car a bathtub. We had this bathtub with the oil tank in front and the oil tubes running from the radiator down the side along the bottom and they were acting like little skirts.

"The 'bathtub' had so much bodywork area and a flat bottom that created a bunch of downforce. This was before anyone had discovered that you could make downforce from the car rather than being mostly concerned with the speed down the straightaway.

"Years later, we figured out we had probably a thousand to 1,500 pounds more downforce than anybody else. We had ground effect and didn't know it. The next year we put little chin spoilers on the nose and we put a ducktail on the back end. It all helped.

"The 'bathtub' turned out to be a much better design than the sleek, narrow Lotus-type car. It was one of those instances where we didn't know what we were doing but it worked much better than the concept that most engineers had at the time." "

20. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Hi Klaas,
    Well, my knowledge of 3d and "stuff like that" is zero so I don't know what it all means ;)
    But when I do something with the engine; can I test it in some way? Maybe devmod? Or do you mean that is not the case?
    Is is wise to test it all on the Isi car? Could that give any problems later on like things not working or fitting?
    What is the best for me to do?
    And most of all; how should the car be specs wise? Only oval btw?