SOLVED Windows 10 random restarts

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by PRC Steve, Feb 28, 2016.

1. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

Hi Guys, as I am well aware we have some very knowledgeable sim racers here and I am hoping I can get some help to get to the bottom of an annoying problem.
    I upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10 (64) around 6 weeks ago and since build 1052, when running rF2 my PC will just restart for no reason, it happens in single and multiplayer, in any session completely random, last night was the last straw whilst lining up on the grid for a league race.
    My PC is really dedicated for racing only, I only have my rF2 sim software and a couple of other "car games" installed. apart from rF2 only really Dirt Rally gets a start up. So just Steam, browser and a few programs related to sim racing like dashmeter pro and sim commander. I have no anti virus running except the default windows defender.
    All chipset and gpu drivers are upto date, my PC is clean and runs fine and fast, Temps are all within tolerances, nothing is overheating and inside my case all is kept clean and free of dust. My PSU is a very good model with ample power, so I am at a loss why I get this random shutdown/restart...no error messages, no warnings, no updates being installed...very strange and like I say, very annoying.

Could anyone shed some light or suggest a fix ? TIA

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2016
  2. regged

regged Registered

I had something similar with my HTPC running Windows 10, when watching films using Kodi my PC would reboot unexpectedly, sometimes several times during the length of the film. I "fixed" my issue by running Kodi on linux. Possibly there is/was an issue with the video card driver and Windows 10, my graphics card is a Nvidia 970GTX, might be worth upgrading the drivers if you haven't already.

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Check your event log?

4. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

For what exactly, I am not too bad with a PC but Looking in event log doesn't give me any clues. I have placed trace=2 in rf2 launcher options as well now but i'm not sure if thats the right command, a log is getting created but again, what exactly do I look for.
    I also used gpu driver uninstall and did a complete clean install of Amd drivers to see if thats the issue.

5. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

It seems the temp monitoring tool I had was not doing the correct job, I re-installed windows 7 and still had the same problem, So used a different temp monitoring tool and my CPU seemed a bit hot, re-seated it on fresh thermal paste and gave everything a good clean and all seems fine...for now.

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Sorry Steve, never made it back to this thread. My answer would be 'anything obvious' !! ... which of course there usually isn't, but if there had been it would have been a good way to find out what it was. As it is, I hope your CPU temp is the culprit and you have no issues :)

7. Nielsen

Nielsen Registered

Im comming to rF2 from iRacing where a lot of people got stuttering and suddenly restart problems after they had installed Win10.
    At least some of the members reported back that they had solved the problem by disabling Prefetch and Superfetch.
    The explanation goes that the stutters/restarts is caused when the 2 services uncontrolled by the user tries to optimise prog access.
    The issues was often in combination with a SSD drive.
    Win10 uses the 2 services different than former Windows incarnations.

8. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Fingers crossed! Stay away from Win10 a bit longer and remember to avoid GT Legends DVD ROM :p.

9. Drathuu

Drathuu Registered

Been running win10 for 12+ months now.. run all day without a crash.. 4 hour endurance - no problem.

Its not windows 10, its some software you have conflicting and/or a hardware fault.

10. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

I have established its not a software issue. That's why the thread is solved.
    With all PC problems its a process of elimination. I thought I had it nailed but now I have it confirmed on 2 different operating systems both clean fresh installed.
    And I am sure temps are not the issue.. Seems my PSU is crapping out..or at least that's the next logical explanation.