Windows 10 ? Conversion Discussion

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by smbrm, Jul 12, 2016.

1. smbrm

smbrm Registered

We are approaching the end of the free upgrade period for Windows 10.

Just wondering if there are any words wisdom regarding, cautions about whether conversion is worth it, as it relates to our favourite sim?

1) Convert to Steam then Windows 10, or convert to Windows 10 then Steam?
    2) Any issues with Windows 10 and Steam Rf2? Solutions?
    3) Any hardware related issues with Windows 10? I have heard some have had issues with G25/G27 wheel functioning problems after converting to Windows 10? Solutions?

Just thought this topic was worth an update discussion?

Cheers

2. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

My experience was a bit tough in the beginning. I first updated but few weeks later I had to recover my system from scratch since it got corrupted somehow and the laptop wouldn't start.

I have an asus laptop and some original drivers (audio and keyboard) needed to be reinstalled from the support page since the update spoilt them and the recover from scratch had the same result for those.

No problems with rf2 except that I gad to reinstall some visual c redistributables.

Nor with steam apart of the things I
    don't like. We had to change several things at server level to adapt things to how steam works (I host a league).

W10 runs fine but forces you to keep updated. Several things are changed but in general, I like it over w7.

Enviado desde mi ONE A2001 mediante Tapatalk

3. Mauro

Mauro Registered

i upgraded to win10 yesterday and no problem. all works fine

4. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

Had no issues here either. Installed like a normal Steam game and played. No hardware issues either.

5. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

I regret updating to win10 while reinstalling and upgrading hardware in my gaming pc. I've had no issues with win10 on my modding pc, but now I'm having fuber plugins and having to do weird work around for MultiView to run at wanted resolution - some could be hardware related, hard to say really. But for gaming, win7 worked just awesome.

6. FastestGuyOnTrack

FastestGuyOnTrack Registered

For me, I immediately lost 50% of my overclock, due to VGA driver instability (GTX 750Ti). I had to reduce the amount of OC, that was applied before.

7. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

For best results:

First, do the upgrade and activate it.

Then download new Win10 version drivers for all your hardware. Store on a thumb drive or 2nd hard drive or in the cloud.

Then make a Win10 ISO, wipe your hard drive, and do a fresh install.

Install your new Win10 drivers.

Profit :)

8. Pete Beardsley

Pete Beardsley Registered

I upgraded to Win 10 about 6 months ago. I had no issues at all, with games, Steam or hardware (yes I use a G27 too). The only downside was the firewall I was using at the time (Comodo) wasn't Win 10 compatible.
    A couple of months later I did as buddhatree suggests and did a clean install after wiping everything. Definitely worth the effort IMHO even if it is a bit of a nuisance to do.
    In short, my upgrade experience has been pretty much pain free so I would have to recommend it.

9. smbrm

smbrm Registered

Thanks for all the replies.

One issue that I have read about is with Benq gaming monitors. Apparently there is an issue with scaling and speed, at least with XL2420z, maybe others. The functionality to allow selection of scaling and resolutions above 60hz may not show up in monitor controls. Can't really find much on definitive solutions. Just wondering if anyone have observed this and/or found anything that helps restore functionality?

10. dylbie

dylbie Registered

I have another question... I have Windows 7 Ultimate. If I upgrade to Windows 10 will it be 'home', 'professional' or 'ultimate'. Or do these not exist anymore?

Windows 7 Ultimate works very well, and I'm someone who works on the ethic of 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'. I have 4 days to make a choice, and I don't want to regret the choice either way! =/

11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Do you actually use anything that Ultimate gives you? Actually that's not important here, just curious.

You can upgrade to Win10, then immediately roll back to your current install. If you decide to try a clean Win10 install later (in a year, 2 years) on that PC you will already have a license for it.

If you don't upgrade, and later decide to try it, you'll have to buy a license.

Just do some reading around first; I think uninstalling a software firewall wouldn't be a bad idea just to avoid potential issues with connectivity.

12. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

I had win 7 ultimate as well, upgrade gave me win 10 pro
    I upgraded and after a few hours checking it worked well I did a factory reset (nice option to have) where it deletes all files and restart windows 10 from 0 so I can't roll back anymore. Win 10 is very good, everything worked well so far, even the logitech profiler I use (5.10) worked without problems. rF2 is running more smooth in this windows too, it didn't make miracles tho.