Windows 10 Problems

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by C3PO, Aug 9, 2015.

1. C3PO

C3PO Registered

Hi - upgraded main rig this morning to Win10 and suffering the following problems:

1. Clicking on the start button does nothing - have to right click and then select the function.
    2. Trying to open something like a picture causes a prompt to say "Go to windows store to find an application" - when when I click on that it goes nowhere. Cannot get to the windows store.
    3. nVidia surround won't work. When selecting the three monitors in their correct positions, the display for each reverts to something like 1024 x 768 - highly, highly annoying. Running the Win 10 drivers from nvidia.

Any help appreciated.

2. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Get Classic Shell
    http://www.classicshell.net/

It is still W10 beta but works fine.

You should be able to still right click and associate files,
    in the pop up list scroll down, it hides browse.

Then most times you may have to click file then reselect your app newly added to list and tick the box a 2nd time, then it always takes.

Why on earth they get rid of Picture Viewer I dunno, hide Calculator.

You try to make a shortcut for Calc in System32 ( I rename it Calculator and pin to Classic Shell startmenu ) it says you cant ? wt ? so it puts it on desktop, but then............. you can paste it back to System32. ??? :confused: lol :D

I back to good 'Ol W7.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2015
  3. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

Windows 10 working fine here so far... although I had to abandon the junk browser and get Chrome almost immediately.
    I had issues downloading drivers from Nvidia's site immediately after install. I'd click the download button, accept the terms and nothing.
    I loaded chrome, set it as the default, went back to the site and bam! download...no issue.
    I can't quite figure out how Microsoft can develop and put out an OS...yet get their a** handed to them every time (where the browser is concerned).
    Baffling!

4. C3PO

C3PO Registered

How do I reinstall Win10 if it is a corrupted install?

5. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

Installed Win10. Had to get and install Nvidia driver. I used Explorer. Worked fine. Use Firefox as my default. Have for years now.
    Most everything I had on the Win7 upgraded to Win10 works bar 3D Max. Broke the exe. I've installed fresh install but none will open.
    AVG needed to be upgraded.
    Others have said their installs are working fine.
    Others have had other programs not work. Some with rFactor1. Mine works fine.
    It's a mixed bag for everybody it seems.
    There are those that have had no trouble at all.
    For the most part it's been reasonably trouble free.

6. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

Go here to create a bootable usb or dvd for fresh install: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Make sure you either have your serial key or Win10 is tied to you MS account and activated before you fresh install.

7. nipzon

nipzon Registered

C3PO, if you are still having problems it is most likely because your win10 is not activated.

8. C3PO

C3PO Registered

Many thanks guys - nuked the contents on one SSd (!!) and reinstalled using boot from USB stick. Seems to have worked!

9. FuzzyFassbender

FuzzyFassbender Registered

I have done 5 Windows 10 upgrades so far (ISO, always new registry, reinstall apps), one being my sim racing computer with a ton of add-ons (SimVide, DashMeter Pro, Roccat Power-Grid, Thrustmaster drivers, etc.) without any issues. Windows 10 found and installed drivers for everything (latest NVidia drivers, etc.) I had except a second older PCI audio card (SimVibe) but that was easily fixed with a manual install. Easiest Windows upgrade ever - and I used Windows 1.0 :eek:

10. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

GodMode makes a return to W10

If you ever liked that sort of thing.

Activating it will bring together all system settings and configuration options together.

Create a new folder anywhere you like on your PC and name/rename it to:

GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

Note: You can substitute the GodMode for whatever you like then pin the icon to startmenu.

[​IMG]

lool :p

11. MarcG

MarcG Registered

My laptops all set for W10 upgrade but my desktop hasn't even acknowledged it's available yet!

12. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Bored waiting for a rookie...........

:D:p

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

Serious though that is my Start, I have to re-enable a Classic thread shortcut to even get to it.

-------------------------------------

Again as stated in a few threads, use media tool there is no need to wait. :confused:

As long as your OSes are W7 SP1 or W8.1 you get free upgrade.

There is a lot of people missing out from what I read , I assumed they have OEM 7 and 8 versions updated to SP1 which don't qualify.

Don't quote me on that.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2015
  13. MarcG

MarcG Registered

did an update and then it popped up, not fussed about upgrading just yet, got some simming to catch up on first :D

14. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Just saying if both Oses qualify it takes maybe a hour to make 2 x 4GB thumbdrives of your W10.
    ( you have 12 months and counting to do it )

Understand you do not have to update your OSes to do this, if you run update you do.
    MS media tool runs standalone and will guide you through the few clicks.

No time like the present, it is very painless, run them while you have dinner.
    USB installs make doing OSes a pleasure.

If you have Home you get Home, Pro you get Pro ( I am pretty sure ) lol

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2015
  15. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I'll do my laptop this week, but I'm a bit concerned about Crossfire issues with W10 at the moment so may wait on my desktop for the time being anyway.

16. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Yeah that is why I use TrueImage, when I had issues with W8.1 and W10 "many times" I restored my W7 in minutes.

Just saying it is nice to have the faith and confidence you can return to your primary partition quickly in case things go astray.

( I hear from the time you activate W10 you have 30 days to return to W7 or W8 ....again don't quote me )

But now I have solved some more bugbears this go I feel confident W10 will last more then 24 hours this time. lol :)

17. Carlo

Carlo Registered

All versions of Win 7 SP1 and 8.1 qualify for the free upgrade (OEM and system builder included) with the exception of volume licensing SKUs (those with Software Assurance, enterprise).

Once upgraded and activated using a MS account, a generic product key is generated:

VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T

In lieu of a product key, Win 10 activation uses a process called "hardware based digital entitlement" to store the PC's motherboard configuration on MS servers (sort of "fingerprint"). The license is non-transferable; it is tied to the device (computer).

From Microsoft regarding "clean" installs after upgrading:

"If you upgraded to Windows 10 on this PC by taking advantage of the free upgrade offer and successfully activated Windows 10 on this PC in the past, you won't have a Windows 10 product key, and you can skip the product key page by selecting the Skip button. Your PC will activate online automatically ..."

You have 30 days in which you can roll-back to Win 7. After that, your Win 7 license is invalid.

Microsoft is pushing out Win 10 first to machines that have current drivers for all internals. In other words, those machines most likely to have a successful upgrade.

Specific models of Dell, HP, and Lenovo laptops are experiencing upgrade problems.

It would be wise to read the following before upgrading:

1) Microsoft Privacy Statement (click "Expand All" on the right)
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/privacystatement/

2) Microsoft Services Agreement
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-US/servicesagreement/

Personally, I won't be upgrading any of my client machines so I'm more concerned about blocking Win 10. To do so, see this:

KB3080351 - How to manage Windows 10 notification and upgrade options
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3080351

This seems strangely appropriate.
    View attachment 17573

18. Rony1984

Rony1984 Registered

Start button issues here as well... Wouldn't know of any fix though

19. Skan

Skan Registered

When You are done installing, reinstalling and/or upgrading an operating system the computer is looking for everything that it think's it might be missing or need. Letting this process run it's course can take a few hours and it is not going to always (if ever) say that it is doing this. You will know when it is done when the hard drive light for the drive that the OS is on stops blinking constantly or in any type of pattern. During this time it is a good idea to check the windows update. When win10 came out, it had updates that very day and frequently since. If You check and they have updates, get them. After the installation of those updates, go back to waiting for the hard drive light to stop blinking constantly or in any type of pattern. Once that happens AND You can restart the computer without it saying anything about updates or configuring, then You move on to installation of Your other things.