Working with the camera tool in rFactor2

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by JoakimFranosch, Mar 28, 2022.

1. JoakimFranosch

JoakimFranosch Registered

Dear Studio-397 team; dear rFactor2 team,
    The support E-mail sadly rejected my mail, so I am posting here.

My name is Joakim Franosch and I work as a professional videographer in virtual motorsport.

During the last year and especially during the Virtual Lemans Series I worked within rFactor2 and its camera tools a lot. I also work closely with broadcasters and virtual photographers who also have been using rFactor2 a lot.

When creating any form of content for simracing teams within rFactor, we always try to make the simulation look and sound as good as possible. However, some of the features, behaviour and quirks of the ingame camera tool makes it incredibly frustrating to work with.

From not being able to change Freemove speeds without changing the controller JSON file, not being able to set the Aperture and a focus point/depth, adjusting the amount of Camera shake on cameras, not having consistent WASD directions when moving an attached camera... all the way to not having correct sound as the virtual microphone position does not move with the camera.

All this and much more is stopping us from creating better and more high quality content within your simulation.

Other Simulations like ACC/iRacing/RaceRoom are far, far from perfect when it comes to the camera tools, but rFactor has unfortunately given us the most frustration.

The reason I am writing this post is because I would like to offer help to the studio from my colleagues and myself, to maybe improve the rFactor camera tools to allow us to present rFactor to racing fans online in a much better way, making broadcasting more smooth and adding a lot of quality to the content produced around rFactor2.

If anyone has something to add to this; Or any suggestions to make working with the camera tools easier (aside from modding) that would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a lot for your time, kind regards
    Joakim Franosch

PLorenti, svictor, Javibeza and 2 others like this.