Will this PC run rfactor 2...

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by Race on, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Race on

Race on Registered

Hi,

Would this PC be able to run rfactor 2 at all -

Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz CPU
    Gigabyte GA-EP43-S3L
    Asus GeForce 8800GT
    4GB DDR2 RAM
    250GB Sata HDD
    450W power supply
    windows 7 64bit
    22" lcd monitor

If so what type of settings would be possibel approx ? like meduim no shadows etc. or would i need to upgrade it ?

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2012
  2. Andreas Binz

Andreas Binz Registered

It runs, but in a very low resolution, low details and relatively little fps. Try it !

3. Race on

Race on Registered

ok, thanks for your reply, i was hoping to get around 40FPS - so if i upgraded the gpu would that help ? something like a HD6770.

Thank you.

4. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

When the beta first dropped I had a very similar system but with a GTX460 video cars. The experience was not very good even with the GTX460. It was choppy and I had to turn everything down and the FPS was still poor. The problem was stuttering and slow downs. Now that was with a very early build, but also a better video card.

With that system I'd either stick with Race On (which is still a great game) or try Game Stock Car. Don't go with rF2 until you upgrade your CPU and graphics card.

5. Race on

Race on Registered

Hi,

Thanks for reply & advice, Im a little bit dissapointed now to hear that, but i have only just bought the system for £230 so i cannot expect it to play the newer racing sims.

But i have read that i could overclock the system to get around 3.0ghz quad, now with that and something like HD 6770, im hopeing that would be ok on low settings 25 ai cars - 30fps or is that to optimistic ?

If not i will just stick with race on like you say & Gtr 2 etc and just buy rfactor 1 instead - as that i should be able to run max settings.

Thank you.

6. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

That's the way I'd go. Better to have a great experience with an older title (with lots of content) than be frustrated by trying to go with the newest game. In a couple years you know you'll be upgrading and you will have seen those older titles and you'll be ready to move on to rF2 which will have lots of content by then.

Race 07 series, GTR2 & rF1 are all great games. IMHO Game Stock Car would be the best for you to try or the Race 07 series, but lots of leagues still run GTR2 and rF1.

7. Jockenese

Jockenese Registered

I am running RF2 on the following the following:
    Pentium G840 (2.8 GHz)
    4 GB DDR3
    SATA HDD
    AMD 5670 (with 10% Overclock)
    Windows 7 64 Pro

I am running the latest build at @ 1680*1050, I have HDR and Level 1 AA switched on and in the game I have High/Medium settings. I am getting more than 40 fps in all tracks (up to 70 in some) other than Monaco, which I get between 30 and 45. Originally when I started the game up the fps were fairly poor, however as soon as I dropped the other players car details down to medium (from high) and number of cars on track to 10 performance was good and I was even able to switch HDR on. Don't get me wrong, I'd like to have everything switched up higher, but the game is more than playable and it still looks good. I still have my car, track, textures and effects all set to High, it was really just the opponent details, shadows and reflections that I had to compromise on.

I don't think your system is miles away from the spec above (would DDR2 vs DDR3 make that much of a difference!), so I'd imagine that you'll be able to get a totally acceptable experience with only a few settings turned down (definetly reduce other player car detail). You'll probably still want to upgrade but I wouldn't rule the game out, if the performance is that bad after trying some of the above you can always get a refund.

8. Pluginz1

Pluginz1 Registered

If you can overclock your Q6600 and purchase a better graphics card, it will run rFactor 2 no problem!!

My system is an Asus P5KE mobo, Q6600, 6Gb of ram and a HD5750

My settings in game running on a 32" Sony Bravia

As a test running 1600x900 x2 AA, with everything on low and reflections off, I managed 170Fps in garage with cockpit view. Could be tweaked for sure!

Thats fast enough isnt it? Game looked ok as well. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2012
  9. Race on

Race on Registered

Hi, Thanks for replys.

Im planning on overclocking the pc to around 3.0ghz and will also be buying a much better gpu something like HD6870 or better, and will be playing on 32" hdtv but i would lower the res to 1600X1200 - would then i run rfactor 2 with meduim settings, shadows off etc, about 30 AI cars and get around 40FPS ?

10. Pluginz1

Pluginz1 Registered

Ello m8.

3Ghz will be plenty yes. Nice graphics card choice :)

For the 32" TV the 1600x1200 might not be an option. The native 1360x768 is crap on my Sony so i dont bother with that. You are better off starting at the minimum 1080p setting which is 1280x800 and slowly working your way up, then 1366x768 - 1440x900 - 1600x900 - 1920x1080. These 4 resoultions keep the correct image size. You may also have to adjust the scaling after so it fits full screen.

My graphics card is only a HD5750 and with medium settings, shadows and effects off, 30 AI cars I managed about 40-60 Fps at race start!! Once the cars began to seperate frames were upto 120!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2012