Windows 10 ahhhh

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by patchedupdemon, Dec 21, 2017.

1. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

this May not be the right place to post this but I know there’s a lot of knowledgeable folks on here so what the hell.

Basically my pc ran fine this morning,I turned it off and it shut down as normal.
    I fired The pc up an hr later and a message came up saying,windows can’t load,it does it’s auto diagnostics and tried to repair but fails.
    I’ve tried all other advanced repair options,even resetting the pc,but all fail to repair and it just will not boot to desktop .

Now seeing as all the windows repairs aren’t able to fix it,I booted from the windows 10 usb drive,and had a look at a reinstalling it.

When I select custom installation,I see that there are 4 partitions on my 1 drive,3 partitions are the windows stuff and the fourth is what’s left of my hdd,so all the personal files and data I guess.

Now my question is,could I just delete the 3 windows partitions and create a new partition and install windows on that,so my personal data is kept on a separate partition and safe

Any help would be greatly appreciated

2. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

format you finish before, by the way in windows 7 I think much better and faster

patchedupdemon likes this.
  3. ceecee

ceecee Registered

Can you screenshot the partitions and upload the ss?
    A normal Windows 10 installation via the USB stick will add a 500 MB service partition before the C: installation so the question is what are the other partition names and sizes ?
    Normally booting from the USB stick and deleting the unwanted partitions via the Windows installation (leaving the data partition with your files) and letting Windows make a new installation partition you should be safe.
    A backup of your data first is always the safer method but I know this is not always possible.

patchedupdemon likes this.
  4. LokiD

LokiD Registered

the most recent W10 update, gave me an IO error on my SSD drive unrepairable!!!

5. ceecee

ceecee Registered

Check firmware and change/swap SATA cables and if possible SATA port.
    Difficult to offer more advice not knowing manufacturer/model/firmware.
    In my experience I have never seen a OS update/upgrade cause this.

6. GrimDad

GrimDad Registered

Will it boot in safe mode with networking? (press F8 on bios screen)

7. LokiD

LokiD Registered

yo guys i tried everything swapped out cables reformatted etc etc

You couldn’t see it in bios and in disk management it kept saying Io error couldn't do anything to initialise .Tried in my brothers PC same thing just dead, tried it on a mac dead. No one could access it in bios or OS to fix it.. SO i bought a samsung 500gb ssd. It was a samsung 250gb.

8. patchedupdemon

Yeah can’t back up data unless I order a HD’s reader etc.

Drive 0 partition 1: 450MB recovery
    Drive 0 “ 2 100MB system
    Drive 0 “ 3 16MB. MSR
    Drive 0. “. 4. 931GB primary

thanks for the replies guys,if you don’t see it being a problem I will just delete 1,2,3 partitions and install again

9. lagg

lagg Registered

It seems to be a physical problem of the SSD.
    I don't think that an update can damage the disk physically.
    If the bios doesn't recognise the disk, or it's broken, or bad connected, or there is a problem on the motherboard, or the cables are damaged...

10. patchedupdemon

Won’t boot to bios,just keeps giving my the auto repair screen even when selecting safe mode in repair option and revottong

11. ceecee

ceecee Registered

Drive 0 partition 1: 450MB recovery - you can delete
    Drive 0 “ 2 100MB system - delete
    Drive 0 “ 3 16MB. MSR- delete
    Drive 0. “. 4. 931GB primary - is this where your data is ? if so, is there still another partition because if not, this is where your data is along with Windows.
    I normally make a C: partition for Windows and Programs and a D: partition where I save the data (Documents/Photos/Videos etc)
    If drive 4 is the only other partition and you install Windows, you will lose your data as it will be overwritten.
    If you have a spare hard disk (or a large enough USB stick) you can connect it and use a bootable USB made in EaseUS Data Recovery (have to check this first, let me know if you want to go this way) and copy your personal data first.

12. LokiD

LokiD Registered

my damaged SSD was my games drive so my working SSD has the OS on it. So my PC still worked.

13. GrimDad

GrimDad Registered

Can you change first boot to CD/DVD and run a BOOTFIX from the installation disc?

14. patchedupdemon

Tried all the repair options,nothing worked.

I have just bitten the bullet and deleted the three partitions and installed it on the primary partition again,i Read on Microsoft website that windows ten keeps the old installation archived in a folder aptly called windows old along with the documents folder etc.
    Will report back what happens and what I still have.

I have a feeling I will pay for my ignorant impatience though

15. GrimDad

GrimDad Registered

Good luck!

16. patchedupdemon

802C15FC-FEDE-4718-99BC-AB2AC5464FFB.jpeg From a quick glance all the of my games documents and downloads have been archived,so I can just place them into the new folders.

Still not happy though,a day wasted

Thanks to all who gave advice,much appreciated

update,all my personal files were kept.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
  17. patchedupdemon

Happened again today,booted pc and straight away gave me black screen with message “scanning drive c and repairing”
    Then another message repairing windows,but again wouldn’t boot to desktop.
    Bios recognised my hdd but couldn’t boot anything from it,windows boot files corruption is a common issue with windows ten it seems.
    Have had to reinstall and now updating everything yet again.

I’ve ordered a ssd to put windows on,so I don’t have to keep copying my data over and over if this keeps happening

18. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

19. patchedupdemon

Just the ones that comes with windows,eg defender etc.

I have been running windows ten on this machine for two years now,I let a Microsoft support guy take remote control of my system earlier to see if he could work the issues out.

All he said was my motherboards bios was not compatible with windows ten,then I told him I was using the pc just this morning,and have been for two yrs,so how can it be incompatible,he just kept saying update your bios lol

I’m going to wait until my ssd comes and then try again incase my hdd is a fault

20. Hazi

Hazi Registered

Just try to install again and disable updates - you can opt out for a month or so - maybe an update was finishing installing when you turned off or booted up and so W10 could not start again...