Window vertex illumination

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by McFlex, Apr 17, 2018.

1. McFlex

McFlex Registered

Hi guys i have a problem with the vertex illumination for the front/side/rear window. I do it according to the tutorial of S397 but it simly doesn't work. Only the front and the left side windows show the correct water streak behaviour as they follow the default behauviour. The right side window water streaks flow to the front when driving and the rear window water streaks flow to the right while drivng. The UV Mapping is done right but i have no idea why the vertex illumination doesn't work. I use 3ds MAX 2012. Is there any special thing i have to look for? Do you have any suggestions what i could check? Should i upload anything what could help you analyse the problem?

@Tuttle @Luc Van Camp

Greeting Felix

2. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

Post a pic of chnl2 UVs

3. McFlex

McFlex Registered

4. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

Whats below the front windscreen? Is that the left and right windows? The left windows should be on the left side like the rear window is on the right.

5. McFlex

McFlex Registered

On the left side out of the checkered pattern? I thought the UV map is just repeating to the sides and top?

6. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

Yes on the left side of the checker. That's what the tutorial shows.
    Yes the texture does just repeat. BUT just guessing as I don't know enough BUT maybe the code allows control over the offsets.

7. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

Something to also double check is that both the inside and outside work the same. I had a windshield where the outside looked good but the inside arc was reversed. I just flipped the UVs of the inside and it worked.

8. McFlex

McFlex Registered

No the problem is not about wrong UV mapping. It's about the vertex illumination not working. At the end of the tutorial there is written that the rain code uses the vertex illumination color to flip the u coordinate for the right side window and does something similar to the rear windows. What i understood is that the rain mapping is split into two parts. The upper map is for the frontwondow and the lower part for the side and rear window. The water streaks in the lower map flow from top to bottom while standing still and from left to right while driving. This is why the u coordinate has to be flipped for the right window

9. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

I dont completely agree with what your saying.
    Main reason is the rear window doesn't have much sideways movement, if any the outsides move inwards towards the center. That why it sits on the right.
    What do the windows look like in 3dsimed? Do they display the illumination colour? If so then you might have vertex color instead of vertex illumination.

10. McFlex

McFlex Registered

Nope i haven't done vertex color otherwise the color would also show ingame as red or whatever. Maybe a difference in devmod/single player?

11. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

So to be clear you have moved the UVs and its still the same?

12. McFlex

McFlex Registered

Yes but with no effect. See screenshot
    upload_2018-4-18_20-48-9.png

13. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

I have just rechecked my cars and can confirm this issue. Left windows streaks move forward.
    I have a dummy texture set for chnl2 in 3dmax but
    I get an error "can't load math.dds for material wcwindshieldin" and for all the windows materials when loading in dev.
    If I load the windows in 3dsimed and add the dummy texture and export the windows load fine in game. Maybe this is corrupting the left windows.
    Do you have the same issue with the materials @McFlex ?

14. McFlex

McFlex Registered

By channel 2 you mean the 4th map in the material editor? I don't set a texture there and the export as .gmt works fine. I always resave the .gmt with 3DSimED due to another problem but in general the work with and without resaving.

BTW left window streaks to the front? They should work only right window and back window don't work the correct way. The vertex illumination has no effect on the streaks as it should have. I also tried the 64-bit plugins. But with this 3ds max crashes as soon as i setup the exporter in the utilities tab in 3ds max. Had to redo the window but even than there are the same issues.

Do your rear windows water streaks run to the buttom of the window while standing still and while driving? @Nibiru

Maybe i just remention @Tuttle @Luc Van Camp and @Marcel Offermans and they can help here :)

15. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

Channel 2 uv's. You can change it from the unwrap uvw window.