worst front grip feeling Mercedes AMG GT3

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ceros63, Feb 7, 2022.

1. Manfredk2

Manfredk2 Guest

@doddynco wow, i am speechless. Setting the caster to 13 creates a whole new car. That feels great. I hope S397 @Christopher Elliott reads this and takes this setting probably as base setup for this car and for the AI. This could even heal the problems the AI has with the Merc.

The Merc could also have a problem with the suspension. Could good be seen at Lester/Electric docks. While other GT3 "suck" the rails by suspension the Merc lifts off

Screenshot 2022-02-12 140451.jpg

atomed, memoNo1 and nolive721 like this.
  2. nolive721

nolive721 Registered

Its really interesting how i ended up with 13deg too as to achieve what is great feeling for this car
    AMG FTW!

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I think it's easy and dangerous to see this as a 'fix' because the car feels different to the other ones by default. We have to assume its geometry is based on reality, so the standard car is closer to correct than an 'extra caster' modification.

Also interesting how different people have different preferences. Some love this car the way it is, others can't stand it. In real life you just work with what you have :p

TJones likes this.
  4. nolive721

nolive721 Registered

In real life you just work with what you have

not sure about that argument you keep on bringing on that particular car to be honest. IRL, racing teams are able to tune the car to suit also drivers wishes or tracks layout&conditions, to some extent, so why not giving us the opportunity , and of course the choice for those who don't want to alter this camber, to do the same.

sorry but I am having a hard time to understand this logic and I am kind of tired of arguing so I will go and enjoy the car with what he has to offer now

Last edited: Feb 13, 2022
  5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I'm not sure why you think I "keep on bringing" anything - I've said very little in this thread.

The car probably doesn't have adjustable caster in the game because it's not adjustable - either physically, or in the regulations.

Whether it's high or low caster, or steering rotation, some people like things one way and some another. All I'm saying is in real life you don't get the option to change everything. And as Doddynco himself said, the low caster here is more than likely correct and - although different - offers its own feel.

You probably took offense to me pointing out that you hadn't understood what he was offering, and this is a continuation of it. Well you're welcome, and have fun.

**ah, I see now. That was you in that other Merc thread. I didn't realise.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2022
  6. Stefan Donath

Stefan Donath Registered

Back in december, we've tested the AMG for our leagues with different caster settings and ended up with about 13.3° of caster for the car. Within our leagues, it's necessary to fix the caster to a specific value, so we choose this one to be the one to go.
    We've also checked other sims (ACC,iRacing) while researching for the correct caster value in real life. Unfortunately we didnt found any values for the real car, but theyre using caster values around 13° within ACC and iRacing. So maybe the real value is also within this range and the mentioned fix within this thread is really the correct physically based fix. And even if it isnt so, we're all winner when more driver choose this car and we're getting more diversity on track.

nolive721 likes this.
  7. nolive721

nolive721 Registered

I have been driving the AMG exclusively this week-end, with AI races up to 20drivers each on tracks like Spa, Nürburgring, Zandvoort and Monza.

I don't know if that's a placebo effect of me finally enjoying this car in the Game, but I have not noticed any of the funky AI cars behaviour I could see prior this "update" so its a 2nd big win for me

@doddynco
    Thanks so much again!

8. vava74

vava74 Registered

I actually love the AMG GT3. On my CSL Elite I use car specific FFB @ 100% and although there is a smidgen of clipping, it is almost exclusively on violent impacts with curbs.
    Outside of that I have a pretty good feeling of what the car is doing and wants me to do, being that getting around Nords on the AMG for me is a pretty uneventful ride (note, I am very slow as I am both untalented and inexperienced at Nords, where I have less than 40 laps there).
    But I will definitely try the modified AMG...

9. DJChrizz

DJChrizz Registered

crazy car, bit slippy, sound is nice ! ... I drive now after test the 720s MCLaren, I like this more for me.
    And the new M4 BMW GT3 ... is not BOP or ? to fast GT3 car with stock setup in my opinion.

10. nolive721

nolive721 Registered

I noticed this during a Nurbgring race but it was only one car and on passing over sausage kerbs so you could consider it as realistic, somehow depending of course of magnitude

I am planning to do more back to back testing between this S397 moded car vs the SLS done by Apex modding

11. vava74

vava74 Registered

I am convinced that the M4 GT3 was not supposed to become public with the current GT3 tyres and that due to this is overpowered in relation to the other cars.
    The only way that I felt it drove "logically" was with Hard compound tyres and with tyre pressures pushed up to 160Kpa.
    With soft tyres and 140Kpa it has way to much grip.

12. nolive721

nolive721 Registered

I had a Game crash and lost this revised version but the file doesn’t exist anymore

would someone kind enough be able to upload it again?

thanks so much

13. Manfredk2

Manfredk2 Guest

i could upload it as it is ok for @doddynco

doddynco likes this.
  14. Manfredk2

Manfredk2 Guest

15. green serpent

green serpent Registered

I think that in rF2 the self aligning torque too easily reverses direction with low caster values. There are many cars in rF2 where the self aligning force reverses direction... Yet, IRL even with pretty low caster angle rarely do you ever get a reverse in direct of the forces at the steering wheel. No doubt that the reverse in direct at a certain slip angle is technically correct in rF2 at the tyre, but there must be other forces IRL that keeps the feedback at the steering column positive.

Especially with power steering, why would a modern racing car ever have geometry that translates to a reverse in the direction of force feedback? Maybe there's a reason IDK.

Maybe there are a lot of cars that do reverse direction IRL, and I just haven't driven said cars, let alone pushed them at high front slip angles.

16. doddynco

doddynco Registered

It might be desirable for the caster self-centering element of the FFB to be reduced near the optimum slip angle so that the steering forces sum to a force level for the driver.

I disagree that the Steering force of the Merc GT3 becomes negative at a certain point - instead, it just reduces near the optimum slip angle. If it was negative, and you let go of the wheel, the car would go full lock and spin instantly, which it doesn't.

If you take any 90's F1 car for example, and if you drive it with a Thrustmaster T300, you can easily man-handle the steering wheel under any condition. Whereas, the same car, but with a 1:1 nm force output on something like a simucube, the car is now man-handling you!

However if you reduce the mechanical trail by reducing the caster or moving the linkages rearward, the contact patch warps, and the center of forces of the tyre sometimes moves slightly in front of the lead point. The more the tyre warps with steering lock and load, the further forward the forces move - this reduces the centering force. Good geometry will not linearly increase in force as the steering lock increases for a few reasons, but from the drivers perspective, you'd never feel understeer, and the steering would be heavier than necessary.

When you have a car which will quite happily numb your limbs after 20 minutes, calming the centering force under high G cornering is really good idea. With a 1:1 setup, these 'low caster' cars don't feel weak at all, they just have a zone near the optimum slip angle where the driver can be more sensitive to the steering wheel, instead of trying to fight it.

The best example I know of is the Formula Renault 3.5. On a Thrustmaster, it feels very lack-luster and doesn't really make any sense. But with a big DD wheel with 1:1 force, it actually feels like very purposeful and communicative suspension geometry, designed to allow the driver to get the absolute maximum out of the car under high G cornering, and to not be fighting it.

Same with the Merc - it just feels like it's understeering on a Thrustmaster, but on a big wheel it is actually really nice.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2022
    green serpent likes this.
  17. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

the mercedes has the worst steering control of all the gt3's by far

Manfredk2 likes this.
  18. doddynco

doddynco Registered

You have the most useless and annoying posts on the forum by far.

19. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

hahahaha, thanks, .. you forgot to say, in your opinion

20. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

I think it has some issues with the ffb, not with the steering control. The car can be controlled just fine, but the ffb feels off - especially by comparison to other GT3 cars.

If we compare the Merc ffb to some older cars in rF2, it seems similar to me. One key common element is that of optimal steering slip-angle, where the steering resistance begins to drop off (like in AC ffb). With other GT3 cars in rF2, there is quite a bit stronger sense of understeer through the wheel but, it's due to increased resistance, and then a plateau.

Florian Dubiel likes this.