[WIP] Mosport

Discussion in 'Locations' started by shiet, Oct 3, 2015.

1. shiet

shiet Registered

The trees from Euskotracks already have bump maps and specular maps. So I don't understand... :confused:

2. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

Yes. I can confirm that the tree xpack I provided already uses those settings except for the RGB and fresnel values.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 mediante Tapatalk

3. hoover

hoover Registered

Thanks Shiet for doing this, it's much appreciated. Mosport will always have a special place in my heart thanks to GPL... we ran many exciting races there in the Screamers days.

Also thanks to Tosch and Euskotracks and everybody who's been helping you out!

Uwe

4. Tosch

Tosch Registered

The default fresnel specular values are way low to create an effect on the trees (leftover from the early lighting system). Billboard trees are flat. A good combination of bump and spec maps adds "volume" to the tree. The different RGB values slightly change the lighting depending on the direction of the sun. To make this work correctly you shouldn't flip the textures on the billboards for better variation, because you would also flip the bump maps and the left/right component of the normals would be inverted. When the light comes from the right, the right side of the tree should be illuminated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. shiet

shiet Registered

You already know that I don't know what you are talking about but I believe you so just make a bigger picture with those settings. :)

Does this mean you wanna take over Mosport after my release? :)

6. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

Thanks for the explanation Tosch.

I barely touch RGB and Fresnel values since I don know what I am a actually doing. Maybe now with GJED this gets easier.

As I have stated in other times I don't like trial and error method when many variables that need to be optimized are involved. I think that the chances of further spoiling things are big.

Wrt bump and spec maps I can tell that all three textures are perfectly aligned. I may not have understood what you mentioned about FFB flipping. All the included trees have already the UV mappings. No need to offset anything. 4 different seed gmts sharing the same material.

Enviado desde mi SM-G130HN mediante Tapatalk

7. shiet

shiet Registered

I have a serious problem which came out only today.
    When I "step" onto a certain part of the terrain I fall below the track. :confused: In game I spawn back in the pits but in gJED if I go back onto the road (even if it's just 1 cm) I come back at track level. I hope you can understand.

Tosch: pls make a bigger picture with those settings so I can read the letters.

edit: I've found the problem.

Btw planting trees (making treegroups) in 3Dsimed is a joke, you put one tree in the wrong position and you have to start it again for that group.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2015
  8. Tosch

Tosch Registered

When you leftclick the image it should open the full size image.

About the gjed thing. I have the same for some tracks but I never tried to figure out how to fix this, because most of the time I work with 3dSimEd. You can try to add the terrain material to the tdf file.

9. shiet

shiet Registered

I clicked the left button but man that's small (1024x519).

Now this is what I hate the most, I'm struggling with ONE ****ing tree for two hours now... in this time the track should have been ready.

WTF is this? also when I drive nearby I can see that it dissappears when it comes close the the edge of the screen.

10. Eddy

Eddy Registered

Not that i could help but am very interested in this project. but your vid is private :confused:

11. Tosch

Tosch Registered

12. shiet

shiet Registered

Ooops, I fixed the video.
    Whatever I just figured out, this is freaking frustrating. The problem was what? There was only 1 tree in the GMT. With more trees it's OK. Ridiculous. 2,5 hours.

edit: I was wrong, it's still flickering.

13. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

I would erase that tree and start it over.

14. shiet

shiet Registered

I did it 3 times, I created a new GMT 3 times. I even reconstructed the terrain (just a try). I deleted every other objects around it. I tried it with different specularmaps and bumpmaps. :D Do you think I just sat here like an idiot doing nothing for 3 hours? :)

Here is the problem again (I will delete these videos after the release), any ideas what causes this?:

15. shiet

shiet Registered

It's good if I flatten out completely that little hill below the tree but I don't want to flatten out the hill because that hill is there in real life. I'm gonna disable the shadow for that tree.

16. Tosch

Tosch Registered

I know that problem but I have no solution to fix this. :( Billboard trees should rotate only around the vertical axis, but a tree exported by 3dSimEd rotates around the vertical and horizontal axis. You can check this by looking at the tree from a high point of view. The wrong rotation creates flickering shadows.

http://www.trackcreation.net/devdiary/?p=282#more-282

The quick and dirty solution would be to disable the object shadows for all billboards and create a x-shape tree on the same position (render=false, ShadowObject=(Static, Texture)) to work as shadow caster. The trees at Atlanta Motorsports Park are created that way.

17. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Someone reported this happening in one spot at the new Mills 2.0, so if it makes you feel any better...

18. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Don't delete it! Put a bunch of useful tags in your video and copy+paste Tosch's words below, in case someone else comes along looking for help on the same issue.

19. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

My recommendation is not to delete any videos. They are very clarifying for understanding the problem.

Let Google deal with their storage problems.
    In order that this videos do not "spoil" your YouTube channel simply tag them as hidden and they will only be accessible when linked.

Regarding the problem I think sufficient has been explained and some getarounds have been proposed.

I didn't know about the double axis rotation problem with 3dsimed. I would report the problem at sim garage (3dsimed forum). Dave is typically very receptive for bugs and suggestions (despite being a small developing company :) )

20. shiet

shiet Registered

Now another problem.
    I created all the road textures with Nuno's road texture generator.
    In Photoshop I'm using the NVIDIA plugin to save into .dds format.
    I have to use DXT3 ARGB 8bpp / explicit alpha to save the textures but this way
    1. the file size is pretty big (one texture, 2048x4096 is 11 MB
    2. the rain looks like this View attachment 18427 - I think it should be parallel to the road not perpendicular.

If I use DXT1 ARGB 4 bpp / 1 bit alpha then black patches appear on the road texture.