wont close

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hmatty, Jan 20, 2022.

1. Daniel Erstling

Daniel Erstling Registered

since the latest update my rF2 also doesn't want to shut down on exit.
    Fanatec wheel here and no G-Hub in use.

2. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

does pressing the exit button in steam work?

3. Daniel Erstling

yep thats working. game closes with it.

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Steam is definitely already running when you start rF2, right?

(otherwise starting rF2 will cause steam to start, and that can lead to steam waiting for itself (or some part of itself) to close before it thinks rF2 is finished, because it thinks that "part of steam" is actually part of rF2...)

5. Daniel Erstling

steam is already running.
    But as I use only VR (WMR + OpenXR) I start it from my WMR environment. Maybe that's something which confuses rF2 right now, when closing it?
    On the other hand, things worked fine until the last patch, so nothing changed in that regard from my side.

6. Szabolcs Deak

Szabolcs Deak Registered

Same here. Luckily it closes when forced from Steam.

7. delapecs

delapecs Registered

We still have no solution to this problem, it happens 100% of the time. Can we expect a fix soon?

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I don't think it's happening for everyone. It doesn't happen to me.

If it happened to all devs I'm pretty sure they'd be working on it (and it would be much easier, because they could try to work out why and test fixes directly). I don't know if there's any trend or pattern identified in this thread (or others) to help work out why it happens for some people. If you/we can find a way to make this happen to someone it's currently not, it would perhaps help a lot in tracking it down.

I assume you've already checked the usual suspects to rule those out (logitech, plugin, steam startup, perhaps vr startup, ...).

(if I load the game and then exit again, it will hang for 1-3 mins before closing; if I enter even a single player session, then quit, it closes immediately. But I don't even know if that happens for others...)

9. delapecs

delapecs Registered

This morning I try different things to catch it but unfortunately none works. Deleted UserData folder, devmod, check integrity, new controller and player json from scratch with minimum changes (rearview distance, heat fx..), new settings folder..
    Something curious that has been happening to me since yesterday, is that sometimes when I close the game the initial game screen (the CLICK TO START one with the dallara in the background) remains and I cannot go to the task manager or steam to kill the process.

10. JParra

JParra Registered

Here is another user affected by this problem.
    It's been happening to me for a while, but it's already unbearable, especially if you're an organizer and you have to do a lot of testing, mounting mods, etc... unbearable.

Now I also have the problem that from time to time when starting to load the circuit it gets stuck on a gray screen (I use Quest2).

I know this is another problem, or I suppose so, but with so many crashes due to different things it ends up being really disgusting to use rF2 and enjoying it so much when everything works, it's maddening to have to slam the simulator and go to other things to forget your frustration.

I have a lot of patience and love for rFactor 2, but both are dangerously low after so long with small problems.

11. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Been a long time since I've had crashes, so first things first. What vid card? What build #? Have you verified file integrity in Steam?

12. JParra

JParra Registered

Verify Steam files, cleaning Shaders and CBash directories, checking for possibly faulty mods and restarting everything is the first thing I do when I have a problem with rF2. It's been many years already fighting with him

The graphics card (which appears in my signature) is a GTX 1080 (which I hope to change soon ) and the drivers are up to date, as well as Windows 10 and everything that may be related to rF2.

davehenrie likes this.