[WIP] Fxaa settings for Rfactor 2

Discussion in 'Third Party Content' started by modmate, Jul 3, 2012.

1. modmate

modmate Registered

[RELEASE BETA] Fxaa settings for Rfactor 2

Hey,

Just a little while i try to find a way to integrate timothy lottes fxaa injector in Rfactor2. For me it looks somewhat better then standard. I disabled ingame AA and FXAA and added settings for Bloom, Fxaa, sharpening....
    Just take some time to find the best result for looks and performance. What do you think?

OFF
    [​IMG]
    FULLSCREEN: http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/1959/offzj.jpg

ON
    [​IMG]
    FULLSCREEN: http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/9439/31802185.jpg

BETA DOWNLOAD:

http://modmatemods.webs.com/apps/blog/show/16785574-modmates-rfactor-2-fxaa-beta

Greets Modmate

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2012
    2 people like this.
  2. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

I don't see myself ever using FXAA because I don't like what it does to textures. Plus, I don't really have a need for it.

1 person likes this.
  3. modmate

modmate Registered

What a quality post. you may post some about what you see and not your personal preferences.

Greets

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  4. Flaux

Flaux Registered

Looks very similar modmate. So what is going to be the benefit in using the injector. Performance?

HDR on in both screens?

5. Navigator

Navigator Registered

@ Modmate........What a weird answer.....the guy just answers your topic and you give such a crappy answer......putting him down; strange.

So I gave you a -1 with feedback; that's where the system is for, right?
    You, child as you are, give me -1 with the comment "just to give you back" ........wow........what's wrong with you?
    And; that's not what the system is for. You may give me -1, but give some feedback then ;)

Nice to see that now this happened; you really changed your utterly negative post into another, less hurtful post......so no one can see where the negatives came from........or you did actually learn something :)

6. modmate

modmate Registered

hey,

Yes Hdr is on in both , but Fxaa is changed and i also play around with sharpening effects a bit, maybe more noticeable if you open both pics beside in fullscreen. Look at the details appearing. Also i have used a sepia filter to get a better overall contrast.
    Got a bit better performance with this against isi fxaa so far, but that will likely change in Rf2 later stage.

7. Navigator

Navigator Registered

To be ontopic; is it just me or are the colors better in the second image? Looking at the yellow from the windscreen, the banner on the tunnel and the "Mid Ohio" sign (the red) ?

8. modmate

modmate Registered

You are right, that was one of the goals. Thanks to bloom and fxaa in combination with a sepia filter it looks verry nice.
    Well, it does best at Mid Ohio from VLM. Look also at the wall and the more distance objects wich look more detailed. You can see best the AA effect if you look at the rearview mirror.

9. Navigator

Navigator Registered

I can see that, yes.
    I'm a total nOOb with this stuff; why was that the goal then? To get the fps okay while adding fxaa or just to get more realistic effect?

10. modmate

modmate Registered

Well, i think a bit of both. I think the build in FXAA doesnt look that good and just wanted to see what the injector can do.
    I do also completely disable ingame AA and set it up through Nvidia inspector with 16XCsaa. The result was great so far, with everything maxed out ingame i got min. 79fps on that above track and with 20AI drivers. Got about min.60 with ingame AA and Fxaa enabled.

1 person likes this.
  11. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

I've tried FXAA in a couple diff games and it looks like total s$%t. It makes texture look horrible on the edges and I still see bad aliasing.

12. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Hmm, it's time for me to look a bit deeper in these things; thanks for the explanation! +1 :)

1 person likes this.
  13. modmate

modmate Registered

Thats why the Fxaa injector need a complete new setup for each game out there to look any good. In combination with the correct Gfx Card settings and a good fxaa setting with some added effects and filters it does look great. Open up those too screenshots in complete fullscreen beside and do a comparsion, washed out or bad AA, not really.
    I may just release my settings so anyone can give it a try, it doesnt affect any original files.

Greets Modmate

14. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Please do.

1 person likes this.
  15. modmate

modmate Registered

Well ok, look at the first Post, ive added a Link to a "beta" version. Dont expect too much.
    I really like it right now, and since tracks most likely will look like VLM`s Mid ohio that was my example and starting point, so the best is to try exactly that. Some thoughts are always welcome.

Greets Modmate

16. rhombeus

rhombeus Registered

Is only for nvidia user?

17. modmate

modmate Registered

No, it work with ATI too, just make sure to disable ingame AA and set it through CCC instead.

Greets

18. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

19. modmate

modmate Registered

No sorry , i will not work on SMAA. Its a good idea but far away form beein useful to me. You can clearly see that you`ll loose much details and get also Flickering on Alpha Textures and shaders. The performance is equal on both Fxaa and Smaa but like i said before its not JUST fxaa wich will be added there is pretty much more.

20. daWave

daWave Registered

I see some sharpening in your injected screenshot but thats pretty much it.

What about using injector not only for sharpening which is pretty nice imho, but also for getting rid of that cartoonish yellowish and greenish look, make it little more dynamic and real looking like these comparisons...

original:
    View attachment 3075

fxaa-injected:
    View attachment 3076

original:
    View attachment 3078

fxaa-injected:
    View attachment 3079

original:
    View attachment 3080

fxaa-injected:
    View attachment 3081

To me that looks more realistic and is damn much more immersive to race with until ISI get their HDR-profiles and stuff adjusted ;)

I would really like to post these settings if anybody's interrested !