Windows Server 2003 SP2 - rF2 not working

Discussion in 'Hosting Help' started by Imre Bende, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Imre Bende

Imre Bende Registered

The previous build was perfect. I updated it to 860, but i got an error message when i started the hosting.
    "core component core ui v1.0 is missing etc etc"

Ok, delete all files, download full version, install.
    After the installation, i can't start the rF2. Error message:
    "C:\ProgramFiles\rFactor2\Launcher\Lancher rFactor.exe: not Win32 application"

Can do you help me?

2. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

From the build notes

- Dropped support for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 to make exploitation of state of the art Windows APIs possible.

3. Imre Bende

Imre Bende Registered

Hm, and which op system is the best for rF2?

4. Ricklandia

Ricklandia Registered

Dropping Server 2003 may have just effectively killed our league. :mad: Dropping XP I get, Microsoft officially dropped support some time ago. But Server 2003 is still in support scope until Summer 2015. This announcement is a bit on the short notice side of things, especially for something like a server OS change. We've been struggling to keep members interested in rF2 through all the builds as it was, losing our server might just be the kill shot. :(

(Sorry ISI if it sounds a little on the bitter side, just that it's such a potential blow to our league...)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2014
  5. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

I'm pretty sure they didn't decide to do so just to piss on people, it just might be because of some technical limitations or issues don't you think ? But you can just opt to keep using the older build, rFactor2 supports multiple seperate installs.

6. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

Indeed, regardless of the fact server 2003 might be in the support timeframe until 2015, it has the same limitations as xp because it's based on the same kernal (I think).

Is upgrading your server software not a solution?

7. Ricklandia

Ricklandia Registered

Certainly. I understand their want [need] to keep pressing forward with development. I think what bothers me is the brief amount of notification for such a significant change. Brief enough that I'm sure we are not the only league that will be scrambling. In all seriousness, we [as a league] have worked very hard during these difficult times to hang on to our members, who quite honestly have been slowly drifting away to [another race sim who shall not be named]. I get it. Some got tired of releases that broke more than it fixed, the frustration of mods breaking, and from an admin side the frustration of having to sweat each time a new release came out. Sadly this is yet another example. But we pressed on regardless with the hope that sooner than later we'd reach some form of stability and start seeing refinements instead of wholesale changes.
    Rich, unfortunately an OS upgrade is not up to us. We've had a working relationship with our current hosting folks for over a decade now, one that allows us to pay what we can each year from league donations. For that we've been very thankful. It's allowed us to keep our league free [no money] to join and yet still provide excellent services. We are working with the host and can only hope for the best in that regard.
    In truth, with the growing demands of server hosting in rF2 if we had to move to a new hosting service and shell out the necessary money required for a suitable server, I think we'd need to seriously consider requiring contributions from our membership, at which point I'm sure many would consider joining [the sim who shall not be named] instead. Less hassle, more content.
    I get that if rF2 loses another league, no one will shed a tear. Our league was around long before rFactor and will continue on regardless. I just find it a little sad that ISI fails to understand the role that long time leagues have played in the success of rFactor, if for nothing more than helping to provide an atmosphere for new racers to join and not be overwhelmed by the needlessly complicated [at times] experience of properly setting up the sim. I've been a fan of rFactor since day one, and continue to admin at our league, but I'm starting to see the logic in those who decided to "jump ship" and move on.

As for continuing to use an older build... not going to happen. Most members will want to see the new release, but most will not want to go through the hassle of learning how to maintain two [or more] builds. It also mean that our server will be useless to the public, at this stage one of the only reasons we've managed to stay alive as a league [recruiting new members].

8. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

We're not sure yet, we share server costs with another league and they are the ones dealing with the hosting company etc, not even sure if the host allows for OS changes. never crossed such an issue before.

I understand the need to develop rf2 and streamline the technical sides when it comes to OS support, no harm there. but it would have made more sense to do it around December. league's typically pay their bills around that time and renew stuff. Now its more mid-season with bills already paid.

We are still running the previous build indeed, members have been made aware to install 860 separately but it aint exactly ideal, who's going to join a league running old builds? The struggle to keep it alive just got a little bit harder hehe.

Fingers crossed Rick! we survived many problems with rf1/2, why not this one :)

9. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

I totally understand where you're coming from with regards to costs, Rick.

My community was primarily on iRacing. Then, I decided I wanted to expand to rfactor2 and other sims. For this, I decided we needed a dedicated server.

I approached it this way;

"This is what we have, this is what we could have....but this is how much it will cost. If we fail to meet the monthly cost, I will take that to mean you don't want it anymore"

The response surprised me and the server has been up for six months now.

I just leave it up to the community, basically. They "vote" with their wallets under zero obligation to do so.

Either way, I hope it works out for you guys.

10. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Well that's one of the issues Rich, 6 years ago this would not have been a problem at all with our league bursting from active members and new joiners. But ever since RF2 beta was released, AC on the horizon, etc. the sim-landscape seemed to have changed and it spread out much more then before.
    These days we are lucky to get 12 regular members active each week and recruiting is not what it was (we had to put them on reserve lists for crying out loud lol) , simracers seem to want to have fun but maybe there is too much around to dedicate themselves?

So there's prolly not enough active peeps around to fork out the cash these days.

11. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

What league is it you guys run/are in?

12. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Checksum my siggy

13. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

On my phone dude, so can't.

I have an offer though;

Should your server provider not update the OS, I will make you an account on my dedi box (in the Netherlands) for your league to be able to continue....

I would provide you with a clanpay link should you or any of your members like to make a contribution to the costs, though there would be no obligation. I wouldn't get involved, just give you the details to your account.

All in the interests of keeping a league going.

Totally up to you, just offering you an option.

14. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Wow dude, did not see that coming :)

And I guess it pays to vent about stuff because your offer is the 2nd one in a very short time lol, I guess we are not dead just yet!
    We are about to run some tests on the first offer, which is from one of our own members no less. So if that works out....
    And we might still see our own server being updated, who knows, they have not replied to us yet on what's going on.

Needless to say I am very happy with your offer, very generous Rich and thx allot for that. If our options don't work out I will contact you for sure :)

Btw our site is http://www.legends-league.com

15. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

That's great dude. I'll check out your site when I'm home.

The offer will stand as long as we have our server. Its great there was another offer too. Really good to see!

16. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Why are we calling each other dudes all the time, we not even murricans.....

17. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

Don't know dude. ;)

18. Ricklandia

Ricklandia Registered

Similar to when I call you guys "Mate"?
    Thanks for the offer Rich, nice to see the community hang together like that!

19. Max Angelo

Max Angelo Registered

Come on guys!

I raced in Legends League at the time that Achim was the admin (many many years ago :) ), your league is one of the first ever born (about 2000 i think?) and killing it because the server version it is like to destroy the David

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_(Michelangelo)

because its marble is too old! :)

20. Ricklandia

Ricklandia Registered

Thanks for the support Max. Yeah, Legends-League has been around a long, LONG time. According to our website:
    The point was [or was intended to be] that this issue may push the league away from rFactor2 and on to another sim. ISI is not the only pony in the rodeo these days...