[WIP] Chapman Track Creator

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by TChapman500, Dec 10, 2013.

1. TChapman500

TChapman500 Registered

Thanks. I would like to be directed to this NR2003 forum.

Mystical likes this.
  2. Mystical

Mystical Registered

TChapman500 likes this.
  3. TChapman500

TChapman500 Registered

4. TChapman500

TChapman500 Registered

Time for another weekly update: I'm creating a DLL that I'll be able to use to test DLL support for the simulators (at the same time I'm implementing support for said simulator). I'll be testing it as I finally implement the mesh generator. I may be able to implement the mesh generator AND the grid generator at the same time. The first step will be to test to see if the track editor can call the appropriate functions from the DLL in order to initialize support for any simulator. The second step will be to see if it can initialize the renderer. I've also re-implemented the original event system that I made as my "updated" system doesn't work.

SPASKIS and Mystical like this.
  5. TChapman500

TChapman500 Registered

First post updated.

Mystical likes this.
  6. TChapman500

TChapman500 Registered

Guess it's time for another weekly update. This week, I went to a dedicated web hosting service to host my site on. The link is on the first page and here. This will be the official website for the Chapman Track Creator. I have been having problems sending emails from the site, so I've spent most of the week trying to fix that to no avail. So not much work has been done on the track editor. I have however, been working on the mesh generator today. By the end of today, I hope to have enough of the mesh generator done that at least the track's wireframe can be rendered. And I still need to add in the code that looks for and loads the simulator-specific DLL files. Without this feature, the track editor won't be able to support any simulators.

SPASKIS likes this.
  7. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Already signed up. I didn't receive the confirmation email but I could normally login and look around the forum structure.

I wanted to say hello and introduce myself but I couldn't find any appropriate thread or subforum so I didn't dare to use any of the existing threads. I understand that some of them should be locked since it is only you who is supposed to post (for example the weekly update one).

Cheers

8. TChapman500

TChapman500 Registered

Actually, I deliberately left most of the threads unlocked. Upon seeing your post, I added an "Introductions" forum, but the "General Discussion" forum could have been used for introducing yourself. Check your PM, Spaskis.

SPASKIS likes this.
  9. TChapman500

TChapman500 Registered

Progress Report Time:
    It's been a busy week this week. Early on in the week, I got the editor to load a DLL file that implements simulator-specific support. There's only one problem: When I implemented the DLL in a manner that simulates how another user would implement a DLL, the track editor simply refused to compile. I'm currently working on a solution to that problem. And I was so close to being able to implement the 3D graphics engine!

On another note, I started to move my website to a new host today. One that will allow stuff like activation emails through to those who register with the site. If you were to visit the site right now, you'd get a 404 error and a "not secure" warning. Once the site is back up, I'll resend the activation emails on any accounts that are still inactive (once I confirm that the new settings are working). The site should be back up on or before Monday.

SPASKIS likes this.
  10. TChapman500

TChapman500 Registered

Got the emails on my website working now. There should be no more issues. All users with inactive accounts have been sent a reactivation reminder email so that they can activate their accounts.

SPASKIS and Oddonis like this.
  11. TChapman500

TChapman500 Registered

Progress Report Time:
    I think I finally solved the problem with the editor's API, and I've published an early version of the API on GitHub (link on the official page). I'm currently working on (a) making the mesh generator feature-complete, (b) making a grid generator and (c) getting the track editor to utilize all of the functionality of the API. The New Project dialog box has been updated because the previous version was malfunctioning for some unknown reason. For those who decide to use the API in it's very early state, it should technically work with the track editor, but that's not guaranteed.

Also, everything about my website is working as it should. I even added a forum specifically for feature requests. I also added a development area that I can accidentally knock down without losing data on the main site. This will probably be the last post that updates you on that website as it has a forum for such discussions. Probably starting next week, I'll start posting updates on the official forum for the CTC in the appropriate thread.

Oddonis likes this.
  12. TChapman500

TChapman500 Registered

Progress Report Time:
    This week was spent debugging a few quarks of the MFC framework that was causing the track editor to misbehave. The good news is that it was just a single line of code that mapped a message to a function that the track editor was never going to use. This line of code is placed there for every "MDI" project using the MFC framework. That single line of code (and the corresponding function) has been removed.

It pleases me to report some very good news concerning the compiler that I'm using. Visual Studio 2017 recently got an update that fixed a problem that forced me to use VS2015. So now I don't have to use two different compiler versions on this project. Oh, and I finally got the old version of the track editor working again after trying desperately to figure out what was wrong with the new version. It's coming to the point where I could just delete the old version and it wouldn't affect the project at all. I've kept it all this time more as a reference in case something goes wrong. But now, because the new version has all of the features of the old version, I almost don't need the old version anymore.

The API got a major update as well. There are now more functions and more options to configure. Plus there's a brief tutorial on how to use the API on the GitHub page. I also have been using NR2003 to test the API functionality and it appears to be working perfectly.

The Chapman Track Creator now has multi-threaded rendering implemented. That said, I'll be implementing a way for the track editor to update and send the generated mesh data over to the DLLs to be rendered. Now that the API seems to be working fairly well, I have been adding stuff to the UI to allow the user to change how the track is presented to them. Also on the topic of mesh generation, I've made a few changes to the event system that will make it easier for me to get the various objects to communicate with each other. I guess I should also implement a way for users to add stuff via the viewport now that the new rendering system is working. But first, I'm going to finish-up the mesh generator.

Nibiru likes this.