Win 7 dedicated RF2 tips?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jiffymarker, Mar 6, 2013.

1. jiffymarker

jiffymarker Registered

Hello all!
    My system is 100% used for rf2, literally. Usually I format/reinstall Win7 every new build. I don't mind as it keeps the bugs out:)

I usually just install windows 7 64 default, mobo utilities, gpu drivers, torrent client, wheel drivers, rf2...race.

My question is this...
    Is there something I'm missing in windows settings that generally help gameplay performance/stability? A guide perhaps? I leave windows at absolute default + updates.

I know everyone's hardware is different, but I'm curious what tweaks you all are using in the windows environment to benefit the experience? Even an answer in point form will help, then I'll just google how to do it:)

I've got the nvidia stuff sorted out, but tbh, I'm a Mac guy and don't know windows very well...

2. Golanv

Golanv Registered

3. jiffymarker

jiffymarker Registered

Thanks G!
    I'll check that out ASAP!

I have read a few general guides before, they help me learn I suppose...

4. Golanv

Golanv Registered

Tweaking does help, depending how powerful pc you are running pretty much desides how much, or if you have ssd.

5. Diablo

Diablo Registered

I stopped that tweaking nonsense on my PC a while back. I´ve tried some and saw no benefit whatsoever, when it comes to gaming performance. Take turing off Aero for example, no difference with it on or off. If anything I gained 1 or 2 FPS, as weird as that might sound.
    The tweaks, Golanv has linked to, are hardly any improvement for gaming performance. They might make Windows itself a little more snappy and reduce boot time but the gains in gaming performance are virtually non-existent.

Also, when I read things like "Ultimate" in the same sentence with "tweaking" I roll my eyes, read a bit to see what´s what and yet again I see nothing that really does anything other than rip what are truly good features out of Windows 7. I mean, come on, how will disabling the "Snap" function gain you anything?

One would expect the true "killer" tweaks that really have the biggest gains at the top of such list, let´s see:
    - Disable Search indexing will hardly gain you anything, especially with todays multicore monsters of CPUs. What this will do is slow down the search function in the "Start" menu, which does a file search automatically. I grew very fond of that one, hardly use the menu any more, just type what I want and get quick and correct hits after just 2 keystrokes at times. Also, once the whole storage space is indexed it will only be updated, when there is content added or removed.
    - Disabling Aero, see above, virtually no difference.
    - Visual effects?! Really already out of steam? Yes it might make windows come up or mini-/maximize a little faster but that´s it, really.
    - Ohh, now a good one, disabling unwanted Windows Services. Be very careful there, you might get what you asked for, but if it matches what you wished for is a different story. Anyway, I was brave and tried a program that disables everything not necessary for running rFactor2. It disabled Aero, even the the Windows Explorer was shutdwon (no taskbar/tray/start menu etc.) and it stopped non-essential services. Performance difference in rFactor2 nil to a tad less than with all the bells and whistles.

My 2 cents on that. :)

Cheers,
    Marcus

P.S.: I hate Microsoft and Windows from the bottom of my hard, but Windows 7 makes it really hard for me to justify the hatred. ;)