[WIP] Mosport

Discussion in 'Locations' started by shiet, Oct 3, 2015.

1. Tosch

Tosch Registered

The road reflection is created by two maps. The alpha of the road diffuse texture for little details (cracks) and the alpha of the asphalt spec map (puddles).

http://wiki.rfactor.net/index.php?title=Shader_RealRoad

When the "puddle" map looks stretched I would say the UV mapping for the asphalt spec map is stretched too.

2. shiet

shiet Registered

Tosch: I tried your settings with the trees.
    One of the trees (the f*cker from yesterday :D ) got too bright.
    Also the bole of an other group of trees got yellowish.

So I set them back to original.

3. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2015
  4. shiet

shiet Registered

Thanks but it's too late, I'm already done with the "planting". I'm already done with the post-2013 side of the track, tomorrow I will do the pre-2013.

5. shiet

shiet Registered

The track is 320 MB (the .rfcmp), and this is only one track version. Is there a way to sort out the unnecessarry textures (not manually one by one)?

6. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

Yes.

The easiest way is this:
    Once loaded with 3dsimed, export textures and gmts to a different folder.

You will get rid of unused gmts and textures. Beware animations files and some others are not exported. You will need to move those manually. It depends a little bit on the file structure you use. For example I never separate gmts/textures/anm files. I only use track layout folder, main and GMT.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 mediante Tapatalk

7. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

I do it a bit different to Eusko I have a separate Folder for gmt, maps, anims and each layout. All your common gmt's go in the gmt folder. Only the track specific gmt's go in the layout folder
    eg All the x files for that layout, the grass/road patch (you changed between layouts) and any cones or barriers that you used. The game looks in the track folder first for everything then it looks in the main gmt folder.

You may have to manually edit the .scn to swap out the objects and change the search paths.

8. shiet

shiet Registered

Well, 327 MB -> 293 MB. :D still a lot. At least it's below 300... :D
    I could trim down ~96 MB if I would resize the road textures (I have 12 different) from 4096x2048 to 2048x1024.

edit: I think other than the road textures the spectators take up a lot of space, I have a ton of spectators and these are still rF1 spectators each one 30-100 kB.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2015
  9. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

Texture size doesn't affect performance much. It adds to the RAM but usually does not impact fps. I wouldn't care about download size or RAM at 300 MB.

Gmts affect performance much more. The size of the GMT is relevant. 100 spectators x 30 kb/each = 3 MB. That's the size of a complex grandstand. I basically do not use spectators for this reason.

A good way to improve fps is to adjust lod in/out values so that each object uses the minimum value possible avoiding that the object suddenly appears or disappears. Driving and TV cameras need to be checked.

This task needs some practice and the process is iterative by trial and error. A good starting point is to set a 500 m value. Some objects can support 300 while others require over 1000 m.

I typically increment fps by 30% with respect to all objects using the general clip planes defined at the heading if the scn file.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 mediante Tapatalk

10. shiet

shiet Registered

OK, I'm done.
    Obviously nothing went smoothly today so I couldn't pack the two versions into one (several terrain elements were in conflict between the two tracks) and the AI pitentry-pitexit lines are not really smooth (at all...).

Changelog:
    - new pit
    - same base but it looks somewhat better

video:

download links are at racedepartment.com:
    pre-2013: http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/mosport-pre-2013-wip.7790/
    post-2013: http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/mosport-post-2013-wip.7558/

In the last couple of days I was really frustrated with this modding thing because I wanted to finish my job on the track in a way that it's OK because I don't really think I can work on it later. Now I know this is not for me. I would call this track a "patchwork" (this is how you say it?), I can see that I make a bunch of things wrong but I simply can't make it better. I made this Mosport and Road Atlanta in rF1 only to race against the AI but this project became something much more and I'm not really OK with that. At least I learned to use Sketchup but modding IMO looks like half Photoshop and I still suck in Photoshop.

This is how this started:

Basically my first track ever. And with a little polishing I was happy with that. :D But this is too much.

Thank you everybody for the help, GL!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2015
  11. Harmermania

Harmermania Registered

Any chance a kind soul could link to somewhere other than racedepartment. I am banned from there b/c I signed up for two accounts from the same computer (happened a long time ago - I forgot I already had an account - because I never really go there). I politely requested that I be allowed to still be a member despite my error, but never got a response. Cheers.

And shiet: awesome job! It looks real good. Thank you for putting in all the effort.

12. Corti

Corti Registered

Bravo Shiet. Great job. I'd settle for being half its work.

regards, ~ISR~Corti.

13. bwana

bwana Registered

Good Shiet!! great job so far . Thanks

14. shiet

shiet Registered

I uploaded them to dropbox.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kwo1uhukaj7p794/mosport_post2013_v0789.rfcmp?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/8uxe4zjdiyl1wmz/mosport_pre2013_v0789.rfcmp?dl=0

also I updated the first post (just added download links so don't have to search for them in the thread).

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2015
  15. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

The track is very, very nice and despite your frustrations a great result. Hopefully you will find time and energy to keep polishing it, or can work with others who will help. This is not very far from a true 1.0 release and given the popularity of Mosport itself, if finished, it will become one of the most renowned rF2 tracks ever.

16. MapleHamwich

MapleHamwich Registered

Well, you've put out a quality of track much higher than a lot of them out there.

17. ben willis

ben willis Registered

Here Here! This is an amazing build of mosport and if this isnt a v1.0 then i cant wait to see what it'll be like finished because currently its brilliant! Keep it up! :D

18. F1 2004

F1 2004 Registered

Great work! We need more guys like you shiet. :)

19. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Shiet, you've done one hell of a job here. I'm very impressed!
    It looks and feels great! :cool:

20. samcar304

samcar304 Registered

Oh wow Amazing job Shiet! Can not wait to use the ISI daytona prototype when we get it round here!