WIP - F2 skinpack

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by Ryno917, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Ryno917

Ryno917 Registered

Thanks, mate :)

2. tjc

tjc Registered

Big yip from me on that one too mate. :)

3. Ryno917

Ryno917 Registered

I've got a couple ideas in mind for schemes for it, but they'll have to wait (off to Vegas tonight for a week, and a much needed holiday). Once I get back I can begin working on them. I have a couple lose edges to tidy up on the EVE cars, as well, still, but not much there.

As an aside, I'd still love to get my hands on the UV wireframe for the historic helmet, if anyone would be so kind as to import it into 3DS and spit out the UV map for me? :)

4. Ryno917

Ryno917 Registered

I know this is a massive bump, but is anyone interested in these? If so I'll begin working over the files to latest version of the EVE so that they fit nicely with the default cars and benefit from the recent upgrade they got. Just fired up rf2 for the first time in many months and wanted to bring these back. The updated historics are looking nice (mirrors! yay!).

5. domhnall

domhnall Registered

I'm interested!!!! :) I'm like you and typically race offline for the most part, so a nice skin pack to race with is always welcome :)

6. renard

renard Registered

+1 on that, some new F2 skins would be great.

7. Hazi

Hazi Registered

8. Ryno917

Ryno917 Registered

Glad to see there's some interest :) I'm going to work on this a bit today and see what work I can salvage compared to the updated cars. It'll be quite a while before I have something to show I'm sure, but we'll see.

9. Mydriaz

Mydriaz Registered

+1
    I've never seen many 60's F2 liveries.
    I had a look on your pics and that would be great to make a mod...

10. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

Thanks for picking this project up again!

11. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

12. tjc

tjc Registered

Absolutely!!!

:cool:

13. lbird

lbird Registered

I'll second that. 60's can benefit big time from some different skins....

14. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

Yes, I tired a long time ago, of racing multiple copies of the same three colors.
    However, 40LM did give us some reprieve from that.

15. Ryno917

Ryno917 Registered

Glad to see there's interest. I have a few experiments I want to do with regards to getting new textures onto the original cars without mismatches (it should work...) but I just need some time to get to it. Maybe tonight. Maybe. :)

Then it's full-bore on the new stuff. I'll start with the updated textures first, then move on to the skins. I'm making a list of all relevant files (there's a lot of un-used files in the original cars!), and then I'll be going through it and removing all files that I don't need to modify at all (those will be loaded from the original files instead of the new component to reduce redundancy and filesize). I think most of the work on this pack is going to be organization.

16. Dale B

Dale B Registered

Looking forward to these, nice work!

Thanks so much ;)

17. Ryno917

Ryno917 Registered

Sorry for the silence on this front as of late; work has been insane. I'm technically on vacation right now, but I'm still working. That's always fun...

In any case, while I've got some animations rendering in the background, I've spent the last several hours finally sorting out the files for the new version of the cars. All the previous stuff I've shown has been on the old version with the broken mirrors and old driver. Now I've got two cars working in the sim, standalone, with the updates. I've worked out all the essential files, and stripped out all of the redundant/outdated files to reduce filesizes and loading times. This time around I'm also trying to group things as much as possible. For instance, instead of every car with white wheels getting its own texture, now they'll all reference a common texture. Should help reduce file size and loading times in the end.

I'm happy to have my ride in the game again, properly, with the right colored wheels and interior. Just need a few more tweaks to some of it (I want matte pipes!) and then it's on to the other cars.. Then I have to do it all over again for the Spark. In any case, not bad for ~3 and half hours of work.

18. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

Good to know your still on this project. Thanks for the dedication!

19. tjc

tjc Registered

Good stuff Ryno... your work on this is very much appreciated. :)

20. Ryno917

Ryno917 Registered

Thanks for the support guys :) I was on vacation in Chicago last week, so no update yet. My next task is going to be to work on a few of the textures I'd like to update before I turn to updating the previously painted cars to the new file naming system. Hopefully I'll have a few new images to show in a couple weeks.