Wired Controller Support?

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by gencoupe38L, Jul 4, 2021.

1. gencoupe38L

gencoupe38L Registered

Hi, I purchased rFactor 2 a few days ago via Steam but when I tried to get configured, I see that there's support for a wireless Xbox 360 controller, but I only have a wired one. How do I get my wired controller working with rFactor 2? It works with Forza and other products.

Thanks!

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Welcome to the family. I'm not sure there is a difference, but I don't have an Xbox or even one of the controllers. See if you can manually assign your various buttons and levers to the throttle, brake, steering etc.

3. gencoupe38L

gencoupe38L Registered

Thanks for the reply, I can try the manual mapping but I'm afraid the analog stick won't translate nicely to an X/Y coordinate grid, I don't want jerky steering lol but I'll see if I can set it up smoothly

4. gencoupe38L

gencoupe38L Registered

Well the controller inputs binded but unfortunately as predicted, steering is extremely jerky. It's effectively "on" or "off" because the analog stick inputs are binding disparately (i.e. LR, LL, LU, and LD) instead of proper axis handling (if I barely hold the analog stick to the right, I should barely veer to the right). Please develop local usb controller support as I do not have a bluetooth option available.

5. gencoupe38L

gencoupe38L Registered

aight man no need to get snarky but thank you for the video. I was unaware of the Calibrate screen but thanks to your reply I've figured out how to describe this more accurately:

While the Calibrate screen appears to show rigid "divisions" of pressure on the analog stick, I'm thinking this may be more just a refresh rate related on the UI. More on this in a sec.

When starting to drive, I keep a closer eye on observing the reaction of the received inputs. If I thrust the analog stick in either direction, the wheel immediately responds to 100% rigidity of wherever the analog stick's value is. While this is perfect for racing rigs with a physical wheel (with a one-to-one position of the wheel's rotational value), it is conversely close to undriveable on standard controllers/gamepads. Forgive me regarding my less formal racing knowledge, but after observing driver footage of the same vehicle I first used, I do see that the steering wheel's range of motion for full displacement is much more limited than a traditional street vehicle. However, I'm now loading up a Nissan 370z, which should have the more standard steering range & displacement.

What I found is that the steering appears calibrated the same way, with instant deltaT rigidity. The optimal gamepad input paradigm however is cumulative force oriented. For example, if I continue holding fully right on the analog stick, the wheel should continue turning until it hits max range of rotation over time. But more importantly (though still the same concept of cumulative steering force over time), if I completely let go of the analog stick after holding full-right for 3 seconds, the wheel should not immediately snap back to center. Instead, this is the lack of steering inputs as far as a gamepad is concerned. The expected & optimal behavior here would be to let the steering more naturally return to center, again over time, just as you would expect and observe with a standard wheel in a street car. If you let go of the wheel, it corrects itself over some time/distance, not immediately the very instant you release your hands from the wheel.

I did decrease the steering sensitivity to 50% which helped substantially, but the steering still feels very jagged. There is also immense rigidity with the deadzone it appears, though I'm sure I can adjust this sensitivity as well. Nonetheless, one-to-one steering on a controller analog stick instead of momentum-preserving the steering force seems to be a developmental oversight regarding alternate input schemes.

This is what is throwing me off with driving in rFactor2. Unfortunately I don't have a proper wheel setup that I can use, so I am limited to using a standard controller. Please implement a cumulative force paradigm with steering force via controller. Thanks!