will this ever be possible?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RacingDude123, Feb 1, 2011.

1. RacingDude123

RacingDude123 Registered

Could we ever see rFactor out on the consoles someday like PS3 or Xbox360? I think for one that it would be really cool to see and there are a lot of people that want a racing sim for the console systems. What do you think?

2. TChapman500

TChapman500 Registered

If it becomes a console game, it'll loose it's simulator quality. I don't want that.

3. beatnik

beatnik Registered

Look what happened when SimBin released Race Pro for XBOX 360. Yikes.

4. Uff

Uff Registered

That depends on the developers, not on the consoles. After all, Richard Burns Rally was released for PS2 too. ;)

5. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Yeah but going into consoles the whole incentive changes for a developer (i would asume anyways) from wanting to be a simulation developer for diehard users into a money making monster. thats what consoles do. rf would have to be tweaked for console racing (controls etc) and also marketed differently (much younger audience, cheap thrills, noob-friendly and a much more shallow experience so they dont shy away from it) and with doing that making more money then they would now (theoreticly of course)

Big difference between mass-market and niche market.

6. ORA-Quasi

ORA-Quasi Registered

Agreed. Generally speaking console users are after 'turn it on and have fun' without the effort that goes into successfully racing in a simulation, and therefor developers need to package it differently. GT5 is marketed as a simulation, but it will always be a game because that is its target audience.....console gamers.

7. RacingDude123

RacingDude123 Registered

What if you could choose between a simulation mode and arcade mode so the sim racers wont lose anything but the people that just want to turn it on and have fun can do it. Then for the modders, you make a website and upload your mods there and then from the website you can download them to the game? Just an idea.

8. mianiak

mianiak Registered

There already is a type of arcade mode, just turn on all the helpers, traction control, abs, spin correction etc, it's quite effective too. I don't always have my wheel set up so if I need to test something quick I use the keyboard, with all the helpers on, the car follows the aiw line, it will almost slow down and turn corners without you lifting your finger off the accelerator :D. I think it's great, for one of the best simulators, it is also one of the best arcade racers hehe. (lol I know, I shouldn't say things like that)

9. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Good point but I think RBR was an exception to the rule. Simbins console product was a total fail.

10. coops

coops Banned

I BLOODY HOPE NOT xbox and ps3 dont give a **** about there members or there complaints go play your baby games on there bye cya

11. RizoR

RizoR Registered

whatever ^^ said.I hate Consoleros trying to get such a amazing sim to a stupid xbox or PS3. Play NFS-**** & Co.And PLS don`t blame on rFactor.

12. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

I still think it's incredibly foolish for ISI to ignore the console market.

If I was in their shoes I would release the base version of rF2 for both the Xbox 360 and PS3 for $10-15. Additional ISI content that PC gamers get for free could then be monetized as DLC. The cost of having the game ported to both consoles by an outside company could easily be made back and it would surely entice more people to buy the PC version, which ISI makes more of a profit on.

Cost to port: $100k for each system
    Revenue @ $15 assuming 15k sales on each system, minus platform royalties: $315k
    Net profit not counting the potential for future DLC: $115k

13. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

I agree with you. It wouldn't hurt anybody to sell sim on console platform.
    But then we probably would wait for rF2 next 15 years ;)

Seriously: question is if hardcore sim will be selling on consoles. Another reason is mod-ability. Don't know if you can mod games easily. I believe it should on XBox

14. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

The line between console and PC blurs with each new system. Isn't it about time to check our egos at the door? I mean it is not like we all have rfpro with full motion simulators.

mclaren777, I think you miss the point of rf. It is a platform for people to build for it. Customize(Create) Control Connect clarifies concept. I know of no console that allows user made content on the level rf was built to accept. Where are you getting your numbers from? What is your authority on the subject? Have you read about Simbin's attempt in the console market? Anything can be made to look easy with hypothetical support data.

15. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

I'm just speculating about the cost of having a third party make the console ports.

And while I understand that modding is a big part of the rFactor experience, I still think ISI makes better content than anyone else. I would have gladly paid $20+ for rF1 on the PS3 if it was just the basic content and I'm guessing that rF2 will be even better.

Regarding Race Pro: I think it was foolish of them to release it only on the Xbox 360 given that Logitech wheels don't work with that platform. I'm also not convinced that making it a $60 retail game was the best idea given the popularity of XBLA and the way digital distribution favors lower prices (eg, Apple's App Store).

[​IMG]

16. beatnik

beatnik Registered

You must also take into account the fact the game dropped its pricing failry quick. Race Pro was a valiant effort, but it was buggy and seemed out dated. SimBin gave it a shot though and realized their strength was obviously on the PC.

17. Golly

Golly Registered

Think about it, yes the console platforms would be good business for RF2, but what is RF all about. Being able to modify the game and create tracks, cars etc. If RF2 was to be released for consoles, it would need to be as big as GT5, Forza etc in content. I dont think RF2 will be much bigger than 1 as in content, but quality will be their of course. How does one download content for consoles and install..... would be a tad difficult wouldnt it ?:confused:

18. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

That's the point I'm trying to make--it doesn't need to be as large as GT5/FM3.

I think a console version of rFactor 2 should be downloadable via XBLA/PSN. It would be the stock content (official ISI cars/tracks) and it would only cost $15. When ISI releases future content for the PC version, they could choose whether to also release that content for consoles as $5 DLC. This strategy would allow ISI to turn a profit on the console versions, and it would also work as a gateway drug for future sales of the PC version. I envision console gamers discovering rF2, falling in love, and then eventually buying the $40 PC version for the mods.

An established porting company (like World Domination Industries) would handle bringing rF2 to both consoles, which would free up ISI to continue focusing on the PC version. ISI would profit from both the console versions and the potential future sales of the PC version when people double-dip.

It's a win-win for everyone involved.

19. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Everything I have seen makes me doubt it greatly.

20. buzz hornet

buzz hornet Registered

Codemasters F1 effort is enough to say that I hope and pray that ISI don't ever go to a console based game.